ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Very well-written article on Cosmic Inflation and the Big Bang

Then many people would dump on me with their facts showing how they believe I am mistaken but their facts only point to their conclusion and don’t disprove my proposal. Probably not we’ll stated but I’m not so smart.
Well stated TOL, shouldn't underestimate your intelligence, you may not be a genius (few are) but at least you are a common sense, simple minded individual. 🤔 🙄
Just kidding TiredOldLion

Reactions: TiredOldLion
Well stated TOL, shouldn't underestimate your intelligence, you may not be a genius (few are) but at least you are a common sense, simple minded individual. 🤔 🙄
Just kidding TiredOldLion

I found TOL's theory off-base, but the thing that got to me was his admission at the end that "I'm not so smart."

None of us are, but few of us have the wisdom to know it.

0b53587ff7b8de31aca24c3d35053d46.png

Step,

It’s been said, a man has got to know his limitations. Mine started at Integral and Derivative Calculus and Engineering Dynamics.

Jerry,

It wasn’t a theory. It was just a tool to try to explain that one could have a theory that can’t be eliminated by another set of facts and science can work with it even though a different theory is more likely.

Step,

It’s been said, a man has got to know his limitations. Mine started at Integral and Derivative Calculus and Engineering Dynamics.

Jerry,

It wasn’t a theory. It was just a tool to try to explain that one could have a theory that can’t be eliminated by another set of facts and science can work with it even though a different theory is more likely.
God Bless ya OldTiredLion, I was just kidding. When you and I mastered calcs using the slide rule, understood "The Calculus" and engineering mechanics & dynamics l felt I had a well placed education to take the world on, well, at least have some job opportunities. 🤓

God Bless ya OldTiredLion, I was just kidding. When you and I mastered calcs using the slide rule, understood "The Calculus" and engineering mechanics & dynamics l felt I had a well placed education to take the world on, well, at least have some job opportunities. 🤓
I never took it as a diss. And I’ll take all the blessings I can get. Haven’t been to church in awhile so I can use your blessing today. 😊

Reactions: step.eng69
I just checked my copy of Simon Singh’s The Big Bang, and there is no mention of magnetic monopoles. That’s another reason I appreciate mathematics: a book never goes out of date. As an example, the standard reference on complex variables was written, by Ahlfors, in 1953.
Dirac offered a quantum theory allowing the existence of magnetic monopoles in 1931. From an aesthetic point of view, it would make Maxwell's equations perfectly symmetric, and also explain why electric charge is quantized. Attempts to observe them have so far failed, so they fell out of favor. There has been a recent resurgence of attempts to observe them,after the theory of cosmic infation gave a reason why, if they existed, they would be very rare in any region of space.

See Magnetic Monopoles

Dirac offered a quantum theory allowing the existence of magnetic monopoles in 1931. From an aesthetic point of view, it would make Maxwell's equations perfectly symmetric, and also explain why electric charge is quantized. Attempts to observe them have so far failed, so they fell out of favor. There has been a recent resurgence of attempts to observe them,after the theory of cosmic infation gave a reason why, if they existed, they would be very rare in any region of space.

See Magnetic Monopoles
Aren't these theories mathematical derivations from existing laws extrapolated into regions where the laws themselves have not been demonstrated to be valid?

Do we know that general relativity holds when we compress everything down to a singularity? How would we ever know? Newton's laws were fine until we started dealing with observations that were a reasonable fraction of the speed of light, and could observe that Newton's laws didn't hold.

Perhaps General Relativity breaks down and is a subset of some level of energy density or matter density, just as Newton's laws are a valid subset when velocities are small compared to light.

Extracting consequences from laws that have not yet been tested in the regions for which the consequences are restricted to seems a little.....hopeful.

Please feel free to correct/refute - tell me "You're not even wrong, 89!!!"

I want to double down on Simon Singh’s Big Bang. This is a wonderfully written book which presents a history of cosmology from the times of the Greeks. How was the circumference of the earth determined? What is the distance from Earth to its moon? What about the distance from Earth to the Sun? All this was done in antiquity and the mathematics used to determine all this are clearly explained, basic stuff, really. Every chapter has a cheat sheet summary at the end, very nice. Just a great book, highly readable and highly recommended.

Amazon product ASIN 0007162219

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT