ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Scottsdale AZ Golf

tchains23

Jan 17, 2008
Hey guys, I'm going to be playing a few round in Scottsdale in 2 weeks and was wondering if anyone had any advice in regards to ball flight distance etc. I see that its only about 1,200' ft above sea level. Ive played in places of higher altitudes and have seen the difference. Has anyone played there and have thoughts? With it being about 1,200' ft above sea level and hot air, has anyone played there and have advice. Thanks!

Hey guys, I'm going to be playing a few round in Scottsdale in 2 weeks and was wondering if anyone had any advice in regards to ball flight distance etc. I see that its only about 1,200' ft above sea level. Ive played in places of higher altitudes and have seen the difference. Has anyone played there and have thoughts? With it being about 1,200' ft above sea level and hot air, has anyone played there and have advice. Thanks!
If you play in north Scottsdale you'll be at 2,000 to 2,500' altitude. You might pick up about 1/2 a club or so compared with coastal or lower altitude courses. Troon North has 2 high desert tracts that are highly rated and very scenic. Troon plays at 2,500 nominal.

If you play in north Scottsdale you'll be at 2,000 to 2,500' altitude. You might pick up about 1/2 a club or so compared with coastal or lower altitude courses. Troon North has 2 high desert tracts that are highly rated and very scenic. Troon plays at 2,500 nominal.

Thanks for the response.

Were playing Karsten ( ASU) course and TPC Scottsdale. Troon was on the list if we had more time.

Thanks for the response.

Were playing Karsten ( ASU) course and TPC Scottsdale. Troon was on the list if we had more time.

Played both on trips out there, great choices. You'll see a lot more effect at TPC, probably 1/2 to almost a full club. Lot more room off the tee than it looks like at Karsten- hit drivers. Enjoy old town for dinner/drinks after and take in the scenery

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
Played both on trips out there, great choices. You'll see a lot more effect at TPC, probably 1/2 to almost a full club. Lot more room off the tee than it looks like at Karsten- hit drivers. Enjoy old town for dinner/drinks after and take in the scenery
Good call on Old Town!

The rule of thumb is that for every 5000 ft change in elevation, golf ball distance is affected by about 10%. I can pretty much verify this from my own experience. The dry air will have a minimum impact on ball flight but that impact will reduce distance a wee little bit

I lived in the Phoenix area for about five years. 1200 ft isn't much. Never noticed a difference and can't remember anyone else talking about it. My only advise is stay hydrated and use lots of sunscreen. Karsten and TPC are both great courses.

If you get any more time, play we ko pa (cholla course). Much better than troon and usually less expensive

I lived in the Phoenix area for about five years. 1200 ft isn't much. Never noticed a difference and can't remember anyone else talking about it. My only advise is stay hydrated and use lots of sunscreen. Karsten and TPC are both great courses.

I didnt think the altitude would really be a factor, just was curious. Yes lots of water and sunscreen will be had. Plus some beers.

Reactions: Mile High Lion

Old town is definitely going to happen.

Reactions: cjrugger
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT