ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Sales opportunities in Pittsburgh

Lions1125

Aug 9, 2015
Hi all, don't post much but do read but looking for some advice/guidance tonight. I am currently living in New England and work as a sales rep for Xerox with the Greater Boston Area being my territory. I have been in this role for two years now and have had some good success.

My goal since graduating from PSU in 2013 has been to work in medical sales. My thought was that two years of success with Xerox would be enough sales experience to break into this industry, but since applying to jobs recently I haven't had the return hit rate I thought I would.

My gf and I are looking to move back to Pittsburgh in August. So far my best leads appear to be roles as a "sales associate" for medical companies, where you are not actually the rep in the territory and only get paid bonuses if the reps hits 100% of plan and and a possible role with Cintas. I have heard many medical companies love reps who have came from Cintas.

Any advice about Cintas, or the medical sales possibilities in Pittsburgh would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

i know nothing of sales BUT since there are so many medical companies here I would suggest making a bunch of cold calls.

While I do not have knowledge of Pittsburgh sales possibilities or Cintas, I am a medical sales rep.

To break into the medical device industry you have to start out as a sales associate, working with a rep. Being hired as a sales rep with no medical experience is very near impossible. Either have to take a sales associate role to learn the ropes or try and get into a pharma sales position.

Have spent a lot of time in Dr's offices the last two years with elderly relatives. All the sales reps are gorgeous women dressed to the nines. My suggestion is to transition with a great stylist as that is what they seem to want. Spend a lot of time practicing in high heels. Big hair a pre-requisit. Very sexist business there.

Have spent a lot of time in Dr's offices the last two years with elderly relatives. All the sales reps are gorgeous women dressed to the nines. My suggestion is to transition with a great stylist as that is what they seem to want. Spend a lot of time practicing in high heels. Big hair a pre-requisit. Very sexist business there.
---
I shoulda added; If you are already a born-as female, you and your gf should stop by, I will give you two some pointers.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
Do most of the sales associates end up staying with the same company or do you have the ability to be the rep with someone else?

One company I spoke to about an associate role mentioned moving up within 6-8 months, but you would have to relocate and I am already doing that now and hope to stay in Pittsburgh.

Do most of the sales associates end up staying with the same company or do you have the ability to be the rep with someone else?

One company I spoke to about an associate role mentioned moving up within 6-8 months, but you would have to relocate and I am already doing that now and hope to stay in Pittsburgh.

Every company is different, depending on their sales model. Some make it easier to be promoted and stay in the same area. A majority of associate reps end up taking a full rep job in a different city or get a full rep position with another company.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT