ADVERTISEMENT

OT: "Road House" remake

AgSurfer

Aug 9, 2013
FYI - anyone who has Amazon Prime will want to check out the remake of Road House. Jake Gyllenhaal plays the same role as Patrick Swayze in the original version. But the big surprise is Conor McGregor who plays the bad guy. It was his first role in a movie and he’s a natural as an actor. Lots of good fight scenes and badass action. Definitely not what I would call a chick flick!

FYI - anyone who want to check out the remake of Road House. Jake Gyllenhaal plays the same role as Patrick Swayze in the original version. But the big surprise is Conor McGregor who plays the bad guy. It was his first role in a movie and he’s a natural as an actor. Lots of good fight scenes and badass action. Definitely not what I would call a chick flick!

I haven't seen it yet. Too bad @WildTurk didn't take the advice of the sage cooler:

I saw it. Not as good as the original, but entertaining. I thought Connor was horrible. They had him just way over the top. Something isn't right with that guy. I saw an interview with him and Jake and he looked awful, like he was on drugs. Jake was excellent, but he's a hell of an actor.

Last edited:
I watched and enjoyed it. I did see an interview where Jake said before every take Jake would remind Connor to not really hit him!

Reactions: Sullivan
I saw it. Not as good as the original, but entertaining. I thought Connor was horrible. They had him just way over the top. Something isn't right with that guy. I saw an interview with him and Jake and he looked awful, like he was on drugs. Jake was excellent, but he's a hell of an actor.
It was fine to watch for something to do but nowhere near the original in fun. Just another example of more laziness by Hollywood.

Reactions: 7Springs
McGregor is so crazy even many Irishmen were openly supporting Khabib. 😂

If you haven't been around the Irish, he's a bit of an exception. Many native Irish are actually pretty calm, phlegmatic people. When sober, that is....

The original is 80s/90s cheese at its best. Anything Swayze is perfect cheese
They better not remake Point Break
"Two, Utah! Get me two."

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I just felt like Connor was playing himself the whole movie. I fought for Cage Warriors back in the day and it was when Connor was coming up through that organization. We fought on the same card in Amman, Jordan and he was super intense and a bit scary even back then but he wasn’t insane like he is now. $ and steroids didn’t help him even out at all. Imagine that

If you haven't been around the Irish, he's a bit of an exception. Many native Irish are actually pretty calm, phlegmatic people. When sober, that is....
I'm actually Irish. My kin come from Derry Ireland. Lol

Watch this interview, and look at the twitching and eye blinking McGregor does. Something is definitely off with him.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
So, you're an Irish nationalist like me. My kin just came from too far north.
Likewise with me. I’m not sure what part of Ireland my family comes from but my mom’s side of the family is named Carroll. When I was in Ireland, I met some people named Carroll. They told me we were definitely related although we might have to go way back on the family tree to ID the common ancestor. Based on what they told me, I could go around telling people that Pete Carroll is my cousin. 😁

Love the original. The “re-imagining” (not remake) is terrible… mostly due to McGregor’s cartoonish performance. Gyllenhall is good but the Hulk twist is lame.

Reactions: ccdiver
Watch this interview, and look at the twitching and eye blinking McGregor does. Something is definitely off with him.

lol they were shooting for “realism,” meanwhile the story begins with Jake’s gut impaled with a six inch blade, which he sutures with duct tape and a Burger King napkin and never to be heard from again 🤣

The original is 80s/90s cheese at its best. Anything Swayze is perfect cheese
They better not remake Point Break
"Two, Utah! Get me two."
Let’s not forget the best Swayze RH line…said with the stoic clenched jaw….

“Pain don’t hurt.”

Reactions: hlstone
FYI - anyone who has Amazon Prime will want to check out the remake of Road House. Jake Gyllenhaal plays the same role as Patrick Swayze in the original version. But the big surprise is Conor McGregor who plays the bad guy. It was his first role in a movie and he’s a natural as an actor. Lots of good fight scenes and badass action. Definitely not what I would call a chick flick!
We’re going to see a lot more of Connor McGregor in the future because he was electric. The opening and closing scenes said it all. Jake of course was A1. All that said, I never saw the original because I was indisposed that decade.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT