ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Top Restaurants in Pittsburgh?

Cincinnati Kid

May 29, 2001
Cincinnati
Going to be in Pittsburgh soon and looking for a nice restaurant. I’ve heard Monterey Bay, The Lamont, and Eddie V’s are nice.

Any other recommendations? Thanks!

If you want to eat where the local yinzers eat check out Nadine's, Big Jim's in The Run, or the Starlite Lounge (the pierogis are TO DIE FOR!). I'm also a LoBello's fan for straight up, simple Italian dishes. Or, head up Mt. Washington and pay out the kiester for what really is a great view of the city.

Me? I'll ride up the incline and check out the view, then head over to the Starlite for some pierogis!

Best and most thorough rundown I've seen of late --> CLICK <--

Not to hijack the thread, but are you a foodie? About 10 years ago, my wife and I went to a marriage conference in Reston, VA, and before we went I came here asking for some recommendations for restaurants in the area. I'm wondering if it was you who recommended a place for us. Italian place I think, in a converted old big house. Maybe started with a Z. Any of this sound familiar (not remembering that you recommended a restaurant to me 10 years ago but that you WOULD have recommended a place) or am I nuts...or maybe both?

Reactions: BrucePa
Morcilla (Spanish) and Poulet Blu (French), both on Butler St in Lawrenceville are spectacular. I believe Poulet Blu was voted best new restaurant in the city. After dinner, head to the rooftop bar at Tryp hotel nearby. Very cool new place.

Going to be in Pittsburgh soon and looking for a nice restaurant. I’ve heard Monterey Bay, The Lamont, and Eddie V’s are nice.

Monterey bay is without a doubt where you need to go if you like seafood. For steak, hit ‘meat and potatoes’. For a nice cheap meal, hit the Hofbräuhaus. For breakfast, Pamela’s is your only choice.

Not to hijack the thread, but are you a foodie? About 10 years ago, my wife and I went to a marriage conference in Reston, VA, and before we went I came here asking for some recommendations for restaurants in the area. I'm wondering if it was you who recommended a place for us. Italian place I think, in a converted old big house. Maybe started with a Z. Any of this sound familiar (not remembering that you recommended a restaurant to me 10 years ago but that you WOULD have recommended a place) or am I nuts...or maybe both?
I call it "serious eater," not foodie. If that restaurant was Zefferelli's in Herndon, that would have been me.

Reactions: Zenophile
Altius up on Grandview Avenue on Mount Washington. Great view of city and great food.
Really, the best choice for quality of food and ambience.
I have eaten there. It's nice.
Yep!
The Carlton.
The Carlton is a staple of mine and I have entertained hundreds of international guests there. They charge a modest fixed price over retail for every bottle of wine in their extraordinary collection. Their veal chop is cut like a bone-in Ribeye steak and it is the best in the city.
Morcilla (Spanish) and Poulet Blu (French), both on Butler St in Lawrenceville are spectacular. I believe Poulet Blu was voted best new restaurant in the city. After dinner, head to the rooftop bar at Tryp hotel nearby. Very cool new place.
Thanks for the new recommendations. Do you mind elaborating on the parking situation near these establishments? The problem with Lawrenceville is the parking, IMO....

Last edited:
Was there on week nights and parking on the street was not a problem. Also, forgot to mention Piccolo Forno, also on Butler St. Really well done Italian, small menu, but a standout price performer with their own small parking lot.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
If you want to eat where the local yinzers eat check out Nadine's, Big Jim's in The Run, or the Starlite Lounge (the pierogis are TO DIE FOR!). I'm also a LoBello's fan for straight up, simple Italian dishes. Or, head up Mt. Washington and pay out the kiester for what really is a great view of the city.

Me? I'll ride up the incline and check out the view, then head over to the Starlite for some pierogis!
Big Jims with a bowl of wedding soup followed by veal parm with spaghettis all covered in red sauce. Not fine dining but very good eating.

Yep!

The Carlton is a staple of mine and I have entertained hundreds of international guests there. They charge a modest fixed price over retail for every bottle of wine in their extraordinary collection. Their veal chop is cut like a bone-in Ribeye steak and it is the best in the city.

Thanks for the new recommendations. Do you mind elaborating on the parking situation near these establishments? The problem with Lawrenceville is the parking, IMO....
I’m sure the veal is the best in the city. However, does the Carlton have the old style toilets with the pull chain? Asking for my friend, Michael. Salut!

I would tell you Eddie V’s is not worth the money. Been there and will not do it again. My suggestions: Union Standard on William Penn Way and D’Astasios (sp?) in the Strip District, very hip Italian.

I’m sure the veal is the best in the city. However, does the Carlton have the old style toilets with the pull chain? Asking for my friend, Michael. Salut!
Nah, I say Alla Famiglia is the best veal. But it comes w/ a financing plan.

Reactions: iknojksht

Yep!

Only take Uber to Lawrenceville. Fish nor Foul is rolling out their fall menu next week and the preview is spectacular. Morcilla is excellent. I believe Poulet Blu is owned by the same restaurant group that owns Fish nor Foul.

I would tell you Eddie V’s is not worth the money. Been there and will not do it again. My suggestions: Union Standard on William Penn Way and D’Astasios (sp?) in the Strip District, very hip Italian.
The bar scene during Happy Hour before a concert at Eddie V’s is very good. The jazz trio can be sensational and the apps are plentiful. Good place to get hammered before walking up or down the hill.

Reactions: garw
LeMont on Grandview Ave Mount Washington is my personal favorite. But I gotta say - they are coasting. Ambience is great and the bar is beautiful. The food though is only all right. Not as good as they used to be - just a fact.

Monterey Bay remains excellent IMO.

Another of my favorites, Lidia’s on Smallman Street (Lidia Bastiavich) announced they are closing. That is a loss.

Echo the rec for Pamela’s for breakfast. I like the one on Walnut Street in Shadyside. Note CASH ONLY.

LeMont on Grandview Ave Mount Washington is my personal favorite. But I gotta say - they are coasting. Ambience is great and the bar is beautiful. The food though is only all right. Not as good as they used to be - just fact

The view at lemont is awesome, but if you are looking for good food, there are dozens of restaurants with better food than lemont. Gaucho, smoke, smallman or federal galley, or, the whale, morcilla, The big burrito group (Kaya, umi, soba, eleven, casbah), tako, butcher and the rye, meat and potatoes, point or park Brugge, Brugge on north, piccolo forno.. tons of good restaurants in pittsburgh

Reactions: Zenophile and cavic
The view at lemont is awesome, but if you are looking for good food, there are dozens of restaurants with better food than lemont. Gaucho, smoke, smallman or federal galley, or, the whale, morcilla, The big burrito group (Kaya, umi, soba, eleven, casbah), tako, butcher and the rye, meat and potatoes, point or park Brugge, Brugge on north, piccolo forno.. tons of good restaurants in pittsburgh

^^^ That's the winning post so far ^^^

LeMont, Carlton, Lidia's ... their days have past (I definitely won't be missing Lidia's)

Gaucho Parilla & Superior Motors are the two not to be missed for foodies imo

Also from your list, Casbah & Pointe/Park Brugge are favorites of my wife and me. They haven't changed much, not cutting edge to where they'd be a top recommendation for an out of towner who is an adventurous eater. But for what they are, they can hang with comparables in any city

And if you want a dive, someone mentioned it earlier, Big Jim's. Good food, good prices, immense portions.

Only take Uber to Lawrenceville. Fish nor Foul is rolling out their fall menu next week and the preview is spectacular. Morcilla is excellent. I believe Poulet Blu is owned by the same restaurant group that owns Fish nor Foul.
Ditto on Morcilla. My wife and I have eaten there in back to back annual visits. It’s been great both times.

Reactions: tgar
Monterey bay is without a doubt where you need to go if you like seafood. For steak, hit ‘meat and potatoes’. For a nice cheap meal, hit the Hofbräuhaus. For breakfast, Pamela’s is your only choice.

Love Pamela’s and for lunch the Union Grill has a Devonshire to die for.

LeMont on Grandview Ave Mount Washington is my personal favorite. But I gotta say - they are coasting. Ambience is great and the bar is beautiful. The food though is only all right. Not as good as they used to be - just a fact.

Monterey Bay remains excellent IMO.

Another of my favorites, Lidia’s on Smallman Street (Lidia Bastiavich) announced they are closing. That is a loss.

Echo the rec for Pamela’s for breakfast. I like the one on Walnut Street in Shadyside. Note CASH ONLY.
I dated a girl from Shady Side she lived in a mansion on Rowe Ave if I remember correctly(1990).Is Docks still around?

I dated a girl from Shady Side she lived in a mansion on Rowe Ave if I remember correctly(1990).Is Docks still around?
Nope. That spot has been Mario’s East End Pub for about a decade now. Never been under the old name, but I’m sure the vibe is similar.

The best food in Pittsburgh is the Eat N Park salad bar, especially the chili. Better than any of the high priced swanky restaurants in the area.

Primanti's Restaurant sucks. Food is terrible and restaurants are filthy.

It’s not a nice restaurant, but if you have time for a sit down breakfast I highly recommend going to one of the Pamela’s Diner locations. Their pancakes (thin like crepes but with crispy edges) filled with brown sugar, sour cream, and seasonal fruit (blueberry this past weekend) are sublime. There will likely be a wait on the weekend, but it’s definitely worth it.

Reactions: pandaczar12
Get out to Kendrew's in Aliquippa. It's the complete opposite of 'fancy'. It's 'sparse' - as in, not much atmosphere (except that created by the light of the half lit up neon beer/Penguins/Steelers signs). Don't worry about that. The wings are some of the best in Western PA. And you can get fries with gravy.

https://kendrews.com/kitchen

44f6f5e1ae9a542f0b9c78fa943e2a56.jpg

Reactions: Ranger Dan

^^^ That's the winning post so far ^^^

LeMont, Carlton, Lidia's ... their days have past

I’m in Pittsburgh for the next 2 weeks for work. I’ll agree with this re: the Carlton. Just had lunch from there and the place struck me as very dated. Just tired. Food wasn’t bad but the space was very tired.

Although zeferellis is great I’m thinking that you may have gone to Dante’s in great falls which is in a converted Victorian and is also near Reston.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT