ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Shiffrin wins 45th world cup slalom of career, 3rd in GS

johnmpsu

Nov 29, 2001
EagleVail, CO
Closing in on slalom world cup first place.

Gets 3rd in today's GS

2995552-61466768-2560-1440.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Relayer and Bobpsu
Has the USA ever had a better alpine skier, male or female? I can't think of one.
Lindsay Vonn was damn good, and lost a lot of potential wins due to injuries, but I'd say no --- Mikaela Shiffrin is the best. I've often thought it's a shame that most Americans don't follow Alpine Skiing except for the Winter Olympic Games. In Europe she is an absolute "rock star" and recognized everywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Has the USA ever had a better alpine skier, male or female? I can't think of one.
Of course Vonn. On the male side In his prime Ted Ligety was incredibly dominant at GS winning races by ridiculous amounts. Bode Miller was also damn good. Overall Shiffrin is going to outshine all of them. She's amazing.

Last edited:
Thanks @johnmpsu - 13 to Vonn, 17 to Stenmark. Good to see her back in the groove after a tough year and change.

As for the question above, a really good barometer of how good a skier is is their excellence across all disciplines - Downhill, Super G, Giant Slalom, Slalom and Combined. The US amazingly has 3 of the 6 who have won races in all 5 - Vonn, Miller and Shiffrin. Super G wasn’t competed in on the circuit until 1986, so a few excellent skiers in the past never got the chance to do this, but it would still be a small number.

Honestly, Bode Miller was a genius on skis and an amazing athlete. Who know what he would have done if he had Shiffrin’s focus, but he still had a great career - even though he threw an entire Olympics away in his prime.

But I could see Shiffrin approaching 100 wins if she stays healthy. She’s unreal

Reactions: johnmpsu
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT