ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Remote surgery

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
I just thought this was interesting. Living in CLE, we'd see a 747 parked at the airport and noted that someone from a middle eastern royal family was in town to get heart surgery at the Cleveland Clinic. This has happened less and less. I sat with a surgeon on a flight from Newark to CLE who told me more and more surgery was being done robotically.

Here is a video of a surgeon practicing on a banana. the level of detail is amazing.

Reactions: FHSPSU67
Robotic surgery is becoming more and more preferred. I'm a bit involved in this space through work, so I do have a good bit of knowledge on the subject. Older surgeons are more hestitant to adapt, but younger surgeons are on board. This makes sense as the younger generation of surgeons grew up in the advanced video game era. You can see the parallel. As a patient, would you prefer a scar 8mm in length or 10-15cm? The biggest obstacle at this point is hospitals investing in the expense for the robot. Google Intuitive Da Vinci Robot and watch a video of two and you will understand the complexity, accuracy, and reasoning for a 2 million dollar price tag.

Reactions: Obliviax
ZC7gRUjGPcJM2VGRPASnBi.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: vops and Obliviax
"So, what do you do for a living?"

"I am a heart surgeon. But I work from home. "
In the old days (five years ago) a surgeon was flown to Dubai (or whatever) to doa surgery and would be out for five to seven days. Today, that surgeon can perform multiple surgeries a day anywhere in the world.

My wife just had her gall bladder out and it was done robotically. Four small incisions. She was in moderate discomfort for a couple of days but started feeling pretty good after that.

Reactions: Obliviax
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT