ADVERTISEMENT

OT - whole house generator

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
8 months ago I posted some questions on selecting a whole house generator and got some advice from the AKB about various models and options. Finally the Generac 22v model I ordered is getting installed. Due to all the hurricanes in the south and in Texas and the building boom, these things were WAY back ordered. My dealer said he had never seen anything like it before. But alas I should now be protected when the next hurricane season arrives, and from reading some recent reports released by the EPA it appears that the ice melt will have the effect of more frequent storms and flooding. I’m not sure about heavy snowfalls, but the downed trees are what usually cause power outages in my area of PA. It’s all about peace of mind, I know, and this baby should keep me warm in winter and cool in the summer heat when the electricity goes out. Now if we could just find a way to deal with all the pollen and impending locust invasion, we can totally isolate ourselves from environmental inconveniences!

Last edited:
Good for you. I could use one here in Louisiana but don't want to spend the money.

8 months ago I posted some questions on selecting a whole house generator and got some advice from the AKB about various models and options. Finally the Generac 22v model I ordered is getting installed. Due to all the hurricanes in the south and in Texas and the building boom, these things were WAY back ordered. My dealer said he had never seen anything like it before. But alas I should now be protected when the next hurricane season arrives, and from reading some recent reports released by the EPA it appears that the ice melt will have the effect of more frequent storms and flooding. I’m not sure about heavy snowfalls, but the downed trees are what usually cause power outages in my area of PA. It’s all about peace of mind, I know, and this baby should keep me warm in winter and cool in the summer heat when the electricity goes out. Now if we could just find a way to deal with all the pollen and impending locust invasion, we can totally isolate ourselves from environmental inconveniences!

I have a 30kw Kohler here in south florida. They were just out here the other day checking it over and making sure its all systems go for hurricane season. If you haven't yet I would consider getting a service contract with someone. Most places put you at the bottom of the repair list if you need any kind of service if you don't have a service contract with them. We all know it's when you are heavily using it that it needs service not when its just sitting there not being used.

Reactions: whart and Nitwit
To each their own.

I live 2 blocks from the ocean. After our horrid 2004 hurricane season, where we were without power for a total of 17 days, the whole house generators were all the rage. I almost pulled the trigger.

Since then, FPL has hardened the infrastructure and has learned a ton about restoring power. We were out 24 hours from Matthew and about 25 hours from Irma.

I don't have a single friend who is happy that they dropped 5 figures on a system they've used a total of 2 days over the last 7 or so years. A system that rusts and requires constant maintenance. One friend recently facing about $1200 in repairs just ripped it out.

Personally I don't get it, but it's your money. Does your power go out enough to justify that expense? If someone told me I was going to be without power for 1 or 2 days a year, I certainly wouldn't drop 10 grand to prevent it. I've got my 550W portable that will run my fridge and a window unit.

Only you can put a price on your discomfort though....I hope you are happy with your purchase 5 years from now.

Reactions: ClarkstonMark
To each their own.

I live 2 blocks from the ocean. After our horrid 2004 hurricane season, where we were without power for a total of 17 days, the whole house generators were all the rage. I almost pulled the trigger.

Since then, FPL has hardened the infrastructure and has learned a ton about restoring power. We were out 24 hours from Matthew and about 25 hours from Irma.

I don't have a single friend who is happy that they dropped 5 figures on a system they've used a total of 2 days over the last 7 or so years. A system that rusts and requires constant maintenance. One friend recently facing about $1200 in repairs just ripped it out.

Personally I don't get it, but it's your money. Does your power go out enough to justify that expense? If someone told me I was going to be without power for 1 or 2 days a year, I certainly wouldn't drop 10 grand to prevent it. I've got my 550W portable that will run my fridge and a window unit.

Only you can put a price on your discomfort though....I hope you are happy with your purchase 5 years from now.
We have a whole house. 22kw, which installed was about $7000 installed
This past winter we had an ice storm. The town was out of power for about 10 days. Outside temp was about 15 during that time. We are glad we had it as there was no place to go

this summer I suspect we’ll be out a few days when it’s 90+
So there’s that

Reactions: PearlSUJam

If you live in an older area (I live outside of Philly) with lots of above ground power lines, it’s an absolute must. We bought this house in 2017 and it came with the generator and I didn’t give it much thought at the time when we bought it. 3 months later, our neighborhood was without power for 5 days from all of the downed trees from back to back Nor’easters and we were all systems go. Have been without power maybe 10 days in 4 years. Definitely worth the investment.

Reactions: Delco Lion
To each their own.

5 figures? Damn. A full tank of gas can go a long way to avoid discomfort. Now to be able to stay at home to make quick repairs in the event of hurricane damage ..... maybe 5 figures is a steal. One thing that i have learned though from living recently in the deep south.... no air conditioning is worse than death. Northern cold will never kill me.

Its like carrying an umbrella. Once you get one you will hardly ever use one. We got our inline generator 10 years ago and it has only gone on for more than 30 minutes twice. But hey, it definitely worth it for peace of mind. I'm glad we are protected.

Reactions: sluggo72
I had a Generac 12,500 Kwh that lasted about 15 years but was not large enough to run even one AC unit but did run furnaces, hot water heaters, both fridges and a lot more. Used it maybe 4 times and at most a half a day one time. Maintenance is not cheap and while nice, was overkill imo. Better option for me instead of replace is buy portable gas generator to run one refrigerator, one hot water heater and one plug for charging cell phones/laptops. For lights we use LED lanterns. Never had a summer storm that knocked out AC in all that time. Now, if that happens, I'll put the family in the car and spend a couple nights in a nice hotel that has power whether that be N, S, E or W out of Nashville.

My house uses electricity for everything. Well pump, water heater, septic pump, ....I lose power at least once a month in spite of the efforts of the power company to keep the overhead lines free from debris. Just lost it last week on a nice sunny day. Installed a whole house 15kw generator 2 months before hurricane Sandy for 4 grand. Sure beats shlepping a portable generator outside and dealing with gasoline every time it goes out.

To each their own.

Very happy with my generator. 30kw Kohler commercial grade that powers the whole house easily including the pool filter. Would not live in FL without one. Gives me great peace knowing we can run almost endlessly on a generator. We are due for another active season and having Irma a Cat 5 on a doorstep for more than a few days I was very happy to have my generator. Not sure what generators your friends have but mine does not rust at all and has required no maintenance so far other than the yearly check up. To each their own and I will sleep quite well knowing I have it when I need it.

Very happy with my generator. 30kw Kohler commercial grade that powers the whole house easily including the pool filter. Would not live in FL without one. Gives me great peace knowing we can run almost endlessly on a generator. We are due for another active season and having Irma a Cat 5 on a doorstep for more than a few days I was very happy to have my generator. Not sure what generators your friends have but mine does not rust at all and has required no maintenance so far other than the yearly check up. To each their own and I will sleep quite well knowing I have it when I need it.
what fuel does it use?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT