ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Photos from Woodstock, 1969

the thing that gets me, in these pics, as well as the movie we've all seen is this, it was August, in all the pics, you see very few, if any, kids in shorts! Nobody wore shorts! I am sure in August, it was warm enough, you see guys/girls without shirts, or naked, but you don't see many in shorts. Just something I noticed.

img1660-120725.jpg

Reactions: 91Joe95
the thing that gets me, in these pics, as well as the movie we've all seen is this, it was August, in all the pics, you see very few, if any, kids in shorts! Nobody wore shorts! I am sure in August, it was warm enough, you see guys/girls without shirts, or naked, but you don't see many in shorts. Just something I noticed.

img1660-120725.jpg
That's right. We didn't wear shorts much, called Bermuda shorts back then. We did wear cutoff jeans but cut higher than the hemmed ones they've been selling for many years now (I wouldn't be caught dead in them -- haha).

The thing I'm noticing is that there aren't any fat people. Today you see girls wearing next to nothing but a lot of them have rolls hanging over their waistbands.
Some very attractive women there as well. Most of them are in their late 60's today. Another thing that strikes me in those photos is the idealism of the youth of that time. Very few of their ideas have been realized though, IMHO.

The thing I'm noticing is that there aren't any fat people. Today you see girls wearing next to nothing but a lot of them have rolls hanging over their waistbands.
Kids are out of shape these days because they're coddled messes. Hell, half of them don't even know how to throw a ball. In the 60's kids played outdoors a lot and played sports. They probably ate better too. More home cooked meals and less fast food.

Reactions: nits74 and N&B4PSU

Such a crazy time:
  • The very unpopular Vietnam war, TET offensive had just ended
  • Mandatory Military Service; the Draft
  • Cheap synthetic drugs
  • Easy access to birth control pills, creating "free sex"
  • Above providing a path for women to plan births and paving the way to equality
  • Worldwide media; TV, radio, telephone
  • Advent of digital electronics; amplification, distortion, reproduction
Just a perfect storm

Reactions: nits74

Interesting observation courtneybrownsjockstrap.

That was before the disastrous low fat diet recommendations came out from the government in 1977, that were not based in science.

Obesity and overweight percentages were much lower, before George McGovern's Senate committee issued guidelines in 1977, that were not based in science. They got it completely backward. They even had research that told them they were wrong, but the government marched on, disregarding their own study results.

The young author was a vegan, who had no background in medicine or research. Believe he was the labor reporter for the Providence Journal.

They told people to eat 6-11 servings per day of breads, pastas, cereals, rice, potatoes, etc. That was and is a total disaster for the general population.

Now we know that the rates skyrocketed for obesity, heart disease, diabetes, strokes and cancers.

Hopefully many people are getting the updated information. But people have to overcome 40 years of false government and media agendas, that were never based in science.

Some very attractive women there as well. Most of them are in their late 60's today. Another thing that strikes me in those photos is the idealism of the youth of that time. Very few of their ideas have been realized though, IMHO.
Nice shot of one of the nominees for Ranger Dan's upcoming poll, Grace Slick with Sally Mann.

That was before the disastrous low fat diet recommendations came out from the government in 1977, that were not based in science.

Obesity and overweight percentages were much lower, before George McGovern's Senate committee issued guidelines in 1977, that were not based in science. They got it completely backward. They even had research that told them they were wrong, but the government marched on, disregarding their own study results.

The young author was a vegan, who had no background in medicine or research. Believe he was the labor reporter for the Providence Journal.

They told people to eat 6-11 servings per day of breads, pastas, cereals, rice, potatoes, etc. That was and is a total disaster for the general population.

Now we know that the rates skyrocketed for obesity, heart disease, diabetes, strokes and cancers.

Hopefully many people are getting the updated information. But people have to overcome 40 years of false government and media agendas, that were never based in science.

Climate change wasn't so bad, in 69. If they did Woodstock today, it'd be a bloody 112 degree day. They'd be wearing shorts, then.

well, it was warm but it rained like a mother. If you watch any of the footage, you can hear announcements for people to get away from the towers (to not get struck by lightening). The place was totally overwhelmed and they had food, water, sanitation and sleeping problems.

The weather was 71~ 86, for the most part. But the wet cloths made most people feel colder.

Climate change wasn't so bad, in 69. If they did Woodstock today, it'd be a bloody 112 degree day. They'd be wearing shorts, then.

Nice made up nonsense hysteria, as usual. The all time record at Woodstock is 101.

But, so-called "global warming" impact comes primarily from increases in nighttime temperatures, not daytime temps. That's the primary contributor to the "average" natural rise of only about 0.8 degrees or so, since the 1800s saw the end of hundreds of years of natural cold, during the Little Ice Age.

You missed me in the pictures. Yes, I was dressed and it was chilly due to heavy rain. No food from late Friday till Sunday afternoon took its toll. Driving from H-burg to the location we kept hearing these traffic reports on WABC about the NY thruway and heard it many times before we realized this was our destination. I still have the NY Post from Sunday (5 cents).There will never be another 'Stock. Watch out for the brown acid.

Reactions: step.eng69 and tgar

Ya think! I was 20+ at the time; it was 47 years ago. That would me 67+ today. There is not enough time to enumerate the ideas from that period that have been realized.

Reactions: step.eng69
Ya think! I was 20+ at the time; it was 47 years ago. That would me 67+ today. There is not enough time to enumerate the ideas from that period that have been realized.

Interesting Post:
  • the protests really did shut down the Vietnam War
  • "The Pill" resonates through today in terms of women's rights, abortion and many other women's issues.
  • Of course the rock music reigned through the early 2000's before giving away to pop and hip-hop. Of course, the impression rock had moving forward is undeniable.
  • The stars of Woodstock will live forever. Richie Havens, Arlo Guthrie, Joan Baez, Ravi Shankar, Santana, Canned Heat, Grateful Dead, CCR, Janice Joplin, Sly and the Family Stone, The Who, Jefferson Airplane, Joe Cocker, Johnny Winter, Blood Sweat and Tears, CSN&Y, Jimi Hendrix..unreal.
  • Drugs, MJ, has become mainstream; legal in many states and about to become legal in more.

Interesting Post:
  • the protests really did shut down the Vietnam War
  • "The Pill" resonates through today in terms of women's rights, abortion and many other women's issues.
  • Of course the rock music reigned through the early 2000's before giving away to pop and hip-hop. Of course, the impression rock had moving forward is undeniable.
  • The stars of Woodstock will live forever. Richie Havens, Arlo Guthrie, Joan Baez, Ravi Shankar, Santana, Canned Heat, Grateful Dead, CCR, Janice Joplin, Sly and the Family Stone, The Who, Jefferson Airplane, Joe Cocker, Johnny Winter, Blood Sweat and Tears, CSN&Y, Jimi Hendrix..unreal.
  • Drugs, MJ, has become mainstream; legal in many states and about to become legal in more.

Would have liked to have attended, BUT there was choice: studies vs South East Asia. I chose studies.

Reactions: step.eng69
I have a friend that attended and he told me it was the most uncomfortable and scary three days he ever spent. He loved the music, though.

Last edited:
I guess this was before wheat was hybridized about a hundred times; yield per acre you know. Wallets got fat and people too. You there, TJ, for the science of it?

The_Rockefeller_Foundation_created__094A02E9447A2.jpg

"Because of his achievements to prevent hunger, famine and misery around the world, it is said that Dr. Borlaug has "saved more lives than any other person who has ever lived."

Great man -

1970 Nobel Prize Winner

Dr Norman Borlaug
sparked what today is known as
the "Green Revolution."​

Note: He didn't say for heathy, non-starving people to eat 6-11 servings per day.

;)

The_Rockefeller_Foundation_created__094A02E9447A2.jpg

"Because of his achievements to prevent hunger, famine and misery around the world, it is said that Dr. Borlaug has "saved more lives than any other person who has ever lived."

Great man -

1970 Nobel Prize Winner

Dr Norman Borlaug
sparked what today is known as
the "Green Revolution."​

Note: He didn't say for heathy, non-starving people to eat 6-11 servings per day.

;)
About hybridized wheat, you were saying?

About hybridized wheat, you were saying?

To repeat...

=====

Claiming 6-11 servings per day, took ignorant activists in government and media, who made proclamations against the known science and who viciously attacked rational individuals who called out their false claims.
[Much like the folly we still see today from those same sorts of misguided activist, government and media groups]

:eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: cigarowl
many of the people and many in the pictures never got close to the actual stage and music. The famous picture included here (oh and none of these are rare shots) of the couple with the muddy qulit on them, never got close to the music. I have seen multiple interviews with them (pretty much every year on Woodstock anniversary they get interviewed) and they were far away from the stage and said they would hear a whiff of sound every now and then, but there was this big party going on where they were, so they had a good time anyhow

Last edited:
Yup - lack of high fructose corn syrup and more general activity.

You also don't see pumped up dudes - more wiry or skinny. No creatine, roids, lifting just to lift, etc

I drove there from my brother's house in Northern NJ a few years ago. The whole thing had fascinated me around that time after watching a great 40th anniversary documentary on it. Great drive - beautiful area even today. You can see at an instant looking up the grassy bowl from the road just behind where the stage was what a perfect spot it was for a concert.

Very cool museum up over the top of the hill. I walked all over the perimeter and up the slope where the masses were - very cool. Reading some of the entries in the museum's group journal was pretty interesting as well. One person wrote that they got to about 4 miles of White Lake/Bethel and turned around due to the traffic and craziness - any they regretted that decision every day since.

Would have been fun to have been there. Something you'd always remember, well maybe ....

someone mentioned that the heat would have been a problem today. hmmm.

in 2014, the woodsy kids would have been freezing their butts off at night (with lows in the mid 40s). last year was a couple degrees over the average (and about 3 degrees over the temps in 69.. although last year was sunny while in 69 they were getting hammered by rain and wind in advance of hurricane camille which was about to make landfall down south).

in 2013, the high never cracked 75 and the lows dipped into the low 40s. you'd go back to 2011 before you'd get temps that meet the average for the bethel location (where woodstock was held).

Reactions: T J

actually, the "climate change" in 69 was a growing fear we were entering an ice age (cover of time in the early 70s). in fact, those settled scientists were calling on govts to burn more fossil fuels to keep us all from freezing to death.

some of those same "scientists" are screeching today that we're going to get cooked alive.

so, just how many times does one get to claim the science is settled" lmao. guess it's just a case of last man standing.. or is that musical chairs? best i can tell, so long as someone is giving folks lots of money, they'll find a way to make it all work out just fine.

Reactions: T J
actually, the "climate change" in 69 was a growing fear we were entering an ice age (cover of time in the early 70s). in fact, those settled scientists were calling on govts to burn more fossil fuels to keep us all from freezing to death.

some of those same "scientists" are screeching today that we're going to get cooked alive.

so, just how many times does one get to claim the science is settled" lmao. guess it's just a case of last man standing.. or is that musical chairs? best i can tell, so long as someone is giving folks lots of money, they'll find a way to make it all work out just fine.

We did enter an ice age-it was called disco.

Well, it's 50 years later and the "peace and love" generation has not delivered "peace and love." That's obvious.

Reactions: nits74
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT