ADVERTISEMENT

OT - the Sixers are turning the corner

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I meant 4 years counting this one, not much difference. I am not sure ANY team has EVER done what this franchise has done, to the point that the league has expressed concern and measures to prevent in the future. Sure the Spurs did it to position themselves more favorably for Duncan, but the Sixers have stolen people's money for a long time. You do this, give back TV money and let people come to your games for free.

Never happened you might say? Well back in the say and you might not bekieve this but the Dolphins would let people in for free at half time. That was when Flipper in the pool in the end zone was the big attraction.

I think the Sixers thought they could do a deal with Celtics. Whatever gave them the idea is beyond me. They thought they were going to bend Danny Ainge over?!? Not in their life time.

So you are a Celtics fan? Now I understand.

This is a messed up franchise, worthy of Cleveland Browns ridicule. Only the Sixers can get top of the draft assets and completely screw the pooch. Conventional wisdom is that the NBA is dramatically and forever changed, favoring small and quick. Only the Spurs managed to be an elite team featuring a big (Duncan) while the other more recent dominant teams such as Cleveland, Golden State, OKC were built on athletic smalls with players who could all handle and were interchangeable to some extent.

What did the Sixers do but draft bigs for three straight years in complete contradictory fashion. Now they are left with a player (Noel) who has been openly critical of the organization and can't wait to flee and another (Okafor) who is the league's ALL TIME worst defensive player (based on plus minus) who is buried on the bench recently as a Coach's DNP decision. And the Sixers expect to get value for either or both in trade? Pundits and people a lot smarter than me have scratched their heads with the draft day decision making of the Sixers and have been open in their view that a team featuring three bigs would NEVER work. But the Sixers kept plodding along.

So, they have tanked forever and what has it yielded? A big who is still a huge injury risk and a player who is currently hurt who seems destined to want a different market when he is able to move. At least the draft of Simmons was in line though with the current player that excels in the NBA. There is still some talk, NOT on how you manage multiple bigs but on playing a game with just Embiid, given the current makeup of the NBA. It's not just multiple, it's how to construct and manage one. A lot of people who rave about Embiid say they wish he came along 10 years ago when the NBA was a different league so that his place and skills could be better suited.

All we have heard about is how great Brown is at managing and developing talent. He seems completely befuddled on the bigs and likely has turned both Noel and Okafor into under achievers who will deliver 2nd round picks in return as players who at one time were viewed as being potentially the best players in their draft class.

The Sixers are a dumpster fire, a hot mess, whatever you want to call them. You want a case study on a screwed up franchise, they are front and center.

TRUST THE PROCESS!!!

76ers Ranked No. 6 In ‘Future’ Power Rankings

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2017/09/21/76ers-6-future-power-rankings/

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — ESPN.com released their “future” NBA power rankings, listing where the teams stand from No. 1 to No. 30 over the next three seasons.

Only five NBA teams came in above the Philadelphia 76ers.

Related: Ben Simmons Will Not Have Any Minutes Restrictions

Each team received a future power grade of 0-100 based on five categories. The Sixers were given a total score of 57.5, good enough to be slotted into the No. 6 slot on these “future” NBA power rankings and one spot ahead of the Cleveland Cavaliers.

The Sixers ranked 4th in money and draft, 12th in players, 17th in market, and 19th in management.

“If those young standouts stay healthy and develop as expected, the Sixers will have the star talent necessary to compete for a championship,” ESPN.com’s Kevin Pelton wrote.

With Joel Embiid, Ben Simmons, Markelle Fultz, J.J. Redick, Robert Covington, and Dario Saric the Sixers have put together a core that only health could derail.

The Timberwolves, Spurs, Rockets, Celtics, and Warriors — in descending order — make up the top five.

76ers Ranked No. 6 In ‘Future’ Power Rankings

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2017/09/21/76ers-6-future-power-rankings/

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — ESPN.com released their “future” NBA power rankings, listing where the teams stand from No. 1 to No. 30 over the next three seasons.

Only five NBA teams came in above the Philadelphia 76ers.

Related: Ben Simmons Will Not Have Any Minutes Restrictions

Each team received a future power grade of 0-100 based on five categories. The Sixers were given a total score of 57.5, good enough to be slotted into the No. 6 slot on these “future” NBA power rankings and one spot ahead of the Cleveland Cavaliers.

The Sixers ranked 4th in money and draft, 12th in players, 17th in market, and 19th in management.

“If those young standouts stay healthy and develop as expected, the Sixers will have the star talent necessary to compete for a championship,” ESPN.com’s Kevin Pelton wrote.

With Joel Embiid, Ben Simmons, Markelle Fultz, J.J. Redick, Robert Covington, and Dario Saric the Sixers have put together a core that only health could derail.

The Timberwolves, Spurs, Rockets, Celtics, and Warriors — in descending order — make up the top five.

Like I've said, time to put up. But you know and I know that Jo Jo gets hurt again. When that happens, sound the alarm. They are on the clock. Hopefully, Jo jo can play 5-5 sometimes soon.

Hopefully they are just being cautious which they can do this time of year. But this was supposed be a minor injury and the operation was 6 months ago. The Sixers need him to finally play and not just for limited minutes or taking off on consecutive night games. They also need to get some preseason games with all their players on the court as they are young and inexperienced and need to learn how to play together especially since Simmons may be doing a lot of the ball handling.

The Spurs at No. 2 in the "Future" Power Rankings? They have one really good young guy. Who else do they have?

Like I've said, time to put up. But you know and I know that Jo Jo gets hurt again. When that happens, sound the alarm. They are on the clock. Hopefully, Jo jo can play 5-5 sometimes soon.

No, this is what you said:

"The Sixers are a dumpster fire, a hot mess, whatever you want to call them. You want a case study on a screwed up franchise, they are front and center."

Nine months later ESPN has them as the team with the sixth best short term outlook.

We'll continue to revisit your dumb comments.

No, this is what you said:

"The Sixers are a dumpster fire, a hot mess, whatever you want to call them. You want a case study on a screwed up franchise, they are front and center."

Nine months later ESPN has them as the team with the sixth best short term outlook.

We'll continue to revisit your dumb comments.

Nice try. My comments above discuss their drafting of Noel near the top of the draft only to see him traded away for nothing. Then they doubled down and drafted Okafor who they would like to give away for even less than they took for Noel. In between, they then put all their chips in on a player who is now not even cleared for 5 on 5 and has probably a 50-50 chance at best of having a meaningful career. I won't even ask you if you have ever read the long term prospects for his type of injury issues since you obviously haven't done so. At some point, the player has to play. Not every other day, not 20 mins a night. Starting year 4, Embiid has played a total of 31 games in his career and many believe he is still hurt. Either that or the rumor that he is thinking of actually holding out to get a contract extension. This franchise is brain dead enough to be said to be considering such an extension.

Wow, ESPN says they have the "sixth best short term outlook." Now, just WTF does that mean and what type of person trots that out or anything else ESPN says as support for anything?!? I'm laughing. Seriously, I'm laughing. Keep listening to ESPN!

This franchise drafted bigs for three years, had no clue on how to scheme these players only to depress the value completely for two of the three players, and are now totally dependent long term on a player who has a devastating injury profile. Not to mention that the NBA game is no longer a post game which makes the drafting of those three players back to back to back even more amazing. Listen to what Barkley says about the make up of this current team ( assuming healthy which is a big if) and ball dependent players such as Simmons and now Fultz and how he thinks that impacts Reddick and Embiid in the running of their offense. But argue with him since you're such a brainiac. Or better yet, tell me what ESPN has to say!

Nice try. My comments above discuss their drafting of Noel near the top of the draft only to see him traded away for nothing. Then they doubled down and drafted Okafor who they would like to give away for even less than they took for Noel. In between, they then put all their chips in on a player who is now not even cleared for 5 on 5 and has probably a 50-50 chance at best of having a meaningful career. I won't even ask you if you have ever read the long term prospects for his type of injury issues since you obviously haven't done so. At some point, the player has to play. Not every other day, not 20 mins a night. Starting year 4, Embiid has played a total of 31 games in his career and many believe he is still hurt. Either that or the rumor that he is thinking of actually holding out to get a contract extension. This franchise is brain dead enough to be said to be considering such an extension.

Wow, ESPN says they have the "sixth best short term outlook." Now, just WTF does that mean and what type of person trots that out or anything else ESPN says as support for anything?!? I'm laughing. Seriously, I'm laughing. Keep listening to ESPN!

This franchise drafted bigs for three years, had no clue on how to scheme these players only to depress the value completely for two of the three players, and are now totally dependent long term on a player who has a devastating injury profile. Not to mention that the NBA game is no longer a post game which makes the drafting of those three players back to back to back even more amazing. Listen to what Barkley says about the make up of this current team ( assuming healthy which is a big if) and ball dependent players such as Simmons and now Fultz and how he thinks that impacts Reddick and Embiid in the running of their offense. But argue with him since you're such a brainiac. Or better yet, tell me what ESPN has to say!

So I'm clear, its absurd to ever take anything anyone at ESPN says seriously, but Charles Barkley's word is the Gospel. Come on...

Your commentary on the "post game" tells me there's no reason for me to try arguing with you on this issue. Yes, the traditional center is essentially no longer a thing. But the type of center who can protect the rim and also set perimeter screens and guard outside if need be are incredibly valuable in today's style of play. And that's exactly what Noel and Embiid are. So to pretend the Sixers drafted lumbering centers of the 80s is completely disingenuous.

So I'm clear, its absurd to ever take anything anyone at ESPN says seriously, but Charles Barkley's word is the Gospel. Come on...

Your commentary on the "post game" tells me there's no reason for me to try arguing with you on this issue. Yes, the traditional center is essentially no longer a thing. But the type of center who can protect the rim and also set perimeter screens and guard outside if need be are incredibly valuable in today's style of play. And that's exactly what Noel and Embiid are. So to pretend the Sixers drafted lumbering centers of the 80s is completely disingenuous.

OK, so let's discount the guy who is a Hall of Famer, one of the best 50 players of all time, and who watches more basketball than just about anyone. I'll take his word over someone who writes for ESPN who never played likely beyond the middle school gym.

I never said that a rim protector was not valuable. I agree with that. 100%. What I said was mind numbing was taking three of those players back to back to back. They had no plan on how to play ANY two of these guys at the same time. At the end of the day they turned two of them into worthless players for which they received or will receive nothing.

CBS Sports

Assessing who's in line to take Cavaliers' spot as the East's rep in the NBA Finals
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...iers-spot-as-the-easts-rep-in-the-nba-finals/

....... If you take the long view, though, you can argue that no team in the East -- Boston included -- has set itself up to become true championship contenders as has Philadelphia. The youth and injury risks associated with this roster are real, but the upside is incredible.

Sixers have room to add max free agent next summer, still have Lakers picks if it falls at 1 or 6-30.

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/09/...phia-76ers-try-realize-championship-potential

"The ultimate hope is that Embiid, Simmons and Fultz will develop a rapport this season and affirm their promising expectations -- in which case Colangelo will be able to access cap space to sign a max free agent next summer.

Hinkie’s idea was to build a championship organization from the ground up. Is Colangelo on his way to seeing that dream to its fulfillment? This season will provide the first, but not the final, answer."

Saric and Korkmaz both looked good in the Euro Championships. Saric was able to get some much needed rest and also looks like he lost 10-15lbs. Oak lost 15lbs or so as well. Unfortunately Embiid still has not been cleared for five on five and

Saric and Korkmaz both looked good in the Euro Championships. Saric was able to get some much needed rest and also looks like he lost 10-15lbs. Oak lost 15lbs or so as well. Unfortunately Embiid still has not been cleared for five on five and

They are just taking it real slow with Embiid. Think Jah had the same injury the prior year and he really struggled coming right back at the beginning of the season. There is no need to rush things at this point. There is no "championship drive" this year. Too young. A developmental year where I hope they make a playoff push.

OK, so let's discount the guy who is a Hall of Famer, one of the best 50 players of all time, and who watches more basketball than just about anyone. I'll take his word over someone who writes for ESPN who never played likely beyond the middle school gym.

I never said that a rim protector was not valuable. I agree with that. 100%. What I said was mind numbing was taking three of those players back to back to back. They had no plan on how to play ANY two of these guys at the same time. At the end of the day they turned two of them into worthless players for which they received or will receive nothing.

Since when does having been a great player mean you automatically have a clue about what it takes to build a great team. I guess Jordan's Hornets are a perpetual contender.

There are a million examples of Charles not having any idea what he's talking about, but I'll leave you with just one: in 2015 he said a jump shooting team like the Warriors will never win an NBA title.

What keen insight into how modern basketball works. I love Charles, but I appreciate him for his entertainment value, not because he's a hoops strategy savant.

Reactions: Aloha T and royboy
Since when does having been a great player mean you automatically have a clue about what it takes to build a great team. I guess Jordan's Hornets are a perpetual contender.

There are a million examples of Charles not having any idea what he's talking about, but I'll leave you with just one: in 2015 he said a jump shooting team like the Warriors will never win an NBA title.

What keen insight into how modern basketball works. I love Charles, but I appreciate him for his entertainment value, not because he's a hoops strategy savant.

I understand but I think Charles prob brings a little more credibility than some doofus who writes for ESPN who never played. I can understand what he said about the Warriors to some extent. Charles played while there were still dominant centers that the offense ran through whether it was Ewing, Moses, Shaw, Duncan/Robinson, Kareem, etc. The game changed. I would think Barkley has adjusted his thoughts now to reflect the state of the NBA game. But point taken.

If Charles wasn't such a clown, he would likely be more respected. His goofing takes away from his analysis a lot. Players know players though and the point Charles was making was some of the challenges when you have a center who still believes the offense should run through him first.

I did love though that the GM said the playoffs aren't necessarily a realistic goal for this team for this year.

As good as Embiid was on offense, he was elite on defense.

"As potent as Embiid was offensively, his defensive impact proved vital to the uptick in success the Sixers achieved during the first half of the season. With the 7-foot, rim-protecting force on the court, the team posted an elite defensive rating of 99.1 points allowed per 100 possessions (for context, no club this season finished with a defensive rating below 100.0). Conversely, when Embiid was taken out of games, that same defensive figure jumped to 108.1."

DKlccRjW0AAJZBc.jpg:large

I don't think I've looked forward to a season this way since the '99 PSU football season. I believe only 4 of their first 14 games are at home, so I wouldn't be disappointed if they don't start strong. This season is about meshing and sustained health to me.

I think they will be much improved, and will continue to improve with time. I know they will be very entertaining to watch. But there are certainly people who disagree, like ESPN's Ryan Russilo, in the link below:

http://my.xfinity.com/video/russill...ewest?cid=featuredsports_sf_Sixers&tab=sports

I don't make predictions, but the Sixers very well could be a .500 team this year. That isn't the point. Young teams don't win big. The point is the Sixers have all the building blocks in place to POTENTIALLY become a championship team. Embiid, Simmons, and Fultz are the best players from their respective draft classes. That all have the potential to be superstars. We probably have one more Top 10 pick coming from Lakers/Kings and room for a max free agent next year. It isn't about winning this year. It's about getting our young players experience and adding to that core.

Reactions: bwifan
I don't make predictions, but the Sixers very well could be a .500 team this year. That isn't the point. Young teams don't win big. The point is the Sixers have all the building blocks in place to POTENTIALLY become a championship team. Embiid, Simmons, and Fultz are the best players from their respective draft classes. That all have the potential to be superstars. We probably have one more Top 10 pick coming from Lakers/Kings and room for a max free agent next year. It isn't about winning this year. It's about getting our young players experience and adding to that core.

Exactly I am not expecting a ring this year. Just want to see steps forward and in about 2 years this team will be ready to make a run at a ring. Will be ups and downs this year but is going to be a blast watching them all year

They've won 3/4 and the narrow loss was a heartbreaker in Boston Gardens. What they've learned is they are most effective with the lineup of Iliasova at strong forward, McConnell at point, the Process (Embid) at Center,and Covington at the small forward. They are a decent defensive and rebounding team with theses players. They've also learned that both of the other big men, Okafor is expendable because of his lack of defense, and Nerlins Noel because of his contract situation, although he is proven to be a better sub for Embid because of his defensive presence and quicker game. Stauskas or Henderson at shooting guard are decent subs, and Sharic plays well off the bench at strong forward.

Ben Simmons is beginning to work out with the team and when he plays he may play point guard at 6-10 and the whole dynamic of the game may change with incredibly hard challenges for the opposition defense. Both Okafor and Noel appear to be on the trading block and conventional wisdom is that one of them will be traded for at least of a good draft pick in next year's guard rich draft, or for perhaps an older guard right now. I believe they already own some high first round picks in next year's draft due to Hickie's process. This will be an important and very interesting personnel decision. I personally hope they can find a way to keep Nerlins Noel to spell Embid especially while playing with Ben Simmons who is such a proficient passer. Both Noel and Embid need to be receiving assists closer to the rim and be less subject to turnovers and defensive attention when they start their play 20 feet away and have to put it on the floor in order to attack the basket. At this stage I think the team will sit and wait until Ben Simmons is playing so they can evaluate which if if not both of the Oakafor/Noel is like to be dealt. Anyway the point of my long winded post was just to inform that the lowly 76ers are beginning to assemble this bunch of talented assets into an actual team, and they are identifying who fits and who must go.. That is real progress and it shows. They have a huge hole to fill at point guard, and they also need to add a better perimeter shooter. in addition they need to get quality back in a trade of Okafor or Noel. The should be able to make these trades, and fill their deficiencies what they get in return or through next year's draft pics. That could result in an actual team of talented players which fit well together as a team. Still some important moves to make before we hand them a trophy but it appears that the glory years are close by finally.

Why do I always feel this is what people mean when they say the Sixers are turning the corner?
bKsCDHF.gif

I generally agree with this ^^^^. They won't win a ring this year, and they may not make the playoffs, But they are young, talented and exciting, and they will only get better. I think 30 wins is probably the floor, and around 40 wins (one win under a .500 record) the ceiling.. That might get them a 7 or 8 seed in the Eastern Conference playoffs.

I generally agree with this ^^^^. They won't win a ring this year, and they may not make the playoffs, But they are young, talented and exciting, and they will only get better. I think 30 wins is probably the floor, and around 40 wins (one win under a .500 record) the ceiling.. That might get them a 7 or 8 seed in the Eastern Conference playoffs.
I’m on the fence about them making the playoffs. They aren’t a threat to contend. Is one more shot at the lottery such a bad thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT