ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Roadtrip Advice

mOOse_44

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2005
We have a crew heading out to Chicago for the weekend to watch the buccos play at wrigley. First off, we are stopping and spending the night in South Bend tonight on the way out. Where are the cool bars and taverns to hit up in Notre Dame land.

Second, we have some time to kill on Saturday as it is a night game. We are staying at an Air BnB in wrigleyville. Any suggestions to keep us busy that day until game time? Thank you for any and all suggestions.

drive a little further and go to Three Floyds or 18th Street in Munster IN
or stop for lunch and beers on the way Saturday.

We have a crew heading out to Chicago for the weekend to watch the buccos play at wrigley. First off, we are stopping and spending the night in South Bend tonight on the way out. Where are the cool bars and taverns to hit up in Notre Dame land.

Second, we have some time to kill on Saturday as it is a night game. We are staying at an Air BnB in wrigleyville. Any suggestions to keep us busy that day until game time? Thank you for any and all suggestions.
If you like museums, the Museum of Science and Industry (they have a U-boat you can tour) and the Field Museum are pretty great. I would not try to do both in a day, however.

we went on the boats and took an architectural tour on the Chicago river and out into the lake! Great tour, runs on time, they sell beer, yes I would do it again. Check it out..
https://wendellaboats.com/Boat-Tours/Chicago-River-Architecture-Tour

Last edited:

Some places right off campus on Eddy Street. Not sure what you're looking for. It's pretty quiet this time of year there. You can go to Legends on campus as well.

I go over to ND every year to play their golf course (The Warren Golf Course at ND). I am not an ND fan but it is a really really good course, worth the trip.

Anyway, have always been disappointed trying to find nice restaurants and bars. Downtown South Bend has been going down hill for years. Good Luck, if you find anything let me know!

Re: Chicago, I'll second The Museum of Science and Industry and / or the Chicago river tours. Stay away from Navy Pier, disappointing and way too touristy.

U-505chicago.jpg
File:U-505chicago.jpg

Well worth a visit....and you want Lou Malnati's for pizza.

https://www.loumalnatis.com/chicago-river-north

FYP--and it is very cool. A buddy of mine's father served on one of these.

Reactions: 91Joe95
750x422

Also., there's a Stuka there. Only two left in the world intact (I've seen wrecks of a couple more).

When in South Bend you should hit up Rocco's Restaurant about 1/2 mile south of the campus (relatives of mine own it). Big college/alumni hangout.

Also, there is a memorial to the 7 fallen South Bend fire fighters down at Seitz Park right on the St. Joe's River. There you will find the name of my maternal grandfather Anthony Miller who died in the line January 1954.

Then there's always the Studebaker museum as well.

Thanks for all the great suggestions boys. It was pretty quiet in Notre Dame land, but we managed to find some trouble at O'Rourkes and Brothers.

The boat tour in Chicago was a big hit. Everyone really enjoyed it, and our tour guide was a hoot. He REALLY likes his job!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT