ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Watched Longmier and Breaking Bad - wife asked me to find a new series to watch.

I would immediately recommend The Wire, Homeland, and Fargo.

Some others that may not be above

The Missing (Starz) – Season 2 in particular
The Night Of (HBO) – standalone season with clear ending - Turturro
The Bridge (FX) – canceled after season 2, but no cliffhanger - focus on US/Mex border
Lost – this and Good Wife are arguably the best network dramas of the 20 years
The OA (Netflix) - premiere episode is really cool – lots of risks taken in writing (if you appreciate that)

Not overrated, IMO, but not the gold standard for 00's TV as many say. It's essentially three stories - the first is the very clumsy first season, the next is the much better seasons 2-4, and the final is seasons 5-6. You get the sense the show was going to end after season 4, but it's cult popularity and critical success at the Emmy's gave AMC pause. It's a fine show, but nowhere near as ambitious or compelling as other stuff out there IMO - Mad Men, The Soprano's, The Wire, Game of Thrones, Deadwood - that's the best of the bunch IMO.
Just finished Breaking Bad, and agree that it may have jumped the shark prior to the last season (likely due to its own success). That said, I didn't mind the final season, but felt there were moments along the story in which they could have ended it better (won't name any specifics in case anyone hasn't yet seen it).

Overall though I loved the premise...Everyman stuck in job beneath his skills set, gets dealt a shitty hand healthwise, and decides to ride out the rest of his days completely against the grain. Something we all would probably aspire to in his shoes (perhaps less the violence and illegality).

About to start Better Call Saul now that season 2 will be available on Netflix at end of the month. Very much looking forward to it.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Also just started Bloodline on Netflix...after a few episodes, really like it so far. Just read season 3 will be its last, so hope that means it won't jump the shark.

Reactions: Rollin Stone
Goliath (Amazon) with Billy Bob Thornton
Red Oaks (Amazon)
Sneaky Pete (Netflix)
Amerikans (Netflix)
The Ranch (Netflix)
Bloodline (Netflix)
Flaked (Netflix)

Goliath (Amazon) with Billy Bob Thornton
Red Oaks (Amazon)
Sneaky Pete (Netflix)
Amerikans (Netflix)
The Ranch (Netflix)
Bloodline (Netflix)
Flaked (Netflix)
Red Oaks and The Ranch are both good. And so is Bloodline.

hmmm that leaves a lot of good stuff out.
Luke Cage, Daredevil, Jessica Jones are all terrific. Iron fists rolls out next week (I think)
Stranger Things is another. If you liked The Goonies you'll like Stranger Things.
outside of those
I would suggest in no order
Better Call Saul (at least the first season is on so it shouldn't be too long until season 2 is available)
Sons of Anarchy
Weeds (loved the first 4 seasons, last few got really tough to watch).
Dexter (same as Weeds) it was awesome up to the season of the Tranquility Killer and then just went down hill after with the last 2 seasons being pretty bad.
Portlandia is pretty fun
House of Cards. (not my favorite but many people like it)
Peaky Blinders
Luther is awesome
I think Buffy The Vampire Slayer is still around (sorry I love that series)
Sons of Anarchy is great if you like cigarettes!

VIP with Pamela Anderson was a quality television show with impeccable acting, creative scripts, and visionary direction

Lots of good suggestions above. I especially liked Bloodlines. Here is another - River (on Netflix). It's a British detective series. Not too many episodes, maybe 6, and just one season long. Also the original British version of House of Cards, also just one season. It was filmed back in the 90s, and the American version is based closely on this, accounting for the difference in the Parliamentary system of course.

Last edited:
Rectify - All 4 seasons are on Netflix. Only thing I can think of that's not already posted.

It's close to doing that. Glad to hear the third season will be the last; it's sad to watch a show pointlessly wind down.
I read the show was supposed to run for six seasons, but Netflix is pulling the plug due to high production costs. There is still a remote chance that someone else picks it up.

Bloodline has terrific production quality, really, really first-rate.
I really really liked it , that said my sister and BIL, live in Key Largo, and really could not get into at all! Too many inside shots for their tastes, iirc.

Reactions: LionJim
I really really liked it , that said my sister and BIL, live in Key Largo, and really could not get into at all! Too many inside shots for their tastes, iirc.
I can imagine how it would make locals uncomfortable. Most white collar people are able to go about their daily activities while shutting out the rifraff element. If you live where Bloodline takes place, it probably hits too close to home, seeing how the rotten underbelly of society goes about their business virtually in your backyard.

Reactions: clickhere 01
Justified (FX)
Peaky Blinders (Netflix)
The Americans (FX)
Better Call Saul (AMC)
Fargo (Seasons 1-2 FX)
Mad Men (AMC/Netflix)
Halt and Catch Fire (AMC)
Game of Thrones (HBO)
Homeland (Showtime)
Hell on Wheels (AMC/Netflix)
Deadwood (HBO)
The Sopranos (HBO)
More or less a list of my favorite shows.
Dude, have you still not watched the Wire? You really need to remedy that.

Also, I think you will like Narcos.

I know they are sorta scifi-ish (no aliens or spaceships and they take place in present day) but my two favorite shows are:

Orphan Black (BBC America)- Woman discovers she has clones
Mr. Robot (USA)- Crazy hacker takes down the world economy

If you like English detective shows try (all on Netflix):
Inspector George Gently
Midsommer Murders
Foyle's War

Some have said season 2 of The Wire isn't good,but if you're from Bmore there is so much truth to the Greeks working and living on Alisanna

Reactions: BBrown
Some have said season 2 of The Wire isn't good,but if you're from Bmore there is so much truth to the Greeks working and living on Alisanna

Agree. Wasn't my favorite season either but talking with some old timers that worked at Sparrows Point it was dead on.

I know they are sorta scifi-ish (no aliens or spaceships and they take place in present day) but my two favorite shows are:

Orphan Black (BBC America)- Woman discovers she has clones
Mr. Robot (USA)- Crazy hacker takes down the world economy

If you like English detective shows try (all on Netflix):
Inspector George Gently
Midsommer Murders
Foyle's War

Sherlock too though each episode is practically a movie at nearly 90 minutes...

Bloodline season 1 was great, season 2 really disappointed-- until the last 5 minutes of the last episode... now I await season 3.
Narcos was amazing. Someone said season 2 was sublime, I agree.
Watching Peaky Blinders now and love it.
Taboo season 1 was also outstanding
Loved the first 6 episodes of Black Mirror but didn't care for much of the latest batch

Watching Bloodchurch right now, 5 Episodes into the first season. Holy Cow can they have any other people be potential suspects? I think everyone in the show is a suspect. Will Watch Sneaky Pete next.

I want to watch Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul, do people recommend Breaking Bad first or it doesn't matter? Not sure the wife will be into BB, which is OK because she is watching Downton Abbey and I'm not really into that. The difference is I can't watch a show I want if she is around and if she is around then it means, there is a good chance I am going to have watch a show that she is into, until she goes to bed.

10 O'clock = my TV time.

Wallander is a good show on netflix. My wife and I prefer the Swedish version better than the English version...yes, you have to read.

Reactions: LionJim
Entourage....proof that an abundance of talent (see hot women) can compensate for some ridiculous story lines and sub par acting. I've seen every episode multiple times...may have to start it up again tonight.

Sopranos - best show ever.

I recommended it above, but seriously, for any Amazon users, check out Red Oaks. Here is the review that turned me on to it

http://www.weeklystandard.com/welcome-to-the-club/article/2006149

I suppose you'd call Red Oaks a sitcom because each episode runs a half-hour, and it centers on college-age kids working at a country club. Its direct cinematic influences are the golf comedy Caddyshack, the coming-of-age-at-a-beach-club Matt Dillon picture called TheFlamingo Kid, and the high-school-kids-warts-and-all Fast Times at Ridgemont High. But it's not jokey, it's not wild and wacky, and it's not exaggerated.

It is, rather, a pitch-perfect re-creation of a certain time (1985), a certain place (northern New Jersey), and a certain type of people (secular Jews). If Philip Roth had written a screenplay for a film directed by John Hughes, Red Oaks would have been the result. Call it Goodbye, Columbus meets Risky Business. I would never have believed that such a mash-up could be anything but a calamity, but Red Oaks is something very special.

Bosh is really good, a few actors from 'The Wire' are in it. Lance Reddick (Cedric), Jamie Hector (Marlo), James Ransone (ziggy).

Not mentioned yet
The Leftovers (HBO) - Third and final season in April. I'm a huge Lost fan and Lindelof kills it with this show. Has some of the best episodes of tv I have ever seen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT