ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Vitamin recommendations if you please! Vitamins that actually work!!

Years ago I was dating a doctor who told me the key to making vitamins effective is eating food with vitamin supplements. If you don't take them with food, they will pass through your system quickly, without being absorbed. The net effect will be very expensive and nutritious urine.

A note about Vitamin C supplements: Vitamin C disappears from your body within a couple of hours, so it is important to take time-released Vitamin C tablets.

I thought B-12 would get me some energy from what I read. My doc tells me all I will get out of taking them is expensive pee.
I look forward to seeing other replies as my get-up-and-go has got-up-and-left.

OL
Your body will use only what it needs in relation to vitamins and supplements. In the medical field there is an old saying, "eat them today, excrete them tomorrow."

Years ago I was dating a doctor who told me the key to making vitamins effective is eating food with vitamin supplements. If you don't take them with food, they will pass through your system quickly, without being absorbed. The net effect will be very expensive and nutritious urine.

A note about Vitamin C supplements: Vitamin C disappears from your body within a couple of hours, so it is important to take time-released Vitamin C tablets.
That's a little off. It depends on the type of vitamin. Some are fat soluble and some are water soluble.

The supplements industry, which includes vitamins, is not regulated. So there are a lot of vitamins on the market that don't provide any significant available of what's in them. I generally start with Pure Encapsulations when looking for vitamins. More expensive, but they work.

D and lots of it. I’ve heard many times that D is most essential of all vitamins. I also take B complex with lots of B 12. I am currently taking an immune booster with loads of D, C and zinc. In normal times it was just a bunch of D, but I will probably stick with the immune booster for some time.

Reactions: TheGLOV and bison13
Vitamin D, good for immunity, inflammation also good for hypertension and many other benefits
Fish Oil
Zinc-immunity
Vitamin C-immunity
Multivitamin-general health, preventative maintenance
Magnesium (chelated) bones and muscle health, helps with regularity
Calcium-strong bones
Probiotic- digestion and immunity
A joint health supplement specifically, UC-2 is good. They have it at Costco in the Kirkland brand, Triple Action Joint Health

Reactions: hlstone and TheGLOV
One (1) Costco multi-vitamin per day. Anything more is generally superfluous.

I do one or two multi-vitamins a day as well. Some multi-vitamins do not include Iron, so make sure you either get a multi-vitamin that includes Iron or get an Iron supplement. I was also given the advice years ago to take a vitamin at night, which will help the body absorb the vitamin at night while the body is sleeping/shut down. Most viruses/colds cultivate in the body at night while the body is sleeping/shut down so a vitamin at night will help the body.

Reactions: hlstone and TheGLOV
Centrum Silver (Men 50+) Multi
Bausch + Lomb Ocuvite (Adult 50+)
Nature’s Way Sambucus (Elderberry, C & Zinc)*
B12 & D3

* gummies

My doc talked me off of fish oil / krill oil.

So along with my regular meds, my Kirkland Stool Softener and Aleve before and after I golf,
I probably drink a gallon of water a day just getting my pills down!

Reactions: BBrown and TheGLOV
The Fat-soluble vitamins are A,D,E and K. Those distribute into your tissues and thus, you can take too much of those. The others are water soluble and you do pee out "excess". Many are deficient in D and there are some COVID studies about worse outcomes in those that are deficient. But make sure you don't "overdose" on the fat soluble vitamins.

Vitamin C data for COVID is weak at best. It is water soluble. However, it can increase risk of kidney stones. So taking a lot it is harmless for MOST people. Zinc, green tea, and turmeric have some data supporting immune help.

D and lots of it. I’ve heard many times that D is most essential of all vitamins. I also take B complex with lots of B 12. I am currently taking an immune booster with loads of D, C and zinc. In normal times it was just a bunch of D, but I will probably stick with the immune booster for some time.

D is important.......D3 specifically. The daily recommended intake is about ~1000 IUs, but tablets come as high as 5,000 IUs. For those who are vitamin D deficient, those high dosage pills may be useful to get more D into your bloodstream. Otherwise, no need to overdo it.

The studies on the correlation between D deficiency and severity of COVID are pretty interesting. Tough to say to what extent it's causation or simply correlation, though D is known to boost the immune system.

And D is tough to get through a normal diet other than fatty fish, mushrooms, fortified milk, etc. So, supplements are important. Best to take with food, though.

Straight from my friend who's an immunologist at National Institute of Health, C D and zinc for sure.

So many with D deficiency from staying inside for the last 8 months.

Take D or better yet get at least 20 minutes of sun a day. Zinc as well and take a good probiotic. Gut health is incredibly important.

Gut pain is what is taking me to the Dr.'s on Wednesday.

I've had abdominal hernia-mesh put in.

I've had polyps removed.

I've had diverticulitis.

I've had a spastic-colon.

Worried about appendix and pancreatic problems.

At the same time, I believe I have a re-occurring kidney stone problem.

No peace for this body at this time.

The Fat-soluble vitamins are A,D,E and K. Those distribute into your tissues and thus, you can take too much of those. The others are water soluble and you do pee out "excess". Many are deficient in D and there are some COVID studies about worse outcomes in those that are deficient. But make sure you don't "overdose" on the fat soluble vitamins.

Vitamin C data for COVID is weak at best. It is water soluble. However, it can increase risk of kidney stones. So taking a lot it is harmless for MOST people. Zinc, green tea, and turmeric have some data supporting immune help.

See my post above.

UGH!!

I've had polyps removed.

I've had diverticulitis.

Christ almighty Glov you don’t need vitamins. With all that you need a large roll of bailing wire and some crimping pliers to hold everything in place.

I've had polyps removed.

I've had diverticulitis.

Hang in there buddy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT