ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Played hooky with the boys today, went to The Simeone Car Museum not far from Philly Int'l Airport. Omg place is one of Philly's ..............

Mr. Potter

Dec 27, 2004
best kept secrets. World Class Collection of Sports Cars never even knew about it until recently. If you get a chance check it out. Coolest thing was we were the only people in the museum and the man who created the collection happened to be there. Staff was gracious to answer every question we could pepper them with. Not a huge car guy, but going to watch Ford vs Ferrari tonight because the Shelby Cobra they have was the one that Carol Shelby and Ken Miles discussed building in 90 days. Absolutely Stunning cars.

The whole ride home the boys debated "if they could only have one, which car would it be.." We all were in agreement it was the Cobra.

Shalom

I bought a used car from the Philly McLaren in West Chester four years ago. They had a $6m car in the showroom but with kids around, wouldn't take the tarp off of it. I guess high school kids go there on Saturdays. My care was, by far, the least expensive car. Most of the used cars were around $100k or more. The new ones were north of $250,000. It was a fun day!

Reactions: Mr. Potter
I bought a used car from the Philly McLaren in West Chester four years ago. They had a $6m car in the showroom but with kids around, wouldn't take the tarp off of it. I guess high school kids go there on Saturdays. My care was, by far, the least expensive car. Most of the used cars were around $100k or more. The new ones were north of $250,000. It was a fun day!

The owner of my company is a car guy. Always has some new toy parked his spot. He has purchased several cars from this place.

That would be a good compliment to the Ferrari museums Mrs. KG and I visited in Italy in 2019. Mrs. KG's dad was a mechanic and she used to help him work on cars as a kid, so she really enjoyed it.

best kept secrets. World Class Collection of Sports Cars never even knew about it until recently. If you get a chance check it out. Coolest thing was we were the only people in the museum and the man who created the collection happened to be there. Staff was gracious to answer every question we could pepper them with. Not a huge car guy, but going to watch Ford vs Ferrari tonight because the Shelby Cobra they have was the one that Carol Shelby and Ken Miles discussed building in 90 days. Absolutely Stunning cars.

The whole ride home the boys debated "if they could only have one, which car would it be.." We all were in agreement it was the Cobra.

Shalom

Indeed you probably saw this car...

cb8002d9e45ae44d022b70e14e978c0a.jpg

Love this museum. And you can't believe where it's located until you actually see it. Not exactly the ritzy side of town!

That would be a good compliment to the Ferrari museums Mrs. KG and I visited in Italy in 2019. Mrs. KG's dad was a mechanic and she used to help him work on cars as a kid, so she really enjoyed it.

In my town there is a semi-organized Ferrari get together at the town square every Saturday. Some beauties; up to a dozen and a half or more on nice days. My neighbor has one from the 80s; can't remember the model - it's red, I know that much ;). Of course, there really should be a Porsche rally - I see a lot more of those than anything else.

Oh, and I saw one of these at the grocery store and had to look it up. Nice.

2816_main_f.jpg

Reactions: Ranger Dan
This is a hidden gem if any of you end up in Detroit area (note this place is not in the D, but ~30 minutes outside the city)

Reactions: Mr. Potter
In my town there is a semi-organized Ferrari get together at the town square every Saturday. Some beauties; up to a dozen and a half or more on nice days. My neighbor has one from the 80s; can't remember the model - it's red, I know that much ;). Of course, there really should be a Porsche rally - I see a lot more of those than anything else.

Oh, and I saw one of these at the grocery store and had to look it up. Nice.

2816_main_f.jpg
At the Autoworld complex in Wolfsburg, adjacent to the VW plant, there's a part of the campus that has pavilions for each of their brands. Bentley is one of those.

This is the Shelby we saw:

[/QUOTE]

Should have stated that is my uncle standing next to/driving the Shelby Cobra at Sebring and the same car you saw. Our family has been invited to be there when they fire the engine. He raced for Carroll for years and was there for the start of the Ford vs. Ferrari battle. My sig pic below is him and Ken Miles after winning in a Shelby Cobra. He abruptly retired shortly after his co driver Dave McDonald was killed.

Neither my wife nor I like car racing, but loved the Ford vs Ferrari move. We watch it every time it’s on cable. The movie discusses building a race car in 90 days, but the big reveal is the GT40, not a Shelby Cobra.

If you’re ever in Scottsdale, check out Penske’s museum. It includes cars and trophies from his racing stable. Very impressive. And FREE.

Reactions: ClarkstonMark
Naples, Fla has a Ferrari Club which has a show each year in Feb. I happened to be there a few years ago when it was taking place. About 80 Ferraris parked on the downtown streets. Of course about 75 of them were red. They also had so other high end sports cars in another area. Most of the owners were not very friendly but I did get to talk to one. As it turned out, he had 3 Ferraris there. He was reluctant to talk price the old,"If you have to ask, you can't afford it," but he did admit that one he had there was a somewhat recent purchase. I don't know much about Fearraris but he said that he paid a bit north of $2M. I guess it was something special about the car. I can't relate to that kind of wealth. Very cool to see though.

The interesting thing when we went to the Enzo Ferrari museum in Modena in 2019 was the parking lot. Not Ferraris but Maseratis. Felt like a dealer's showroom.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT