ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Peyton Manning ESPY awards opening monologue

SPOILER!

he said the women's gymnastic team was so dominant, KD wanted to play for them next year. KD was not amused.

I like Peyton but something about glass houses made that joke not that funny.
His brother did more or less the same thing with regards to the draft.
I don't like hypocrites and to me thats what he was with that joke.
And if full disclosure I really like KD. I think he's a good guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: TenerHallTerror
I like Peyton but something about glass houses made that joke not that funny. Seeing as how he pretty much cut and ran from Indy to go to a possible, and eventual title winner, in Denver and his brother did the same thing with regards to the draft.

If I remember correctly Indianapolis released Manning, because they had already decided they were going to draft Andrew Luck with the first pick in the draft. By releasing Manning, they saved a lot of money on roster bonuses and such.

I don't recall Manning "cutting and running"

If I remember correctly Indianapolis released Manning, because they had already decided they were going to draft Andrew Luck with the first pick in the draft. By releasing Manning, they saved a lot of money on roster bonuses and such.

I don't recall Manning "cutting and running"

the Colts cut Manning. you're right, no comparison

You're right. I had that wrong.

your criticism is Eli is on, but again goes to the heart of the ideal of the free market we hold dear in this country . . . unless you're an athlete essentially "drafted" to work for a company you may not like.

If the end arbiter of success is accomplishment, I think Eli made the best choice for himself

Reactions: BBrown
I suspect that the targets of those jokes were tipped off ahead of time. Several of the jokes had plants (the one guy partying with a bottle of champaign and a hot chick, the duck). So I suspect KD's reaction was canned.

But that was clearly the best joke of the day.

Gotta hand it to Payton, he did a really nice job.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-19358-1389818927-4.gif

I like Peyton but something about glass houses made that joke not that funny. Seeing as how he pretty much cut and ran from Indy to go to a possible, and eventual title winner, in Denver and his brother did the same thing with regards to the draft.

What? He cut and ran from Indy? What kind of revisionist history is that?

I see someone else already corrected this. What Indy did, by trying to get him to retire, is one of the lowest points of sports history ever.

LdN

Reactions: 91Joe95
your criticism is Eli is on, but again goes to the heart of the ideal of the free market we hold dear in this country . . . unless you're an athlete essentially "drafted" to work for a company you may not like.

If the end arbiter of success is accomplishment, I think Eli made the best choice for himself

I guess my problem with the "joke" is that its not just KD, all of them, (sports people) do it and I don't blame them.
Like I said I like Peyton and he is a natural in front of the camera. I just didn't think the joke was funny but thats ok.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
What? He cut and ran from Indy? What kind of revisionist history is that?

I see someone else already corrected this. What Indy did, by trying to get him to retire, is one of the lowest points of sports history ever.

LdN

No It wasn't revisionist history I was wrong. I am going to go back and change that part.
The part about Eli will remain.

Reactions: LionDeNittany
I guess my problem with the "joke" is that its not just KD, all of them, (sports people) do it and I don't blame them.
Like I said I like Peyton and he is a natural in front of the camera. I just didn't think the joke was funny but thats ok.

similar jokes were made about LeBron and several NYY over time. KD just took it to a higher level. The joke is funny because it is true (as all funny jokes are seated in reality). It was just a different twist to the same joke LeBron heard for several years.

similar jokes were made about LeBron and several NYY over time. KD just took it to a higher level. The joke is funny because it is true (as all funny jokes are seated in reality). It was just a different twist to the same joke LeBron heard for several years.

I think you said it 100x better than I did, not to mention getting my facts all wrong ;), but its an old joke.
Watching the replay though I think KD may have been a tad melodramatic.
Also in full disclosure I did not watch the ESPY's... for a number of reasons.

Last edited:

well it also speaks to the days when teams drafted superstars, then built championships around them . . .

Reactions: BBrown
Missed the show - I just hope they found a way to appropriately honor Kaitlyn Jenner with another award.

I like Peyton but something about glass houses made that joke not that funny.
His brother did more or less the same thing with regards to the draft.
Peyton is a hypocrite because of something his brother did?:confused:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT