ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Vitamin recommendations if you please! Vitamins that actually work!!

I spoke with a surgeon that is well-versed in immunology. Indicated that substantial does of D3 (5000 per day) can usually be well-tolerated, especially if you are not regularly exposed to sunlight. Blood levels need to be established. Said some doctors give 50,000 units (The Hammer) one time to those with acute inflammation or flu syndrome. Must use with Zinc. Also indicated that many immunologists use Elderberry gummies daily to avoid any influenza and IT WORKS. Uses elderberry syrup for patients with acute infections. I know two individuals who have used elderberry lozenges and ZInc for over 5 years with no flu or colds! Go figure!

Answer away folks.

I do a Centrium Silver for men.
I spoke with a surgeon that is well-versed in immunology. Indicated that substantial does of D3 (5000 per day) can usually be well-tolerated, especially if you are not regularly exposed to sunlight. Blood levels need to be established. Said some doctors give 50,000 units (The Hammer) one time to those with acute inflammation or flu syndrome. Must use with Zinc. Also indicated that many immunologists use Elderberry gummies daily to avoid any influenza and IT WORKS. Uses elderberry syrup for patients with acute infections. I know two individuals who have used elderberry lozenges and ZInc for over 5 years with no flu or colds! Go figure!

I do the Centrum Silver
Airborne Elderberry Gummies or the Sambucol which ever is avialable
Occuvite (macular degeneration is on both sides of my family)
a Timed release C
Zinc
and a Tumeric & Curcumin
and finally a beet root vitamin.
I also do some pretty heavy juicing of Veggies (Kale, Beet, Carrot, Celery, parsley, ginger) or Fruit. But its not cheap.
but then neither are the vitamins.

Reactions: TheGLOV

I do the Centrum Silver
a Timed release C
Zinc
and a Tumeric & Curcumin
I also do some pretty heavy juicing of Veggies (Kale, Beet, Carrot, Celery, parsley, ginger) or Fruit. But its not cheap.

I also juice, carrots, apple, celery, and fresh beets are the ingredients. Occasionally an ounce of vodka finds its way into the cocktail!!!

Reactions: TheGLOV and BBrown

I do the Centrum Silver
a Timed release C
Zinc
and a Tumeric & Curcumin

BB - Your line-up is VERY similar to mine (note my earlier post). 👍

Reactions: TheGLOV and BBrown
The most recent study did not show a benefit of fish oil for heart health.
I would not rely just on this this study. You need to examine how it was conducted. There are also many other studies clinically demonstrating how Omega 3's in Fish Oil improve cardiovascular health.

One of the vitamins I take is a Kirkland B12, according to the bottle it provides a 208,333% of the daily requirement. Why??

I would not rely just on this this study. You need to examine how it was conducted. There are also many other studies clinically demonstrating how Omega 3's in Fish Oil improve cardiovascular health.

I'm not sure why people think supplements give you the same effect as getting the same compound in real food. While it's dated, Michel Polland made a reasonable observation about vitamins, ect in supplements in his book In Defense of Food. Taking beta carrotine in a pill is not the same thing as getting it from carrots. There are hundreds of potential compounds in a carrot that interact with the beta carrotine that makes it effective. You don't get those compounds in a pill. Eat more raw/whole foods and you will be ok as opposed to our Western diet and popping a bunch of supplements and you will be ok.

D and lots of it. I’ve heard many times that D is the most essential of all vitamins. I also take B complex with lots of B 12. I am currently taking an immune booster with loads of D, C and zinc. In normal times it was just a bunch of D, but I will probably stick with the immune booster for some time.

I concur. Vitamins B, C, D3, and Zinc are all "good stuff". I would however caution you from taking "lots of Zinc" as this can result in a significant imbalance in copper levels (a necessary TRACE mineral as is zinc) resulting in serious bodily dysfunctions if not corrected (such as night blindness, macular degeneration, slow healing wounds, mental lethargy or brain fog, and a high rate of chronic infections just to name a few of the many possible dysfunctions). I take 20 or 30 mg (maximum) per day of zinc, with a trace mineral blend containing copper once per week, skipping that daily 30mg zinc since it is in the trace mineral blend (at 20mg). An 8 to 1 ratio of zinc to copper is about ideal. So taking "lots of zinc" is not conducive to optimal health. Both are important to your immune health in differing ways but avoid an imbalance.

Vitamin K2 (as Menaquinone 4 OR 7) should ALWAYS be taken with Vitamin D3...ALWAYS!!! K2 (it is also fat-soluble) acts sort of like a "traffic cop" for D3 directing it to deliver calcium to appropriate areas of the body (such as the bones). Without it, D3 is a bit "lost" and delivers a significant amount of calcium to your arteries (bad Ju Ju). Buy your K2 in gelcap form (mixed with an oil to optimize its absorption) and not in powdered form (capsules). You will most likely have to do this online as few drug stores and vitamin shops, if any, carry K2 in gelcaps.

K2 is absolutely critical to proper bone formation as it activates proteins essential to that process. Also, do NOT confuse Vitamin K1 with K2; they are different in both form and function. 100mcg of K2 taken for every 1000IU of D3 is optimal. Due to significant dietary changes during the last 120 years almost all Americans have a significant Vitamin K2 deficiency. It is nearly impossible to correct this K2 deficiency through diet alone unless you eat lots of specific cheeses, such as Brie or Gouda, Natto, eel, and organ meats. Supplementation with K2 is therefore essential for most. Vitamin K1 on the other hand is fairly plentiful in our diets (green leafy vegetables such as kale, spinach, broccoli to name a few sources).

Last edited:
I love salmon and am trying to eat more of it.

And my eye doctor just started me on a specific type of Omega-3 supplements, because she saw some early precursor/warning signs of macular degeneration. She said that certain elements

Seriously, do you want to drastically improve your eye health (and function)? Then take one capsule of vitacost.com's Synergy Saffron Extract with Saffr'Activ® twice daily (once when you awake in the morning and one at bedtime) for thirty days, and then one per day for the next 60 days. Your sight should improve dramatically such that you will be able to drop down and read smaller print at least one or perhaps two lines below what you can read now. Also, your night vision will improve somewhat. Concentrated saffron extract may also eliminate early-stage macular degeneration or at least slow down its advancement. I dropped two lines by the way and no longer wear eyeglasses (after doing so for 62 years)! I can see better at age 69 than I could at age 16 and passed my driver's eye exam for the first time without glasses at the age of 65!

The saffron alone might do the trick but if combined with LifeExtension.com's "MacuGuard" you should realize a dramatic improvement in your visual acuity. Omega-3 supplements will NOT improve your visual acuity although they may (or may not) help reduce or prevent macular degeneration. I am skeptical about that. Very few eye doctors know about the dramatic benefits that concentrated saffron extracts can bestow on their patients, and that's just too bad. Life Extension and Swanson Vitamins websites sell a similar Saffron extract product that is also effective (but at a higher cost). Ironically, these Saffron capsules are marketed for their weight-loss potential (via reduction of appetite) and not so much for their possible contribution to eye health.

I have friends in their 60s that have thanked me profusely for passing on this little bit of advice. One that had early-stage macular generation is especially grateful. Her macular degeneration symptoms have all disappeared. The saffron may slow down cataract formation too but I can't find research to confirm that.

"Vitamins that actually work!!"

To do what exactly? You can certainly peruse ncbi.nlm.nih.gov to find scientific support for some supplements for a specific benefit.

cholesterol/heart: ALA, Garlic, Niacin, CoQ10
blood pressure: l-arginine
collagen synthesis: Vitamin C, retin-a(prescription)
Nerve function: B12(methyl), ALA
Bone density: calcium
joint pain: collagen powder
immune system health: vit-D, zinc

Snake oil alerts:
weight loss
hormonal increases(testosterone/hGH boosters do not work)
hair regrowth
anti-aging
cognitive enhancement
chronic pain relief
cancer cures

I will say that after 40 when your DNA repair systems begin to degrade, the "medical consensus" that you get all the nutrition you need from a well-balanced diet is not right. Supplements are a big business because medical science generally has no treatment(or limited treatments) for a host of age-related chronic conditions.

The Fat-soluble vitamins are A,D,E and K. Those distribute into your tissues and thus, you can take too much of those. The others are water soluble and you do pee out "excess". Many are deficient in D and there are some COVID studies about worse outcomes in those that are deficient. But make sure you don't "overdose" on the fat soluble vitamins.

Vitamin C data for COVID is weak at best. It is water soluble. However, it can increase risk of kidney stones. So taking a lot it is harmless for MOST people. Zinc, green tea, and turmeric have some data supporting immune help.

I do the Centrum Silver
a Timed release C
Zinc
and a Tumeric & Curcumin

Unfortunately, there is no vitamin K2 in Centrum Silver. The human gut is very inefficient in converting vitamin K1 to K2 which means about 98% of Americans are deficient in K2. For most, the most practical and easiest solution to eliminating this critical deficiency is supplementation with K2 gel caps (only available online as VERY few vitamin stores carry the "mixed with oil" gel cap forms). Non-gel cap forms of powdered K2 are poorly absorbed.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, there is no vitamin K2 in Centrum Silver. The human gut is very inefficient in converting vitamin K1 to K2 which means about 98% of Americans are deficient in K2. For most, the most practical and easiest solution to eliminating this critical deficiency is supplementation with K2 gel caps (only available online as VERY few vitamin stores carry the "mixed with oil" gel cap forms). Non-gel cap forms of powdered K2 are poorly absorbed.

I do the yogurt and the drinks that have probiotics in them. They seem to be working for me.

Fish Oil good for heart health
Large, good quality study just out shows no benefit wrt heart health and fish oil. In fact, the strongest evidence found was that those taking fish oil had a higher incidence of afib.

Lysine supplements for anyone who gets cold sores. There’s interesting science behind it. I can tell a difference.

Seriously, do you want to drastically improve your eye health (and function)? Then take one capsule of vitacost.com's Synergy Saffron Extract with Saffr'Activ® twice daily (once when you awake in the morning and one at bedtime) for thirty days, and then one per day for the next 60 days. Your sight should improve dramatically such that you will be able to drop down and read smaller print at least one or perhaps two lines below what you can read now. Also, your night vision will improve somewhat. Concentrated saffron extract may also eliminate early-stage macular degeneration or at least slow down its advancement. I dropped two lines by the way and no longer wear eyeglasses (after doing so for 62 years)! I can see better at age 69 than I could at age 16 and passed my driver's eye exam for the first time without glasses at the age of 65!

The saffron alone might do the trick but if combined with LifeExtension.com's "MacuGuard" you should realize a dramatic improvement in your visual acuity. Omega-3 supplements will NOT improve your visual acuity although they may (or may not) help reduce or prevent macular degeneration. I am skeptical about that. Very few eye doctors know about the dramatic benefits that concentrated saffron extracts can bestow on their patients, and that's just too bad. Life Extension and Swanson Vitamins websites sell a similar Saffron extract product that is also effective (but at a higher cost). Ironically, these Saffron capsules are marketed for their weight-loss potential (via reduction of appetite) and not so much for their possible contribution to eye health.

I have friends in their 60s that have thanked me profusely for passing on this little bit of advice. One that had early-stage macular generation is especially grateful. Her macular degeneration symptoms have all disappeared. The saffron may slow down cataract formation too but I can't find research to confirm that.
I am very curious to learn more.

Any scientific studies you can point?

I know that consuming vitamins is an essential requirement for any sportsmen. I used to play soccer for more than 10 years. My daily nutrition was well-balanced. And now I want to boast a little... I was never replaced when on the pitch due to an injury, can you believe it? Oh, only once, sorry... When I had a bleeding nose after the ball hitting my face. That's all. Nowadays, I play soccer rarely more than 1 time a week. And I wanted to ask for your advice. Would you suggest me buying this lovely easy-to-use deep pressure self-massager in order to make my muscles a little bit more relaxed after a hard-working day? All thoughts will be appreciated.

Last edited:
I am very curious to learn more.

Any scientific studies you can point?

I have a reference tucked away in a box but can't readily find it. Still looking. The proof is in the pudding though...this stuff really works...went from 20/200 to 20/40ish. The only drawback...you have to take the SAFFRON Extract every day (forever) or your eyes will revert back to their original visual acuity fairly quickly. Three friends have also tried it now, all with positive results. Oh, and I can still read the fine print (now)...again, I'm 69 1/2 years old!

I have a reference tucked away in a box but can't readily find it. Still looking. The proof is in the pudding though...this stuff really works...went from 20/200 to 20/40ish. The only drawback...you have to take the SAFFRON Extract every day (forever) or your eyes will revert back to their original visual acuity fairly quickly. Three friends have also tried it now, all with positive results. Oh, and I can still read the fine print (now)...again, I'm 69 1/2 years old!
Amazing...any negative side effects?

Large, good quality study just out shows no benefit wrt heart health and fish oil. In fact, the strongest evidence found was that those taking fish oil had a higher incidence of afib.
Well, there is a bunch of contrary evidence showing the heart health benefits of fish oil. So it is an individual choice.

Amazing...any negative side effects?

No side effects as long as you do not take in excess. There is likely a "lethal dose" but you would have to be taking foolishly large amounts of the stuff on a daily basis. I am currently taking two capsules per day (one Vitacost supplement--Saffir Activ-- discussed previously, when I awake in the morning and one Life Extension "MacuGuard"--which includes saffron along with other ingredients beneficial to eye health just before bedtime). Saffron does reduce my appetite. Of course, that is what it is usually advertised to do. It is puzzling to me why its benefits to eye health are not better known.

Last edited:
You need to clarify what exactly vitamins are necessary for. Only in this case will I be able to recommend something to you. I recently started taking blood vessel supplements. Naturally, I started taking them on the doctor's prescription. I would also recommend that you contact your doctor with this question. Of course, if you do not mean some non-standard vitamins. If you need vitamins for physical fitness, then you can consult a nutritionist for advice. As a rule, they develop a nutrition program and supplements specifically for you. So it works and gives the result.

Last edited:
My opinion: GET QUALITY VITAMINS AND SUPPLEMENTS. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE.

Vitamin C
CoQ10 or Ubiquinol
Omega 3 or high quality fish oil
Zinc
Vitamin D3
Garlic Tablets
Curcumin
Daily use of Apple Cider Vinegar with mother in it
Tbsp of Olive Oil daily

Try to get Pure Encapsulations vitamins and supplements. High Quality

You know how Kramer went to the vet. Lets get some vitamins that work, well, this will jack you up...
114477d1300132669-real-fake-rwr-stanazol-australia-img_1277.jpg

I would suggest 5000units of vitamin D3 daily and 30 Zinc. o boost immune system. Tumeric or Curcumin would be another good choice.

While the board is generally all-knowing, be mildly careful on this one.
Water-soluble vitamins like C are very hard to take too much b/c you pee it out. Vitamin D, however, is fat soluble, meaning it is stored in body fat. The RDA is 800-1000iu. I take zinc and Vitamin D every day, but I would avoid excessive levels. I'm not sure 5K is excessive, but not sure there is any benefit to taking 5-6x the RDA for long periods. Too much Vitamin D can lead to some calcium issues.

Also, I agree on Turmeric Curcumin. It is a great general anti-inflammatory. Inflammation is one of the biggest underlying causes of many ailments throughout the body. I believe it's a good COA to take a non-pharma anti-inflammatory each day.

I don't think some vitamins don't work. They all work and have a tremendous effect, but you need to know what vitamins you need. No man can live without vitamins. It is essential to see the number of vitamins in the body, and we must have neither minus nor extra vitamins. Many vitamins are needed in minimal amounts, and that's why we must be cautious. That's why before you buy some vitamins, you better go and check with your doctor, and he will tell you what vitamins you should consume. And then, you find an online site with quality vitamins and supplements, and you order them. That's it.

Last edited:
Take D or better yet get at least 20 minutes of sun a day. Zinc as well and take a good probiotic. Gut health is incredibly important.
I was reading about this subject and the sun has to be higher than 50 degree angle to produce vitamin d3. we live in a northern state where most of the population is deficient and probably don’t know it. I had problems with pain until I went to a rheumatologist and first thing she did was get my vitamin d checked and my level was low. I’ve been taking 3000iu in the morning and 3000iu after work and I have very little pain episodes

I take the following:
-Now men’s active sports multi
-Bronson vitamin k2 + d3
-Jarrow zinc balance (zinc + copper)
-Swanson triple boron complex

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT