ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Questions related to applying for position with existing company

Ranger Dan

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2003
York PA
Existing employees use the same portal to apply for jobs that external candidates use. There are some standard questions/options that I'm not sure how best to answer.

The position is in another location, and there is a question about whether I am willing to relocate. This position involves up to 50% travel and there would otherwise be tons of conference calls, so I was hoping to talk them into remaining where I'm at and traveling to this new office whenever required (in addition to the 50% travel). Should I indicate "no" to relocation, but explain that I'll be there as much as needed, or indicate "yes" but specify my strong desire to not move, but will be there when needed? Also, since I'm not 100% ready to relocate, should I just not apply for a position where they may insist on relocation?

Also, There is an option to add a cover letter. Personally, I don't ever see cover letters for candidates that I interview, but maybe the recruiter chooses not to pass them along. I'm thinking that there isn't a need for a cover letter, since I'm an existing employee. Then again, a cover letter would allow me to have the conversation about working remote vs relocation. Should I do a thorough cover letter, a mini cover letter, or none at all?

There is an obvious, understandable reason why you are not being automatically promoted within your own company.

Your insistence in naively responding to intra-company job postings only underscores what your firm's executive management has already "figured out".

Last edited:
My company assigns questions into two categories.

They usually have 5-15 questions that are absolute requirements. All must be answered to meet the requirement or the candidate is not considered.
They usually have 3-10 questions that are preferred.

I can usually look at the posting (or actual wording on the application) and put most, if not all into the correct category.

There is an obvious, understandable reason why you are not being automatically promoted within your own company.

Your insistence in responding to intra-company job postings only underscores what your firm's executive management has already "figured out".

A frequent poster, who has some tie to psu, asking a very reasonable question and that's your response? I can sniff out assholes from a miles away. I'd much rather take the guy who is trying to advance.

A frequent poster, who has some tie to psu, asking a very reasonable question and that's your response? I can sniff out assholes from a miles away. I'd much rather take the guy who is trying to advance.
Oh Snowflake,

You obviously aren't familiar with the whiny Original Poster and his ongoing intra-company job search "drama".

It's evident that RangerDan has already become labeled by his firm's HR department as "needy beyond internal promotability"

I'm just the bearer of reality.

Last edited:
Oh Snowflake,

You obviously aren't familiar with the whiny Original Poster and his orgoing intra-company job search "drama".

It's evident that RangerDan has already become labeled by his firm's HR department as "needy beyond internal promotability"

I'm just the bearer of reality.

I have to agree.

Your insistence in naively responding to intra-company job postings only underscores what your firm's executive management has already "figured out".

So says the fry cook.

I didn't see any snarky responses. It must be someone who I have on ignore and can't see the post... Haters gonna hate!

Reactions: massimoManca II
My company assigns questions into two categories.

They usually have 5-15 questions that are absolute requirements. All must be answered to meet the requirement or the candidate is not considered.
They usually have 3-10 questions that are preferred.

I can usually look at the posting (or actual wording on the application) and put most, if not all into the correct category.

I'm not asking about "those" questions... my company does these, but I haven't gotten that far yet. these are front page type things.

I would apply and state that you are willing to relocate. Then discuss your desire to not relocate but to travel there when needed.
At least this way you will get a chance to discuss it with them. If you check no to relocation that may not even consider you for the position.

15 years ago I had a high potential candidate come in and ask that his drive time to work - it was going to be a long commute - count towards his working hours. He was #1 candidate, and would have gotten job without that request. He ended up getting a position with an even longer commute (with Ford), and is now one of my customers (parts of the auto/supplier industry is very close-knit).

Now, his request would not be any issue at all - we would allow working at home,flexible hours, etc, as long as it didn't interfere with required face to face meetings..

If it was me I would tell HR or hiring manager you are interested in position, and propose your living/commuting/flex location plan upfront - they can either work with you or not.

Don't overthink it. This is just the initial screening. Just fill it out as best you can. You can ask question and negotiate at later stages if they want you for the job. Saying you are "willing to relocate" is just boilerplate so they can throw out applicants who aren't willing. You're not required to take the job if it really does require relocation. At the first interview you can make it clear that you intention is to be able to do the job from your current location -- you basically want some flexibility as your condition for taking the job. If they can't offer that flexibility, then you don't have to waste any more time on it.

If you would not relocate to work at the new office then don't apply.

If you would relocate but prefer not to, then feel free to apply and discuss this possibility during the interview. However, if offered the job, you shouldn't decline due to relocation.

Your company doesn't want to waste time or pass over others for a candidate that has a stipulation that is different than the job posted. The more aggressive you are in moving up under your terms rather than the company's terms will gain you a reputation that is unfavorable for advancement. Even may disqualify you from consideration in future attempts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT