ADVERTISEMENT

OT: So what does ‘tactical’ mean anyway?

The Spin Meister

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
I keep seeing ads for tactical sunglasses, tactical flashlights, tactical boots. Now I see an ad for a tactical walking stick.

Just what does tactical mean? My guess is that it is supposed to mean it was developed for the military so it is better then anything you own so you must buy it especially if you are a true patriot!

The one thing I haven’t seen yet is tactical condoms. After all, we know love is a battlefield!

According to Google. "Military tactical sunglasses are designed for active duty soldiers and special operations forces to increase situational awareness, visibility, and protection during movement."

I keep seeing ads for tactical sunglasses, tactical flashlights, tactical boots. Now I see an ad for a tactical walking stick.

Just what does tactical mean? My guess is that it is supposed to mean it was developed for the military so it is better then anything you own so you must buy it especially if you are a true patriot!

The one thing I haven’t seen yet is tactical condoms. After all, we know love is a battlefield!

How about a tactical steering wheel cover?

I guess I could use my tactical gloves...

These roads are WARZONES

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
I can answer this. I helped develop a product for the tactical environment. Tactical refers to something that is made for use in a kinetic war environment. It can also be used to describe some police equipment...think SWAT (Special Weapons and Tactics)

Oakley, for example, has a tactical line of glasses meant for soldiers.

On the Tech side, Samsung has their S23 smart phone. There is a TE (Tactical Edition) version that includes different firmware to connect to military radios and is mounted on a soldier's chest. It typically has a piece of SW called ATAK (Android Tactical Assault Kit) that is a mapping/comms SW that shows locations of friendly forces, allows calls for resupply, drop pins on areas of interest, fly small UAVs, etc.

Edit: That said, there are lots of things sold on the consumer market that get labeled 'tactical' that would never see a battlefield. They may be made to mimic a tactical item (at a lower price) or may just be junk, or could be the real deal.

I can answer this. I helped develop a product for the tactical environment. Tactical refers to something that is made for use in a kinetic war environment. It can also be used to describe some police equipment...think SWAT (Special Weapons and Tactics)

On the Tech side, Samsung has their S23 smart phone. There is a TE (Tactical Edition) version that includes different firmware to connect to military radios and is mounted on a soldier's chest. It typically has a piece of SW called ATAK (Android Tactical Assault Kit) that is a mapping/comms SW that shows locations of friendly forces, allows calls for resupply, drop pins on areas of interest, fly small UAVs, etc.

Edit: That said, there are lots of things sold on the consumer market that get labeled 'tactical' that would never see a battlefield. They may be made to mimic a tactical item (at a lower price) or may just be junk, or could be the real deal.
Very detailed clarification. You are correct about the "tactical" label showing up on many items the military does not use. Lots of knockoffs.

Good thoughts.

I often use the terms "tactical" and "strategic". The inference is that a tactic is driven by the strategy. Point being you first have to get your strategy before aligning your tactics to achieve your strategy. To that point "tactical" is then less important than "strategic".

So if I was selling condoms, I'd call them "strategic condoms" and not "tactical condoms" (or sunglasses).

A great question being asked by @The Spin Meister. I feel like the term "tactical" is being used like "military grade".

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
c399_tactical_canned_bacon.jpg

Triad Long-Gun Condom​

Triad Tactical

$40.00 - $45.00

Rifle%20Condom__93519.1553026112.jpg

Good thoughts.

I often use the terms "tactical" and "strategic". The inference is that a tactic is driven by the strategy. Point being you first have to get your strategy before aligning your tactics to achieve your strategy. To that point "tactical" is then less important than "strategic".

So if I was selling condoms, I'd call them "strategic condoms" and not "tactical condoms" (or sunglasses).

A great question being asked by @The Spin Meister. I feel like the term "tactical" is being used like "military grade".
In military terms, the strategy is developed in the command center. The tactics are the specific actions that implement the strategy

Good thoughts.

That was my oh-so-subtle point. I see guys in cammo acting all tough pushing their ‘tactical whatever’. But if they are selling sunglasses for $19.99 then no way they are military grade.

Just playing on people that are patriotic and want to support the military. And think it’s cool to have TACTICAL GEAR!

Reactions: jjw165 and Obliviax
That was my oh-so-subtle point. I see guys in cammo acting all tough pushing their ‘tactical whatever’. But if they are selling sunglasses for $19.99 then no way they are military grade.

Just playing on people that are patriotic and want to support the military. And think it’s cool to have TACTICAL GEAR!
6jt1.gif

This is a total BS post

How can you possibly see guys in Camo?

That tactical gear should make them invisible to the naked eye.

It means you're supposed to shell out your money for these products because they're "tactical."

Those who have served will tell you that developed for the military usually doesn't mean best. It means bought by government at lowest bid.

Tactical is a term used for marketing to civilians who do not know what tactical means.

Those who have served will tell you that developed for the military usually doesn't mean best. It means bought by government at lowest bid.

Tactical is a term used for marketing to civilians who do not know what tactical means.
Yep. Unless you want to spend $2,500 for a toilet or $150 for a hammer.

Reactions: joeaubie21
no way they are military grade.

EC hit on it. I'm not an ex-mil, but working on the railroad we have a bunch of them. They tended to tell ya that if a product said military grade, it's probably a PoS. See the ear plugs among other things.

In the military context, "tactical" can also mean "immediate" or "on the battlefield" while "strategic" refers to the big picture.

For example, the Civil War battle of Antietam was a tactical draw with neither side holding a battlefield advantage after 12 hours of horrific fighting...the bloodiest single day in American military history.

Strategically, however, it may have been the most important Union victory of the entire war, to include Gettysburg, as it blunted Lee's invasion of the North, caused Europe's powers to reconsider their potential recognition of the Confederacy's statehood, and set the stage for Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation that changed the moral terms and stakes of the entire conflict.

A similar concept of tactical versus strategic has application in non-military arenas, not least of which is politics.

Reactions: RickinDayton

lowest bidder (not always, sometimes it's "best value")...but items bought for the military must meet milspec (military specifications) so that bids are analyzed based on what the military needs in apples to apples comparisons.

It's a complicated yet necessary process.

lowest bidder (not always, sometimes it's "best value")...but items bought for the military must meet milspec (military specifications) so that bids are analyzed based on what the military needs in apples to apples comparisons.

Yes. I was generalizing. I didn't think a run down from the acquisition corps would go over well.

I just saw some cut up tactical trash cans being wielded on tv. Were you involved with those?

Good thing they have the emergency procurement process to circumvent that and all these new wars to use it on.

Good thoughts.

In a past life I used the terms every day too.

Strategy = the umbrella concept/goal.

Maybe cut down the yards of a dual threat QB with a proclivity to tuck and run.

Tactic = different ways/plays you do to achieve it.

E.g.- have the Safety shadow qb on some plays, have DE's hold the edges without going too far upfield to keep him in the pocket on passing situations forcing him to throw or go up middle etc

The words are interchanged often when really one is the sum of the parts. Tactics are relatively easy to judge and shift. If your strategy is wrong then you are in big trouble...

Reactions: Obliviax
In a past life I used the terms every day too.

Strategy = the umbrella concept/goal.

Maybe cut down the yards of a dual threat QB with a proclivity to tuck and run.

Tactic = different ways/plays you do to achieve it.

E.g.- have the Safety shadow qb on some plays, have DE's hold the edges without going too far upfield to keep him in the pocket on passing situations forcing him to throw or go up middle etc

The words are interchanged often when really one is the sum of the parts. Tactics are relatively easy to judge and shift. If your strategy is wrong then you are in big trouble...
Right. In football strategy would be the game plan going into Saturday. A tactic is the play you call on second and six.

Hence the term "tacti-cool."

• Haha
Tactical in the retail world just means you're probably a sucker who has tribal behavior that can easily be manipulated. It's a marketing term for things you can buy that has nothing to do with military grade.
As the old saying goes, "a sucker is born every minute!"
Call it tactical and put a tattered flag on it!

Being in law enforcement for 27 years and on the USMS Task Force I found out quickly what being tactical meant. Not having a military background or growing up hunting or ever firing a gun, I had to learn quickly or lose respect of my fellow officers. Tactical is a frame of mind, the way you dress, how you apply your training, and most importantly how you carry yourself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT