ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ten Greatest Dramatic TV Characters of All-Time

My top 3:

Ken Osmond as Eddie Haskell in Leave It to Beaver
Clint Eastwood as Rowdy Yates in Rawhide
Freddie Highmore as Shaun Murphy in The Good Doctor

In honor of the great Michael K. Williams. My own rules: Dramas only, only one character per show, only shows I’ve seen(never saw Mad Men or Lost, sorry)

Criteria: greatness of the character, greatness of the acting, originality of the character, iconic factor, greatness of show.

Here’s mine, what do ya think?
1. Walter White - Breaking Bad
2. Al Swearengen - Deadwood
3. Omar Little - The Wire
4. Tony Soprano- The Sopranos
5. Tyrion Lannister - Game of Thrones
6. Gregory House - House
7. Mike Ehrmantraut - Better Call Saul
8. Villanelle - Killing Eve
9. Andy Sipowicz - NYPD Blue
10. Hawkeye Pierce - MASH

Pietro Svastano. Gommorah is one of the best and intense shows ever made!

No list is complete without the original MacGyver.

images

All these great characters (really good job on those lists) but still no Avery Brooks as Hawk in Spenser for Hire? I'm kidding, but still one of my fave roles.

Paladin- Have Gun, Will Travel
Sgt. Saunders- Combat

Lennie Briscoe from Law & Order is probably the best character ever in a drama show.

Jack Bauer in 24 was also a great character

In honor of the great Michael K. Williams. My own rules: Dramas only, only one character per show, only shows I’ve seen(never saw Mad Men or Lost, sorry)

Criteria: greatness of the character, greatness of the acting, originality of the character, iconic factor, greatness of show.

6. Gregory House - House
J.R. Ewing - Dallas

1 - Tony Soprano
2 - Walter White
3 - Don Draper
4 - Carmela Soprano (don't @ me)
5 - Tyrion Lannister
6 - Nora Durst
7 - Carrie Matheson
8 - Dick Winters
9 - Saul Berenson
10 - Gosh take your pick from Wire but gimme Bunny Colvin

HM - Al Swearengen, Jimmy / Bunk / Omar / Stringer / Avon / Brother Mouzone / Prop Joe / Marlo / Chris / Snoop / Slim Charles / Namond / Randy / Michael / Wee-Bey I mean I could keep going, Tywin / Jaime / Cersei Lannister, Mare Sheehan, Amy Adams' character in Sharp Objects, Nicole Kidman in Big Little Lies, The Hound

Very HBO-heavy list for me but they deliver better quality content than anyone, by far.

MacGyver wasn't a drama. If we're counting that, then MDA is in my list for sure.

6. Gregory House - House

Rust Cohle. - True Detective
One of the most complex, fascinating and well-acted (Matthew McConaughey) characters in any medium.

Jim Rockford.
Kevin Arnold
Sam Weir - Freaks and Geeks
Fox Mulder
Sipowicz.
James T Kirk
Spock
All 3 Charleys Angels.

Network TV gems that I consider dramatic characters and shows.

I’m rewatching Deadwood….has there ever been a show with so many great characters? Even the minor characters like Dan, Richardson, Tom, Doc and many others were awesome.
Deadwood is so underrated. An incredible mix of violence, humor, pathos and poetry. Amazing ensemble cast, though McShane’s performance as Swearengen is one for the ages, truly something to behold. It’s a pity it ended abruptly due to some contract disputes with HBO.

I watched what appeared to be the pilot for Barnaby Jones last night. Frank Cannon made a cameo. In the episode Barnaby's son (and former detective partner) is murdered. Barnaby had been retired for 3 years and he and Cannon solved the crime. Betty was his son's widow. GREAT episode imo.

I was shocked that he was barely mentioned on this thread. He had us all on the edge of our seat like no other for a couple of years anyway. Amazing concept and Kief nailed it.
Of course if it wasn’t for his dumb ass daughter getting kidnapped every couple of weeks he wouldn’t have had anything to do all day. I finally got to the point where I was telling Jack to just let them keep her, it would save you a lot of time and headaches.

Rust Cohle. - True Detective
One of the most complex, fascinating and well-acted (Matthew McConaughey) characters in any medium.

I found Cohle’s present day far, far different than his police work days. His look and lifestyle didn’t seem an obvious evolution of his former nihilistic, but pragmatic self. Maybe the case hit him harder, but Woody’s character was largely the same. Still a great character and on of my favorite seasons of television ever.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT