ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Weekend Jukebox - Whatcha Got?

MtNittany

May 29, 2001
Finally got around to watching most of the 2 hour Skynyrd documentary. Meh. Found it interesting that RVZ insisted EVERYTHING be rehearsed. No ad lib guitar solos ever on tour - it was all thought out. They wanted to sound exactly like the studio when on tour, as opposed to The Allmans who just said there's 3 minutes - go play. Sort of like the Allman's approach better, but who am I. They also mentioned ARS - who was the most polished of all of them probably.

Have to re-post this - early Stray Cats. A Gretsch, an old stand-up base, and a stand-up drum kit that looks like it came from the Sears catalog + 100K people (and Setzer chugs a beer):

Same concert:

From around the same time - the most ironic cover ever? Underrated band.

"Lovers of the World Unite" by David and Jonathan (Cook and Greenaway).

Last edited:
Here you go Fair. Perry lived here in Jupiter since the 60's. Directly between me and the beach is the Perry Como Pavilion - a cool picnic area w/ some volleyball courts. He was known by the kids as the one who gave out the BIG Hershey bars at Halloween. I had the pleasure of meeting him more than once, and it was always indeed a pleasure. Nicest person you'd ever hope to meet.

Here you go Fair. Perry lived out the last half of his life in Jupiter. He was known by the kids as the one who gave out the BIG Hershey bars at Halloween. I had the pleasure of meeting him more than once, and it was always indeed a pleasure. Nicest person you'd ever hope to meet.

Perry was indeed a gentleman in every sense of the word and was a superb singer. I always looked forward to his Christmas specials.

Sort of unrelated, but for anyone that likes True Grit and hasn't seen this video - you need to watch it - done a long time ago. Something wrong w/ the audio to start, but deal w/ it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Victor E. Bell
Yesterday I found a mint condition German 1st pressing of Black Sabbath Paranoid. Vertigo Swirls. It's really hardcore.

Also first pressings of Rush 2112 and Pink Floyd Piper at the Gates of Dawn! It was one of those crazy trips to the record store where you can't believe what the cat dragged in. So I'll be spinning all of that all weekend.

Right now we have a Who's Next W-1 cut rotating.

Reactions: bytir and MtNittany
Here you go Fair. Perry lived here in Jupiter since the 60's. Directly between me and the beach is the Perry Como Pavilion - a cool picnic area w/ some volleyball courts. He was known by the kids as the one who gave out the BIG Hershey bars at Halloween. I had the pleasure of meeting him more than once, and it was always indeed a pleasure. Nicest person you'd ever hope to meet.

My folks used to see him at Publix in Tequesta once in a while. People didn't bother him, but he would always smile, and say hello. I just spent three days in the car, coming home from your town. I've had enough music for a little while!

I am not going to pst any music YET. But I would like to say that “
“Weekend Jukebox” is one of my favorite threads. Keep the music coming

Sort of unrelated, but for anyone that likes True Grit and hasn't seen this video - you need to watch it - done a long time ago. Something wrong w/ the audio to start, but deal w/ it.

Somebody (perhaps you?) posted this before and it is great. Maybe my favorite movie ever. I had to see the remake and it was actually pretty good, closer to the book but the scenery in the original is unmatched although out of place for the story. Jeremiah Johnson might be a close second for scenery. What a movie, the original True Grit (and JJ as well, pilgrim.)

My folks used to see him at Publix in Tequesta once in a while. People didn't bother him, but he would always smile, and say hello. I just spent three days in the car, coming home from your town. I've had enough music for a little while!
Big news down here Mich....Dune Dog opening in Stuart. They just hit the food lottery up there.

Perry used to play in the M/G at Cypress (now Dye Preserve). He was a member at Tequesta CC. I saw him the day before Mothers Day once and I asked him if he had any words for my Mom (who adored him) and he said tell her I send her a big, warm hug. I think that was the time when Mom became ok w/ me being in the golf business.

Reactions: MICH.Nit Fan
Somebody (perhaps you?) posted this before and it is great. Maybe my favorite movie ever. I had to see the remake and it was actually pretty good, closer to the book but the scenery in the original is unmatched although out of place for the story. Jeremiah Johnson might be a close second for scenery. What a movie, the original True Grit (and JJ as well, pilgrim.)
I don't know if a version disappeared from youtube? I didn't remember the quality being that bad. Thing is I haven't seen it in years. Too bad it wasn't done w/ today's resolutions. It was brilliantly done though.

Big news down here Mich....Dune Dog opening in Stuart. They just hit the food lottery up there.

Perry used to play in the M/G at Cypress (now Dye Preserve). He was a member at Tequesta CC. I saw him the day before Mothers Day once and I asked him if he had any words for my Mom (who adored him) and he said tell her I send her a big, warm hug. I think that was the time when Mom became ok w/ me being in the golf business.
Dune Dog's Jupiter location is like a license to print money. I haven't even been there for several years, as there is always a freaking line. Well that, and the short curly hair incident that we don't bring up with my mother. ;)

Another (now former) Jupiter Inlet Colony resident - not far from Perry's old house. I went to an appointment w/ a contractor. She was there. She asked me to follow her around to the back of the house. I would have followed her right into the intracoastal waterway. Never got the job because a sub-contractor shot/killed himself in her garage and she put it up for sale.

Last edited:
Finally got around to watching most of the 2 hour Skynyrd documentary. Meh. Found it interesting that RVZ insisted EVERYTHING be rehearsed. No ad lib guitar solos ever on tour - it was all thought out. They wanted to sound exactly like the studio when on tour, as opposed to The Allmans who just said there's 3 minutes - go play. Sort of like the Allman's approach better, but who am I. They also mentioned ARS - who was the most polished of all of them probably.

Have to re-post this - early Stray Cats. A Gretsch, an old stand-up base, and a stand-up drum kit that looks like it came from the Sears catalog + 100K people (and Setzer chugs a beer):

Same concert:

From around the same time - the most ironic cover ever? Underrated band.

Reactions: Grant Green
This is a bit of a forgotten gem from the 90s. Dan Baird was lead singer of the Georgia Satelites, then put out this solo album. Loved this song the first time I heard it when I was the younger face. Nowadays, it kind of slaps me in the face but I still love it.

Heard this band/song for the first time in the series ending episode of Longmire. At the risk of being that old guy who “discovers” a new band that has already been out for awhile, I really enjoy their sound (and particularly this song)...

Reactions: massimoManca II
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT