ADVERTISEMENT

OT: RIP Idiot Tommie Woodward

Stating the obvious, people can do really stupid things. I remember about 4 years ago 3 people were swept over Vernal Falls at Yosemite after a woman climbed over a well posted railing near the Falls to take a photo and slipped on the rocks into the water. A companion tried to save her and was swept away, and then a 3rd person tried to save the other 2 and all were swept over the falls to their deaths. They climbed over the railing shown below just to the right of the photo.
vernal-cusp-2.jpg

I know it's mean, but this is classic Darwin Award..

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/04/us/texas-alligator-attack/index.html
This is the Texas I remember so well.
My favorite part:

"The "No Swimming Alligators" sign was posted this week after a 10-foot alligator was spotted in the bayou waters.

"Please do not go swimming, there's a bigger alligator out here. Just please stay out of the water," witness and marina employee Michelle Wright said she told Woodward.

She said the next thing she heard was the woman screaming, "An alligator's got him." Wright said she used a flashlight in the darkness to scan the water.

In an emotional interview with KFDM, Wright said, "I saw his body floating face down. And then he's out there for a couple of seconds and then he's dragged back down. And then he comes back up still face down and then he gets pulled down again. And then he just disappears."

Reactions: step.eng69
I originally posted a jocular reply but then thought back to your post on the Holocaust hero where you mentioned that we all ask ourselves whether or not we'd be brave if the occasion required. Had any of us been at at Sandy Hook Elementary School on that day, we each would have raced to the sound of gunshots, just as the staff at SHES did. Would any of us have refrained from jumping in the water after our friends in the situation you've mentioned? Most of us would have jumped in after them, I'm guessing. Life doesn't train you for things like this.

But, no, just to make things clear, I would not have gone in after the guy among the alligators.

This is a direct reply to Fairgambit.

Reactions: fairgambit
I originally posted a jocular reply but then thought back to your post on the Holocaust hero where you mentioned that we all ask ourselves whether or not we'd be brave if the occasion required. Had any of us been at at Sandy Hook Elementary School on that day, we each would have raced to the sound of gunshots, just as the staff at SHES did. Would any of us have refrained from jumping in the water after our friends in the situation you've mentioned? Most of us would have jumped in after them, I'm guessing. Life doesn't train you for things like this.

But, no, just to make things clear, I would not have gone in after the guy among the alligators.

Yeah there is a pretty big difference between this clown and those innocent little kids. I sure as hell hope that if I were not going to die that day myself, I would have run to sounds of the gun at Sandy Hook. Mostly this is because I think it would be pretty hard to go on living knowing you did nothing.

But there is no uncertainty here--when the guys says "F the alligators," I think, ok, friend-o, but I think it just may be "F You."

You are likely right Jim. We see a friend in trouble and we just react. Still, this situation was different than trying to save a friend struggling in a river, or running into a burning building to try to get someone out. If you jumped into the water that close to those falls, you had to know you were going to die. It would have been a courageous act, but one with no chance of success. That said, I agree with your point. At the moment of decision we would not see the danger, only the friend in trouble.

STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES? May God have mercy on his soul. Alligator already ate the stupid part.

IF LIFE is our most precious gift.................let's not joke when someone else's life ends.........

Making a dumb decision does not lesson that gift...........

I know it's mean, but this is classic Darwin Award..

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/04/us/texas-alligator-attack/index.html
"Although there have been numerous fatal alligator attacks in Florida, the Orange County attack may be the first of its kind in Texas." Was he trying to get into the Texas Hall of Fame? And then there is the American Tourist who was fatally mauled by a lion after she rolled her car window down to get a better picture. Darwin strikes again, purifying the gene pool.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT