ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Timepieces

lionroar88

May 29, 2001
Ijamsville, MD
I'm by no means an aficionado, but I do like nice timepieces.

I have:
Citizen Eco-Drive that I wear near everyday, has a silver face with black lettering.
Tissot - blue face, white lettering
Michael Kors - gold with an open face so you can see the movement

Well I've been looking at Rolex and Omega for a number of years, I've held them and tried them on, but nothing - honestly - has caught my eye to a point that 'I have to have this timepiece'... that changed on Saturday.

Was at a local jeweler and was browsing the watch section, Breitling, Tag Heuer, Rolex, and then Omega. I tried on a couple, and then one particular piece caught my eye. Turns out they had one of the 2015 James Bond Limited Edition Sea Masters... all I can say is 'speechless'. This timepiece seemed to be calling out to me and when I showed it to my wife I received an exasperated 'WOW'. So hope one of these is in my future!

I've seen a number of Breitlings that I 'like', they have a yellowish gold faced watch that is very striking to see, but I have very limited, wardrobe-wise, that I could wear it with.

Those RGMs are very nice! Haven't seen them before. Maybe if I ever become a Director or VP! LOL!

Reactions: Ranger Dan

I have:
Citizen Eco-Drive that I wear near everyday, has a silver face with black lettering.

Well I've been looking at Rolex and Omega for a number of years, I've held them and tried them on, but nothing - honestly - has caught my eye to a point that 'I have to have this timepiece'... that changed on Saturday.

Was at a local jeweler and was browsing the watch section, Breitling, Tag Heuer, Rolex, and then Omega. I tried on a couple, and then one particular piece caught my eye. Turns out they had one of the 2015 James Bond Limited Edition Sea Masters... all I can say is 'speechless'. This timepiece seemed to be calling out to me and when I showed it to my wife I received an exasperated 'WOW'. So hope one of these is in my future!

I always find it pretty interesting when people buy watches from fashion designers (like Micheal Kors). Of your three, that is the only one not made by a 'watchmaker'. How do you like it?

It was not my 'first choice' I wanted something that I could wear with non-black/grey clothing, and something with an open face. My wife bought it for me, and as they say 'the price was right'. It was < $100. It does not have a battery (another requirement). For the price it is nice timepiece, and it does get comments. I've had it for 3 years now and the band (leather) is holding up nicely.

I don't wear it as often now that I have the Tissot because I have an allergy to the tannins in the leather, I know I could get a different band for it... just hasn't been a priority.

I have:

If your heart says go with it, you should get it. Omega is a fine watch. Personally, I think the James Bond editions, are a bit over the top since they come out with a new one for each film now, but you can't go wrong with their quality and movements. Watch collecting can be an addicting hobby. I own an Ebel, Hamilton, Baume and Mercier, Tissot, Universal Geneve, Seiko Sarb, Rodania Penn State edition (Rolex style) from about 25 years ago, plus a few vintage pieces. They all get wrist time. There are worse things to spend your money on - at least it's not a boat. Good luck and wear it it health, and post a photo for us later.

Lots of good suggestions here, but go with a classic:

MI0001433304.jpg

:)

Reactions: 91Joe95
Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
I went with a Timex. Got water resistant to 5m instead of 10 and threw the extra $10 I saved toward a nice twist-o-flex. The contrast of the black plastic watch to the silver metal band gives the watch a 'not likely to be lifted' appearance. I feel confident wearing this watch. No matter where I leave it, I am confident it will be there when I get back.

I like watches, but I'm at the point where I can't afford the ones I want now... I guess I could sell a couple of firearms, but that ain't happening. I guess you can't collect two things that are expensive.

Reactions: Sviatoslav

I have:

My timepiece makes and receives calls, gets email and texts, and connects to the internet.

I don't wear a watch any more but I have 2 old Seiko's, one of which I purchased via the Pacific Military Exchange in Japan when I served in Vietnam in 1969. I think I paid around $50 for it. I have another that I purchased around 1980 in the states.

Is there any collector value for these type of watches ?

I normally don't go for special edition watches, but I really like the looks of this Seamaster. If you're into James Bond, it's got cool touches like the Bond family coat of arms on the second hand and dial and the "bullet" rotor. It's also virtually unaffected by magnetic fields (15,007 gauss resistant). Pretty cool package if you're into that sort of thing.

As someone else mentioned in this thread, you really can't go wrong with a speedmaster pro moonwatch either.

I don't wear a watch any more but I have 2 old Seiko's, one of which I purchased via the Pacific Military Exchange in Japan when I served in Vietnam in 1969. I think I paid around $50 for it. I have another that I purchased around 1980 in the states.

Is there any collector value for these type of watches ?
It really depends on the condition and desirability of your particular model. Your best bet is to try to identify the model and then check out past eBay auction results to get an Idea what it might be worth. You can also try a vintage watch shop or reputable antiques dealer to give you a guess at the value.

When I was traveling through Zurich last year, I spent hours window shopping for watches. I could have spent 100K there no problem.

Love the Movado watches.Their Ladies watches are beautiful.

A couple years back I was looking for a nice watch, having 6 already, and considered Tag H and Movado before purchasing an ESQ. Made by Movado,

Bottom line us the wearer should find the style that he/she enjoys wearing. My wife ended up getting a Movado...

I was then considering a PSU TagH but it didn't really strike me as worth the price and I didn't really like the PSU logo they used. I found a cheaper PSU edition leftover in one of the State College jewelers after the 2014 B/W game and went with it as my backup PSU watch.....

I have:

Hope you can help. I own a Girard Perrageux watch circa 1963. It has gold case and four diamonds @ 3, 6, 9 and 12. I would very much like to know it's value and where I can have it appraised. Thanks for any information you can provide.

Cartier Roadster's are beautiful watches. I believe they are discontinued. Pick one up 2nd hand.

Hope you can help. I own a Girard Perrageux watch circa 1963. It has gold case and four diamonds @ 3, 6, 9 and 12. I would very much like to know it's value and where I can have it appraised. Thanks for any information you can provide.
To get an informed answer, look for someone who specializes in vintage watch sales and restoration. They would be able to assist with an appraisal. As I suggested in another reply, you can also look to recent eBay sales of your model with similar condition to get some kind of starting guess. I found one listing (see link) but have no idea if it's similar to your watch.

So much depends on model and conditon to vintage watch collectors that your best bet will be to find and expert that can help you with an appraisal. Interestingly, many vintage watch collectors prefer and are willing to pay a premium for unrestored pieces to those that have been restored with replacement parts over the years.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MENS-VINTAG...RREGAUX-GYROMATIC-DIAMOND-WATCH-/361346061493

To get an informed answer, look for someone who specializes in vintage watch sales and restoration. They would be able to assist with an appraisal. As I suggested in another reply, you can also look to recent eBay sales of your model with similar condition to get some kind of starting guess. I found one listing (see link) but have no idea if it's similar to your watch.

So much depends on model and conditon to vintage watch collectors that your best bet will be to find and expert that can help you with an appraisal. Interestingly, many vintage watch collectors prefer and are willing to pay a premium for unrestored pieces to those that have been restored with replacement parts over the years.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MENS-VINTAG...RREGAUX-GYROMATIC-DIAMOND-WATCH-/361346061493
Skip eBay, go here:

Inventoryadjusters.com

The TJ Maxx of luxury timepieces....

Skip eBay, go here:

Inventoryadjusters.com

The TJ Maxx of luxury timepieces....
There's loads of good sites to shop for vintage / used watches (for example, I'd recommend bobswatches.com for someone looking for a used Rolex). The poster I was responding to was trying to get a feel for the value of a vintage watch they own. I think eBay, by far has more volume of vintage watches flowing through its pages than any other site on the web. The odds of finding a particular vintage model to get at least get a rough guide to value is higher on eBay than almost anywhere else. Now, buying goods on eBay is a different story. With all the fakes (particularly with certain brands), bad sellers, shoddy (sometimes terrible) restoration / refinishing, etc. buying on eBay can be a dicey proposition.

I hope somebody shoots me if I ever own a watch that retails for over $200. Y'ins gots lots of money.

I honestly have a Timex Expedition from REI closeout ($3.93) in 1998 that just got a battery replacement in the past year. It's been on my wrist for many a great hike/backpack/fly fishing trip, and still retains 70% of its original cost.

Reactions: Sviatoslav
I hope somebody shoots me if I ever own a watch that retails for over $200. Y'ins gots lots of money.

I honestly have a Timex Expedition from REI closeout ($3.93) in 1998 that just got a battery replacement in the past year. It's been on my wrist for many a great hike/backpack/fly fishing trip, and still retains 70% of its original cost.

Do you drive only the cheapest car you can afford? What about your fishing gear? Just about all of us have our pet hobbies or interests that we spend more than we have to... it's a First World luxury/benefit.

Do you drive only the cheapest car you can afford? What about your fishing gear? Just about all of us have our pet hobbies or interests that we spend more than we have to... it's a First World luxury/benefit.

Sorry, I guess I did sound a little judgmental. I do try to keep the spend down on my car (replaced a 13 year old Passat with a Subaru Crosstrek when my son was arriving 2 years ago), and my admittedly excessive fly fishing gear "collection." I did build many of my rods from discounted closeout blanks.

There's loads of good sites to shop for vintage / used watches (for example, I'd recommend bobswatches.com for someone looking for a used Rolex). The poster I was responding to was trying to get a feel for the value of a vintage watch they own. I think eBay, by far has more volume of vintage watches flowing through its pages than any other site on the web. The odds of finding a particular vintage model to get at least get a rough guide to value is higher on eBay than almost anywhere else. Now, buying goods on eBay is a different story. With all the fakes (particularly with certain brands), bad sellers, shoddy (sometimes terrible) restoration / refinishing, etc. buying on eBay can be a dicey proposition.

Agreed. My concise, possibly trite post should have included a caveat or duex, like: I bought a 2002 Tag Carrera from IA in 2009, I believe.....beautiful watch, great fit, but the mechanics(movement) were Fubar'd. IA paid for me to ship to
em, they overnight'd the watch to Tag HQ (Switzerland) and in 10 days I had a fully functioning luxury timepiece I'd fawned over for years for about %20 retail of a current model.
I've bought 4 other watches through them (Baume and mercier, ErnstBenz, Omega) and they all came in pristine condition, save a battery replacement in one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT