ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sixt Car Rental

Cosmos

May 29, 2001
Never heard of them until today through a friend. Anyone have experience with them? They seem incredibly cheap and therein lies my concern. For example, weekly quotes for a full sized van from Enterprise and Budget are $790 and $715, respectively. However, Sixt shows it as $235.

Sixt is the largest car rental agency in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Israel.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Rented from them in Brussels and SFO. Both experiences went as expected.

Don’t expect as nice a car as advertised but they’re not out to screw you over like Hertz.

My SFO rental was over Memorial Day weekend. Advertised car was MB GLA or similar. Ended up with Rover Discovery Sport - imo not nearly as nice but hard to argue that when you want to get going.

I've used them once. I usually rent Budget (FastBreak member) but I tried out Sixt when I was down in Miami/Everglades for a weekend this past winter.

You are right - they are cheaper. They were ULTRA-aggressive, however, at the counter in terms of trying to upsell everything. I get it, stuff like upselling insurance is how Car Rental companies make a lot of their money. But they were completely over-the-top. Also felt like they were talking down to me when I declined (I've done the car rental rodeo many times before).

The car itself was fine, and there were no charges or such tacked on at the end. So, I did save a non-insignificant amount of money.

Used them in Croatia, no complaints, used them again last month in LA, no complaints other than their shuttle was slow to get us from LAX.

Never heard of them until today through a friend. Anyone have experience with them? They seem incredibly cheap and therein lies my concern. For example, weekly quotes for a full sized van from Enterprise and Budget are $790 and $715, respectively. However, Sixt shows it as $235.

Sixt is the largest car rental agency in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Israel.

Thanks in advance.
Used them in Paris 3 summers ago. Also rented an SUV in Phoenix and drove to 2017 Rose Bowl. They rent EURO vehicles extensively if not exclusively iirc. You can get a Mercedes for the price of a Ford etc. iirc. Great experiences both times.

I’ve used them in Florida and Phoenix with pretty good success. Last time I was upgraded to a Jaguar XF which was a beautiful car but interestingly had no backup camera. Other times I had a Caddilac SUV and a Ford Explorer. Never had a problem and was treated well.

Last edited:

Thanks in advance.

I use Sixt every time I rent a car in Europe. Never had any problems with them. I got that advice from a friend who lived in Switzerland for 15 years. He never used anyone but Sixt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT