ADVERTISEMENT

OT Rude or not rude? This AM I was in the dentist waiting area, the guy

sluggo72

Aug 31, 2006
next to me is on his phone, using the speaker btw, for what I considered a long time, He was just yapping away having a conversation. It wasnt like some body called him, and he just said, listen I am in the waiting room with other people, I'll call you back, I was hearing both sides of the conversation. What were they talking about? Who knows, Kumar (the name they called when it was his turn) was speaking a language I am unfamiliar with, but like I said , he was doing it on his speaker phone for several minutes. My question is, would you consider this rude or rude to others in the room?

next to me is on his phone, using the speaker btw, for what I considered a long time, He was just yapping away having a conversation. It wasnt like some body called him, and he just said, listen I am in the waiting room with other people, I'll call you back, I was hearing both sides of the conversation. What were they talking about? Who knows, Kumar (the name they called when it was his turn) was speaking a language I am unfamiliar with, but like I said , he was doing it on his speaker phone for several minutes. My question is, would you consider this rude or rude to others in the room?

Def rude and annoying. I always step out of the room to take calls. But, more importantly, were you tucked or untucked?? And would you consider Kumar an anti-dentite???

It's rude.

Even worse when you re in a restaurant and somebody on speaker is blaring across the room. Was having breakfast one morning and a guy who was probably a construction foreman, was getting a call from his crew , every five minutes. Really annoying.

Its rude to you, but not rude to the other guy because you could not understand what he was saying. It was likely less rude to you than it could have been if you understood what he was saying, because he could have been talking about your wife.

Perhaps I overstated it there, but you know what I mean.

Unquestionably rude. 95 percent of people suck ass.

Rude. I definitely would have responded with farts.

you should have just put your phone on speaker and started to play loud music.

I find it useful to enter the conversation because it seems obvious I've been extended the offer. I wouldn't let the language get in the way.

I find it useful to enter the conversation because it seems obvious I've been extended the offer. I wouldn't let the language get in the way.

Ha. Agree this is rude in any language other than and maybe including sign.

I was on a train last week and same thing. Take the call quietly and explain you can't talk and will get back to them or don't take it at all. Effing lady was shouting into the phone.

Rude not just to you but also to the person he is speaking with who does not know their conversation is being blasted across a room.

LdN

Rude - people are more and more clueless every day and they really don't give a sh$t about anyone but themselves.

Corollary to this issue.....rude or not rude.....was on the treadmill at the gym, and guy next to me had his ipad on the treadmill and was listening/watching a video while working out, and did not have his head phones on - it was just the speaker. It was some video on excel pivot tables, which is unimportant, but he should have headphones on.

Thoughts?

I work with a guy who starts singing "Happy Birthday" whenever someone on a plane next to him starts talking on a cell phone. To do it on a speaker is ridiculous.

Corollary to this issue.....rude or not rude.....was on the treadmill at the gym, and guy next to me had his ipad on the treadmill and was listening/watching a video while working out, and did not have his head phones on - it was just the speaker. It was some video on excel pivot tables, which is unimportant, but he should have headphones on.

Thoughts?
at first that's what I thought was going on, that this guy was watching a video, and I am wondering why he wasnt using his headphones! Your guy? real rude, although if they were talking about pivot tables, I am surprised he could stay awake!

Using speakerphone for a call, music, game or anything else while in public is 100% rude behavior. A good rule of thumb is to always use headphones in public, no matter what you are listening too. I've run across a number of people that like to broadcast their music for all to hear. I have seen this at ski resorts with people wearing backpacks with built in speakers, and on local hiking and biking local trails. This completely ruins one of the nice aspects of these recreations which is getting out into nature and away from the noise, hustle and bustle of everyday life. I hear kids on planes blaring their games on their iPads for the entire plane to hear, while the parents sit there without a care in the world. I have no ill will for people that prefer to listen to their music in public, but doing so in a manner that forces everyone else to hear it is ridiculously rude.

Even not using the speaker can be rude at times. I've heard people in the office talking on the phone while sitting on the toilet, in a large bathroom with numerous stalls. Some people have not a care in the world for others, and only think of themselves.

I would have pretended to understand what they were saying and shocked by it.

You should have just FARTED as loud as you can.

Had this happen. I interrupted and said, "Excuse me. Can you turn it up? I can't hear what he's saying." Guy said sorry and went somewhere else.

You blew your opportunity. You could have asked him:

1. "Where is Harold?"
2. "Do you have any beef jerky?"

Was that wrong, what I just said?

Reactions: 83wuzme
It's a mobile phone. I often remind people of this, emphasizing the word MOBILE. If they don't like it I don't give a crap.

I've run across a number of people that like to broadcast their music for all to hear. I have seen this at ski resorts with people wearing backpacks with built in speakers, and on local hiking and biking local trails. This completely ruins one of the nice aspects of these recreations which is getting out into nature and away from the noise, hustle and bustle of everyday life.

Along those lines, I have noticed more and more people blaring music from their golf cart while playing golf. I like music of all kinds, but it is something that doesn't really belong on a golf course. I just don't get the appeal of it.

Along those lines, I have noticed more and more people blaring music from their golf cart while playing golf. I like music of all kinds, but it is something that doesn't really belong on a golf course. I just don't get the appeal of it.

You made it too easy for me:

"Music is a violation of our personal privacy. He's breaking the law!"

I guess not at all. Never mind. I'm surprised at your position on this.
Victor, it's a mobile phone. There's no cord . A person can move to a nearby location that doesn't intrude upon the space of others. This is about boundaries. When we only had landlines with cords attached to walls , no one would lurk next to someone while they were on the phone. It was rude.

If a person takes a call at a family meal that's bad enough. That they'd sit in their seat and yap away is unacceptable. I guess calls taken or made in a car are different since there's really nowhere to go. However, I would hope for the call to be brief and not personal.

Move. For me this applies to cordless landlines as well. It's tantamount to talking over others' conversations or disrespecting the peace and privacy of others. It's very annoying. I hope you understand my position.:)

Reactions: Victor E. Bell

I'll only do this if I'm playing alone and there's no one else around. I'd use headphones but I'd probably pull my eardrums out when I got the club stuck in the cords on the takeback.

I once saw a woman hold a conference call at an empty gate at the Phoenix airport. Problem was, there were still people sitting around that empty gate so we could just sit there and listen in on whatever business she was attempting to conduct. Total cluelessness.

And am I the only one who roots for people to drop their phones into the urinal when they're scrolling thru it while doing their business? Sometimes I almost want to hip-check people to make them drop it.

Reactions: LafayetteBear
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT