ADVERTISEMENT

OT The press practically ignored Phil Mickelson

Marylovesthelions

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2008
Mt Dora FL
and the fact that LIV golfers cleaned up. If they had been skunked, the boot lockers would have made it major news. TRUTH. The PGA was screwing the golfers. Only the new league drove them to increase player payouts. Sad to see qll sports media locking the boots of PGA toadies.
Very little was shown or talked about Phil's amazing round.
It looks like Rahm has lost about 50 pounds. Good for him.

PS The Saudis made a bad investment. They are universally hated in America. Their league is doomed in the USA

I have no idea on this, but, does the LIV tour raise anywhere near the charitable donations that the PGA does? Just asking. The Masters was paying out over 2 million to the winner before the LIV tour appeared. If you're trying to make people feel sorry for golfers, well, good luck with that.

What is the proper amount of coverage to give a guy that tied for 2nd? Down the stretch, CBS was showing every shot of Phil's. They talked about him a bunch on the Golf Channel on Sunday night, I saw a few articles about him, etc. Don't think it's any different than the coverage that Rory got last year (and he tied for second on his own), unless you're looking to find a narrative on this one.

and the fact that LIV golfers cleaned up. If they had been skunked, the boot lockers would have made it major news. TRUTH. The PGA was screwing the golfers. Only the new league drove them to increase player payouts. Sad to see qll sports media locking the boots of PGA toadies.

PS The Saudis made a bad investment. They are universally hated in America. Their league is doomed in the USA
That’s basically because Phil was out of the tourney by the time he started his round.

I have no idea on this, but, does the LIV tour raise anywhere near the charitable donations that the PGA does? Just asking. The Masters was paying out over 2 million to the winner before the LIV tour appeared. If you're trying to make people feel sorry for golfers, well, good luck with that.
This isn’t too bad.

Phil was covered but you know they being CBS and the Masters honchos would have much rather had Rory head cheerleader and apologist for the PGA and chief whiner over the LIV McIlroy making the charge.

I think it was timing. Lefty came out of left field slaying that last round. Since the National coverage didn’t start until 3 his unbelievable round wasn’t able to be live. I know you could follow him on espn plus but for the mainstream fan he wasn’t a factor since he was about done when they tuned in. I do agree pga is probably in shock how well the liv players did. I won’t be watching liv period. I personally hope pga holds service and doesn’t pivot to much hastily.

I think it was timing. Lefty came out of left field slaying that last round. Since the National coverage didn’t start until 3 his unbelievable round wasn’t able to be live. I know you could follow him on espn plus but for the mainstream fan he wasn’t a factor since he was about done when they tuned in. I do agree pga is probably in shock how well the liv players did. I won’t be watching liv period. I personally hope pga holds service and doesn’t pivot to much hastily.
Agreed. He got good coverage down the stretch but was so far behind he never really contended. Rahm won by four strokes!

Golf channel, who HATE LIV, gave Phil props. At the end of the day the whole LIV thing is a media creation. The players don’t hate the other players. They are all making out like bandits. And most fans don’t care. Watch LIV, don’t watch it, who cares?

In my opinion, the production of LIV is awful. The team thing, their awful logos, shorts, music playing…. Feels very unprofessional. It just looks like a bunch of bud lite dudes playing golf on tv to me.

Maybe Phil got more coverage within the Saudi broadcasts......

It was fine for me not seeing too much of him.

:oops:

Reactions: BOSCO2
My big issue with the whole LIV controversy is that I do not recall any liberals ever criticizing Saudi Arabia until they came out in support of Donald Trump getting rid of the Iran Nuclear Deal. Now all the sudden, Saudi Arabia is this great human rights violator that is responsible for 9/11. And likewise, we must all hate LIV and deem all their players complicit in said human rights violations.

But Prior to 2018, anyone would probably be called Islamophobic for being that critical of the Saudis.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoBareFeet
My big issue with the whole LIV controversy is that I do not recall any liberals ever criticizing Saudi Arabia until they came out in support of Donald Trump getting rid of the Iran Nuclear Deal. Now all the sudden, Saudi Arabia is this great human rights violator that is responsible for 9/11. And likewise, we must all hate LIV and deem all their players complicit in said human rights violations.

But Prior to 2018, anyone would probably be called Islamophobic for being that critical of the Saudis.
We will never forget 9/11 and who spawned the hatred.

In past Masters with Phi shooting a 2 under par on Friday, we were treated to every shot hit by Mickelson....... he was probably covered the appropriate amount of time on Sunday.....he was somewhat ignored the first 3 days due to, IMO both LIV partnership and his scoring to that point. Koepka got a lot of coverage but in the interest of the tornament - he and Rahm were the story for all 4 days.........

The one person who should have gotten more coverage was the Texas Tech Dance Girl in the Masters Hat on 16. Thought for sure that she was one of the golfers WAGs.....but she was just a hot Patron.

Dave-C-main-Split-2023-04-11T154513.950-600x314.jpg

Reactions: bytir
I don't know that he was trying to make people feel sorry for golfers, but just pointing out the hypocrisy of the PGA Tour. Increased purses, 54 hole tournaments and the other changes the PGA had made since LIV came into existence was just all one big coincidence I suppose.

As I said in the original point. The Saudi league is rightfully doomed in the USA. They are almost universally hated. They are not a friend of ours. They are an unfriendly ally.

Maybe Phil got more coverage within the Saudi broadcasts......

It was fine for me not seeing too much of him.

:oops:
I was also fine with Rory having extra time on the weekend to criticize the LIV players who were playing the final two rounds of the Masters too.

I don't know but this is the LIV Tour's second year. How long has the PGA been around?

In past Masters with Phi shooting a 2 under par on Friday, we were treated to every shot hit by Mickelson....... he was probably covered the appropriate amount of time on Sunday.....he was somewhat ignored the first 3 days due to, IMO both LIV partnership and his scoring to that point. Koepka got a lot of coverage but in the interest of the tornament - he and Rahm were the story for all 4 days.........

The one person who should have gotten more coverage was the Texas Tech Dance Girl in the Masters Hat on 16. Thought for sure that she was one of the golfers WAGs.....but she was just a hot Patron.

Dave-C-main-Split-2023-04-11T154513.950-600x314.jpg
I wondered who that was. Gorgeous. Sounds like it was all planned out

In my opinion, the production of LIV is awful. The team thing, their awful logos, shorts, music playing…. Feels very unprofessional. It just looks like a bunch of bud lite dudes playing golf on tv to me.

I could not agree more. That party atmosphere stinks. They need a major redo of their presentation. And get rid of the shorts too. I’m surprised they’re not driving around in carts with a six pack. Or peeing in the bushes.

Reactions: 1 and Obliviax
Agreed. He got good coverage down the stretch but was so far behind he never really contended. Rahm won by four strokes!

Golf channel, who HATE LIV, gave Phil props. At the end of the day the whole LIV thing is a media creation. The players don’t hate the other players. They are all making out like bandits. And most fans don’t care. Watch LIV, don’t watch it, who cares?

Don't say Bud Light or you'll be banned! 😊🙄

When you watch PGA leadership on the Golf Channel, one word comes to mind; sanctimonious.
I made it clear that LIV is doomed here because if it's owners. They are allies but enemies of America. They sponsored the spread of the violent Islam that curses the world today.

I could not agree more. That party atmosphere stinks. They need a major redo of their presentation. And get rid of the shorts too. I’m surprised they’re not driving around in carts with a six pack. Or peeing in the bushes.
As an avid golfer in his 60's I can tell you this is all designed to appeal to the younger golfers who came out of nowhere after Covid. They ride around in golf carts with six packs, music playing, and in very casual, not right for the season, clothing. But to the golf courses, the younger set's money is as good as mine.

The only reason Michelson didn't get more coverage on Sunday is because he was -1 entering the final round when the leader was -12. The media was focused on the last few groups that seemed to have a chance to win.

Michelson finished with an amazing 5 birdies in the last 7 holes but he still had no chance to win by then. Koepka was the only other LIV player under par at the Masters.

Last edited:
anyone who is interested, Full Swing, on Netflix, follows the PGA tour last season during the LIV mess. Its kind of "hard knocks", the NFL camp show on HBO Max. Honestly, I think LIV is a big mole hill right now. There are a LOT of rumors that many players want out of their LIV contracts (rumor is that it is Koepka, primarily).

You’re a little late ….

Reactions: ncgolfer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT