ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Travel between Pittsburgh and Philly in 35 minutes?

The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission has awarded a $2 million contract for a consultant to look into what it would take to make that a reality.
Obliviax will save them a lot of time and money - Don't do it 'cause it won't work. I'll send you an invoice for $1,000,000 (if you need a powerpoint presentation, I'll send you a PPT of CA and their idea to build a train from SF to LA).

I'm disappointed after watching the video. By "hyperloop", I was hoping for a real loop. Consider that it runs along the ground from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia. Then at Philadelphia, the "car" loops around, say 100 feet above the ground, and runs to Pittsburgh upside down. Then it loops back to the ground for the trip back to Philadelphia, and so on.

How much would the state have to pay a consultant to consider my proposal? $3 million? $5 million? I say do it.

The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission has awarded a $2 million contract for a consultant to look into what it would take to make that a reality.
Obliviax will save them a lot of time and money - Don't do it 'cause it won't work. I'll send you an invoice for $1,000,000 (if you need a powerpoint presentation, I'll send you a PPT of CA and their idea to build a train from SF to LA).
Who’s the consultant related to?

LOL

I'm disappointed after watching the video. By "hyperloop", I was hoping for a real loop. Consider that it runs along the ground from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia. Then at Philadelphia, the "car" loops around, say 100 feet above the ground, and runs to Pittsburgh upside down. Then it loops back to the ground for the trip back to Philadelphia, and so on.

How much would the state have to pay a consultant to consider my proposal? $3 million? $5 million? I say do it.

IDK but it sounds like they could get the people from either Cedar Point, Kings Dominion Busch Gardens to design it.:cool:

IDK but it sounds like they could get the people from either Cedar Point, Kings Dominion Busch Gardens to design it.:cool:
Artists rendition of the Pennslytucky portion:

u0b0qNb.gif

I have no idea whether or not this will ever work. But when I was a kid, if you had told me about smart phones I'd have thought the same thing -- yeah right. Now maybe there should be some intermediate steps thought out??? What does a hyperloop require? I large tube? Can we run a super high speed train through it until the hyperloop technology is ready?

I'm more for spending money on the future than the present. I can't stand when we spend millions on a new highway that only gets us up to present day needs with no thought about what we might need in 20 years.

Reactions: nits74

isnt that what they said to Ford about the horseless carriage? or what about wireless radio??

Reactions: nits74 and MJG-90
isnt that what they said to Ford about the horseless carriage? or what about wireless radio??
OK...great point. Let me know when you have that handled and don't forget to look for unicorns along the way!

OK...great point. Let me know when you have that handled and don't forget to look for unicorns along the way!
I believe the proviso and concern is the money. why spend 2mil on something that has yet to really be thought out?? to which I agree.

But that shouldn't prevent the technology being pursued at all.

Reactions: nits74 and psu00
I believe the proviso and concern is the money. why spend 2mil on something that has yet to really be thought out?? to which I agree.

But that shouldn't prevent the technology being pursued at all.
Fair enough. I am always about technology but I don't think Tech is the problem. The operational problem of getting it built is the issue. But what do I know?

I dont think any of us will be alive by the time this is put into place. Would be sweet though

I have no idea whether or not this will ever work. But when I was a kid, if you had told me about smart phones I'd have thought the same thing -- yeah right. Now maybe there should be some intermediate steps thought out??? What does a hyperloop require? I large tube? Can we run a super high speed train through it until the hyperloop technology is ready?

I'm more for spending money on the future than the present. I can't stand when we spend millions on a new highway that only gets us up to present day needs with no thought about what we might need in 20 years.

I guess you didn’t read Dick Tracey comics.

I guess you didn’t read Dick Tracey comics.

I did not. I'm assuming this refers to my smart phone comment??? But I watched Star Trek and I'm still hopeful that someday I can get beamed from one location to another rendering the hyperloop concept obsolete.

Reactions: BBrown
Should be worth whatever the price to get me to a city with such better food in only 35 minutes.

7 Things That Cost Less Than The Big Dig

July 12, 2012

A Massachusetts state official announced Wednesday that the total cost of the Big Dig, also known as the Central artery/Tunnel Project, is estimated at $24.3 billion, making it the most expensive highway project in U.S. history. We did some of our own digging and made a list of seven things that cost less than the Big Dig. They may surprise you.

7. Hubble Space Telescope, 1990 - Final cost: $4.5-$6 billion

AP12061217150-768x505.jpg

(AP)
One of the largest space telescopes ever built, the Hubble was as important to astronomy as any telescope could be. After years of delays, the telescope finally went into orbit in April 1990, millions of dollars over budget.

6. The Large Hadron Collider, 2009 - Final cost: $6 billion

AP12042709208-768x513.jpg

(AP)
The LHC has been called the biggest and most expensive scientific experiment in human history. Still, the cost of the particle collider is only a fraction of the cost of the Big Dig.

5. All of Mark Zuckerberg’s Shares In Facebook, 2012 - Value: $13.7 billion

AP110103011448-768x531.jpg

(AP)
Mark Zuckerberg owns 443 million shares of Facebook. At the time of this article, Facebook’s stock price is valued at roughly $31, making his shares worth $13.7 billion – nearly $10 billion less than the cost of the Big Dig.

4. Airbus A380, 2007 - Final cost: $15 billion.

AP120621111604-768x439.jpg

(AP)
The airbus A380 is the largest passenger airline in the world, carrying up to 555 people and one heck of a price tag.

3. Eurotunnel's Channel Tunnel, 1994 - Final cost: $21 billion

201207channeltunnel-768x523.jpg

(AP)
The Channel Tunnel ("Chunnel") connects Britain to France and is considered one of the seven wonders of the modern world. But that came at at price. After going 80 percent over its predicted budget, the Chunnel ended up costing a whopping $21 billion.

2. The entire net worth of Michael Bloomberg, 2012 - Value: $22 billion

201207bloomberg-768x521.jpg

(AP)
In other words, if the cost of the Big Dig were a person, it’d be the 17th wealthiest person in the world.

1. Sending the entire population of Flint, Michigan to the most expensive four-year college in the country, 2012 - Final cost: $24.2 billion

Flint1-768x431.jpg

(CBell34.com)
According to The Chronicle of Higher Education, the most expensive college in the country is Sarah Lawrence College with a price of $59,170 including room and board. With Flint’s population of 102,434that means the entire town can be sent to the four-year college with still a few million dollars left over.

7 Things That Cost Less Than The Big Dig

July 12, 2012

A Massachusetts state official announced Wednesday that the total cost of the Big Dig, also known as the Central artery/Tunnel Project, is estimated at $24.3 billion, making it the most expensive highway project in U.S. history. We did some of our own digging and made a list of seven things that cost less than the Big Dig. They may surprise you.

7. Hubble Space Telescope, 1990 - Final cost: $4.5-$6 billion

AP12061217150-768x505.jpg

(AP)
One of the largest space telescopes ever built, the Hubble was as important to astronomy as any telescope could be. After years of delays, the telescope finally went into orbit in April 1990, millions of dollars over budget.

6. The Large Hadron Collider, 2009 - Final cost: $6 billion

AP12042709208-768x513.jpg

(AP)
The LHC has been called the biggest and most expensive scientific experiment in human history. Still, the cost of the particle collider is only a fraction of the cost of the Big Dig.

5. All of Mark Zuckerberg’s Shares In Facebook, 2012 - Value: $13.7 billion

AP110103011448-768x531.jpg

(AP)
Mark Zuckerberg owns 443 million shares of Facebook. At the time of this article, Facebook’s stock price is valued at roughly $31, making his shares worth $13.7 billion – nearly $10 billion less than the cost of the Big Dig.

4. Airbus A380, 2007 - Final cost: $15 billion.

AP120621111604-768x439.jpg

(AP)
The airbus A380 is the largest passenger airline in the world, carrying up to 555 people and one heck of a price tag.

3. Eurotunnel's Channel Tunnel, 1994 - Final cost: $21 billion

201207channeltunnel-768x523.jpg

(AP)
The Channel Tunnel ("Chunnel") connects Britain to France and is considered one of the seven wonders of the modern world. But that came at at price. After going 80 percent over its predicted budget, the Chunnel ended up costing a whopping $21 billion.

2. The entire net worth of Michael Bloomberg, 2012 - Value: $22 billion

201207bloomberg-768x521.jpg

(AP)
In other words, if the cost of the Big Dig were a person, it’d be the 17th wealthiest person in the world.

1. Sending the entire population of Flint, Michigan to the most expensive four-year college in the country, 2012 - Final cost: $24.2 billion

Flint1-768x431.jpg

(CBell34.com)
According to The Chronicle of Higher Education, the most expensive college in the country is Sarah Lawrence College with a price of $59,170 including room and board. With Flint’s population of 102,434that means the entire town can be sent to the four-year college with still a few million dollars left over.
Lets leave this to our legislators. What can go wrong?

Reactions: Obliviax
A power loop from Harrisburg to Camp Hill would probably cost $10 billion till you handle 20 years of litigation and environmental impact statements.

This country is incapable of building infrastructure at any reasonable cost, and we are falling further and further behind Europe and Asia.

In Europe people just take 250mph trains (and ticket prices much lower than Amtrak) for granted. Just like they take reasonably priced health care for granted.

But neither one of those things is happening in the USA in our lifetime.

Ugh. What a waste of 2mm. If someone makes one, or even creates something that can do this, take a look then.
maybe they can cancel this and pay down some of the overdue accounts payable to the supposedly self sustaining for a fee PA Turnpike system

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
A power loop from Harrisburg to Camp Hill would probably cost $10 billion till you handle 20 years of litigation and environmental impact statements.

This country is incapable of building infrastructure at any reasonable cost, and we are falling further and further behind Europe and Asia.

In Europe people just take 250mph trains (and ticket prices much lower than Amtrak) for granted. Just like they take reasonably priced health care for granted.

But neither one of those things is happening in the USA in our lifetime.

We could have high speed rail here, but there's money. And right of way. And environmental studies. And NIMBYs, and union negotiations. Etc, etc, etc, etc.

We could have high speed rail here, but there's money. And right of way. And environmental studies. And NIMBYs, and union negotiations. Etc, etc, etc, etc.
Exactly....wait until they come to you and tell you they are buying your home under eminent domain for .5 of what it is worth or they put a high speed rail adjacent to your side yard (buying the neighbors house) and dropping your property value by 80%. This has worked great in Russia and China. Its a problem in the gold old U S of A.

Send your proposal to AOC. She'll fund it as part of her Green New Deal.

If I could do York to state college in that time I’d get season tickets for penn state men’s basketball

Reactions: 91Joe95
"The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission has awarded a $2 million contract for a consultant..."

These contracts typically aren't subject to a bidding process. It would be interesting to follow the money on this one.
Yep, you're correct Pearl, the "professional consultant engineering firm" is selected on their resume...."you have been a favorite of ours for decades"

Follow the money, but you will find that in the authorities review, they will have awarded the contract to the most qualified engineering consultant.
I thing the process is quid pro quo, or something like that. Just a wild guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: 91Joe95
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT