ADVERTISEMENT

OT: PSU fraternity system on the ropes. Down to 36 chapters from 54 not long ago. Houses being suspended and shut down by the University.

I agree.

Which of the following PSU Greek organizations do you consider racist?

Alpha Kappa Alpha
Alpha Phi Alpha
Delta Theta Sigma
Kappa Alpha Psi
Omega Psi Phi
Zeta Phi Beta.
I didn’t say any of them were racist. Where did you read that? I said IF any organizations racist, whether they be Greek, Iranian, Turkish, white supremacists, KKK, bad boys, Nazis, etc., they should be banished. Don’t you agree? Don’t put words in my mouth.

Last edited:
I didn’t say any of them were racist. Where did you read that? I said IF any organizations racist, whether they be Greek, Iranian, Turkish, white supremacists, KKK, bad boys, Nazis, etc., they should be banished. Don’t put words in my mouth.
White supremacists? You toss phrases like that around like glitter (probably). Maybe you can define that more clearly, because I'm sure you have called me the same term in the past.

Banished from what? The school? The commonwealth? The country? Your mind?

I didn’t say any of them were racist. Where did you read that? I said IF any organizations racist, whether they be Greek, Iranian, Turkish, white supremacists, KKK, bad boys, Nazis, etc., they should be banished. Don’t you agree? Don’t put words in my mouth.
Asking you a straightforward question, which you conveniently didn't answer, in no way equates to putting words into your mouth.

White supremacists? You toss phrases like that around like glitter (probably). Maybe you can define that more clearly, because I'm sure you have called me the same term in the past.

Banished from what? The school? The commonwealth? The country? Your mind?
[/QUOTE
Asking you a straightforward question, which you conveniently didn't answer, in no way equates to putting words into your mouth.
test board - drop it

A Delta Sigma Phi here.
The university has some control over fraternities and sororities. Kids living in the new apartment complexes have no connection with the university. Parties are free from university control. The complexes now have pools, exercise rooms, outdoor barbecue areas with fireplaces, etc. The inability to compete with the apartment complexes is another factor in the decreased appeal of fraternities.
The “Pink Elephant” is on the national historic register. I don’t know what that does to the real estate value.

Pretty sure I know who Soupy is...MtNittany obviously not...
Probably just missed you. You know some of my favorite PSU tailgate little sisters though for sure. Kim and Lauren.

I was responsible for getting Bradford (my little bro) up early (when he was a pledge) and making him and the others dig the sand trap after that beach party. I stand by my decision that Chi Phi was not ready for some neon hatted volleyball court.

Last edited:
you would know of Mt Nittany’s acts if not Mt Nittany himself. The sand trap in the backyard is a perfect example of his handiwork.

you would know of Mt Nittany’s acts if not Mt Nittany himself. The sand trap in the backyard is a perfect example of his handiwork.
Still getting kudos after all these years. Me and Slash are still not recognized by the Golf Course Architects of America. Like the rrhof, I think it's political.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
Probably just missed you. You know some of my favorite PSU tailgate little sisters though for sure. Kim and Lauren.

I was responsible for getting Bradford (my little bro) up early (when he was a pledge) and making him and the others dig the sand trap after that beach party. I stand by my decision that Chi Phi was not ready for some neon hatted volleyball court.
oh yeah...Kim and Lauren I know well. Bradford was rush chairman when I got my bid. I bet I still have my pledge book somewhere and will now be able to put it all together!

Reactions: PSU Soupy

I'm a Chi Phi brother from a different mother.

Thanks for not mentioning that Homecoming float Soup. DeeGees got over it, so...

I swear Shoup (not soup) has photos and he's just holding them because they are so detrimental to the brotherhood.

After some reflection, I actually think that there is a real need for quality fraternities. I believe that true fraternal life has much to offer, but they must remove some of the nonsense and immaturity. Moreso, they need leadership both from within the actives and from the alumni. It must transcend simply a place for parties. A few still may be showing some of that tradition of brotherhood and fraternal life. ATO has done an amazing job of working and collecting for THON. No small feat by any means. But they also need the help of the university and the IFC if they are to continue and prosper. One of the problems they face is the maintenance of aging facilities - that is very expensive. They need to pay for good cooks and I suggest a return to housemothers or housefathers to oversee the conduct of brothers and safeguard female guests. Rooms cannot be apartments. And, rooms/bedding must be maintained - money. I would really hate to see PSU without fraternities and sororities. They can lend a lot.

I was Lambda Chi in the early 80's and for not one minute do I regret my time. When I transferred into main campus I was stuck in East Halls where it was a noise fest every night. Darn near impossible to study. I joined right after the pledging was phased out (sorta) and moved into the house after the winter term (back when we had the 3 10 week terms). The big difference was how much better studying I did mainly because social functions were planned (and quite fun...especially the jammies) and everyone seemed to be respectful in between. Not like that in the dorms. To this day my brothers are my closest friends and we still tailgate at games plus we have a charity golf deal every July where many of us come back with wives/GF's...help clean around the house...tell great stories over BBQ...and enjoy our long friendships. I've told friends with kids going to college that they should look into Greek life...mainly that after college its hard to return to your dorm floor but you can return to your house. When I have seen and heard with recent brothers is the lack of sit down dinners like we had Mon-Thurs. Those were great times to talk about stuff going on. I hold my years in the house dear to my heart.

I was Lambda Chi in the early 80's and for not one minute do I regret my time. When I transferred into main campus I was stuck in East Halls where it was a noise fest every night. Darn near impossible to study. I joined right after the pledging was phased out (sorta) and moved into the house after the winter term (back when we had the 3 10 week terms). The big difference was how much better studying I did mainly because social functions were planned (and quite fun...especially the jammies) and everyone seemed to be respectful in between. Not like that in the dorms. To this day my brothers are my closest friends and we still tailgate at games plus we have a charity golf deal every July where many of us come back with wives/GF's...help clean around the house...tell great stories over BBQ...and enjoy our long friendships. I've told friends with kids going to college that they should look into Greek life...mainly that after college its hard to return to your dorm floor but you can return to your house. When I have seen and heard with recent brothers is the lack of sit down dinners like we had Mon-Thurs. Those were great times to talk about stuff going on. I hold my years in the house dear to my heart.
Yep! Closed minds don't understand this. I never had a brother growing up. At my advanced age, I have 60 or so that I'll never forget (even the ones I'd like to). Can't wait to tailgate and meet up w/ some of them again.

During the after-game dinner at Homecoming, our house always had a house meeting with the returning alums and actives, which usually was nothing more than a bitch fest about how shitty the alums felt the house looked.....not so much in my time, but definitely later on when the actives were letting the place turn to shit. At one of these meetings when I was an alum, I said to the actives that they would understand our point of view better when they are alums, and emphasized what you pointed out in your post: you will always have a place to come back to.

You say the choices are are adapt or reject. There is another - to shape change and the future by active participation
Which would seem to run in direct contrast to your earlier statement that you have not been back to visit your fraternity chapter in ten years. ??

Sweet! Lots of fun during those years. I hope to see everyone at a tailgate this year.
Would love to see everyone at the tailgate.

Would actually just like to tailgate somewhere next year.

Even tailgating at tOSU would be fun.

Reactions: Googsdad
I did not know that we had lost so many. I know the university long had their eyes on Phi Gam and Sigma Nu, because they wanted the on-campus property. The same goes for Beta. I was in ATO and I think we are still OK. That may be because we have won the Greek portion of Thon every year for the past 15 or so years bringing in millions. I would not doubt that the off-campus will also get harassed until they call it quits. My daughter went to UP campus and I know that there was/is an equal amount of crap going on in the apartments - maybe worse, I think it is all about $$$$$$$. I think it is also fear of being sued for students being hurt at parties or because of pledging nonsense. Sadly, fraternities have become less than glorious rooming houses.

Fellow ATO myself, 91-95

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT