ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Old pickup truck recommendations....

I have a 2003 Toyota Tacoma, V6 4WD extended cab and I can't praise it enough. It has 140 something thousand miles and has given me zero maintenance problems. I use it the same way you want to use yours, drive it very little these days but every once in a while I want to haul something, a piece of furniture, take tree branches and brush to the dump etc. and it is perfect. It's also great if there is a big snowstorm and the snow is too deep for a regular car.

Midrange blue book on it is something like $3500 maybe a little more, don't know. I haven't priced trucks recently but if you are willing to spend up to $15000 you could get something a little newer and be very happy with it.

What I'm trying to say is look into a Toyota Tacoma. I love mine.
I have a 96 Toyota Tacoma I bought new in Nov 95. It is a 4 cylinder, est cab, 2 wheel drive has 322k miles, has a little rust but still runs great. I will get a Tacoma again when this one dies. They are still good with higher miles and have a pretty good rating.

Reactions: Mile High Lion
I need a "gig" in the new post-pandemic and had been toying with the idea of purchasing used pick-ups here in Texas, cleaning/repair and selling up North right before the pandemic struck. Can deliver a much better product at comparable or lower price because we have a much larger inventory of used pick-ups here (every cowboy has at least one) that are usually RUST-FREE and if high mileage it's usually mostly highway travel which is much less wear and tear on the drivetrain. Average cost to ship a vehicle from Houston to Pittsburgh is $992; I'd drive it up for half that price and make a small profit thereby - also would include a live inspection of your chosen vehicle via Skype found by conducting web search of trucks available in the North Houston region (***closer to the coast might exhibit some salt corrosion, but not nearly as bad as Northern vehicles).
sdd
I think that is a fantastic idea fiji. Southern trucks should not have the rust issue and road miles are gentler on the vehicle. I don't know the logistics of licensing it on this end but what a great idea, go for it, I may become a customer. I've toyed with the idea of purchasing a used Ford Ranger to haul small items that we can't accomplish with the autos but the cost was always prohibitive. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSUfiji
sdd
I think that is a fantastic idea fiji. Southern trucks should not have the rust issue and road miles are gentler on the vehicle. I don't know the logistics of licensing it on this end but what a great idea, go for it, I may become a customer. I've toyed with the idea of purchasing a used Ford Ranger to haul small items that we can't accomplish with the autos but the cost was always prohibitive. Good luck.

Additionally, my suburban area of Northwest Houston tends to be more wealthy so many of the pick-up trucks seem to be owned by "white collar cowboys" and don't receive the daily abuse that they might otherwise receive. Also, it's about a 50/50 ratio of 4X4 to rear-wheel only.

Here's a sample of a "newer" high-mileage 2011 Toyota Tundra 4X4 that currently on sale for only $8,995! (as Cal Worthington used to say, "You can't beat that!)
https://www.gmotorstx.com/details/u...plink&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=cars.com

At this moment I am pretty flexible about the methodology of the process as the concept is still in the formative stage.

There are several way to deal with the purchasing and legal documentation. Simplest would be for the buyer to conduct a local Internet search all desired type vehicles in say a 25 mile range of 77429 zip code, pick 3 best choices and I'd provide a Live video inspection via Skype to narrow choice to best one. Then the buyer would purchase from the dealer who would be responsible for paperwork and could provide financing if desired, or purchase from private owner and I would process necessary paperwork on the Texas side, and buyer would need to take care of legal paperwork in their particular state upon delivery. The buyer could have the option of arranging for a shipper, flying to Houston and driving car home like a little road trip vacation. Or I'd drive the car to their destination cheaper than any shipping company would charge. With these scenarios, I would be asking say a $25 fee for each Skype video inspection, and try to make around $150 profit for driving vehicle up North.

Second possible method would for me to team up with a local used car dealer and the buyer could choose from the dealer's inventory or describe the ideal vehicle and we could hunt for one as close as possible at the dealer auctions (not public ones) and I'd provide Live Skype video of the auction.

In addition to the above methods, I am also considering purchasing vehicles at auction personally which I would then clean an repair as necessary before offering for sale. Of course I would be looking to make the largest profit on this type of transaction as I would be assuming a lot of risk with investing my money upfront to purchase and repair the vehicle.

Finally, maybe others are looking for another "gig" and see the advantage of selling RUST-FREE vehicles in their area - retail or wholesale? If so, I would get a Texas wholesalers license and buy cars here locally and ship to wherever, which would be a lot less tedious for me than selling retail.

Reactions: hlstone
Additionally, my suburban area of Northwest Houston tends to be more wealthy so many of the pick-up trucks seem to be owned by "white collar cowboys" and don't receive the daily abuse that they might otherwise receive. Also, it's about a 50/50 ratio of 4X4 to rear-wheel only.

Here's a sample of a "newer" high-mileage 2011 Toyota Tundra 4X4 that currently on sale for only $8,995! (as Cal Worthington used to say, "You can't beat that!)
https://www.gmotorstx.com/details/u...plink&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=cars.com

At this moment I am pretty flexible about the methodology of the process as the concept is still in the formative stage.

There are several way to deal with the purchasing and legal documentation. Simplest would be for the buyer to conduct a local Internet search all desired type vehicles in say a 25 mile range of 77429 zip code, pick 3 best choices and I'd provide a Live video inspection via Skype to narrow choice to best one. Then the buyer would purchase from the dealer who would be responsible for paperwork and could provide financing if desired, or purchase from private owner and I would process necessary paperwork on the Texas side, and buyer would need to take care of legal paperwork in their particular state upon delivery. The buyer could have the option of arranging for a shipper, flying to Houston and driving car home like a little road trip vacation. Or I'd drive the car to their destination cheaper than any shipping company would charge. With these scenarios, I would be asking say a $25 fee for each Skype video inspection, and try to make around $150 profit for driving vehicle up North.

Second possible method would for me to team up with a local used car dealer and the buyer could choose from the dealer's inventory or describe the ideal vehicle and we could hunt for one as close as possible at the dealer auctions (not public ones) and I'd provide Live Skype video of the auction.

In addition to the above methods, I am also considering purchasing vehicles at auction personally which I would then clean an repair as necessary before offering for sale. Of course I would be looking to make the largest profit on this type of transaction as I would be assuming a lot of risk with investing my money upfront to purchase and repair the vehicle.

Finally, maybe others are looking for another "gig" and see the advantage of selling RUST-FREE vehicles in their area - retail or wholesale? If so, I would get a Texas wholesalers license and buy cars here locally and ship to wherever, which would be a lot less tedious for me than selling retail.
You want to drive trucks 20 hrs then fly home and only make $150 profit? That’s a lot of time for $150. Even for a side gig - you’ll make more as a Walmart greeter or at McDonald’s

and what happens if the car breaks down 10 hrs from Houston and 10 hours from the destination? Make sure you’re covered in whatever contract you put together.

Reactions: PSUfiji
The challenge with Texas is high water
Most of the flood vehicles get parted out and/or shipped out-of-country. But some folks do sell flood vehicles properly disclosed at great discount... and some unscrupulous folks attempt to sell them at full priced without disclosure. THAT is the primary reason I would offer the Live video Skype inspection - I know how to detect flood vehicles. ;-)

You want to drive trucks 20 hrs then fly home and only make $150 profit? That’s a lot of time for $150. Even for a side gig - you’ll make more as a Walmart greeter or at McDonald’s

and what happens if the car breaks down 10 hrs from Houston and 10 hours from the destination? Make sure you’re covered in whatever contract you put together.

Very good points, and why I hesitate to pursue the endeavor. I was contemplating on just servicing the Pittsburgh area and combing it with visiting friends in my old hometown and stay with my old best friend. But he past away a few weeks ago so I am not as keen on this idea as I was. Maybe some variation. I know wholesalers are making a killing doing it by the trailer loads. Thanks for your input!

Toying with the idea of getting an old pick up for mostly utilitarian purposes...hauling the occasional large item around, getting landscaping supplies, hauling the bikes to a trail somewhere. Might as well get 4WD to drive in the occasional snow storm.

Would like to spend no more than 15K. Looking online that means old and very high miles. Any pickup aficionados have any advice?
Yo, CF: if it wont do this, you're wasting your money. Dragged this sucker out this amafter dropping it last evening. Once I work it up, the top half is waiting! Standing dead red oak.

24OCMsu

Last edited:
Reactions: CF LION
What is your definition of old? I bought a brand new 2005 F150 5.4 Triton and sent it to the scrap yard 2 years ago with 268,000 miles. All mine. I had to weld the frame a few years ago, then the timing chain wore a hole through the valve cover and it wasn't worth the fix. Other than that all I did was typical maintenance.
I just bought a 2005 f250 quad cab with a plow that works and no body rust for under 13k. Truck was owned by fire department and stored inside. 46k miles and they are actual as I have full history. Interior is beat as all older trucks seem to be. You can find them but it isn't easy with most new truck prices of 75k and up. For some reason i found that Connecticut and NJ seem to have best deals for such trucks. Of course rust is something to look for, especially frame rust.

When my kids were learning to drive I bought a 1991 Chevy S-10 for $100. It had been sitting in a neighborhood in Wilm DE that was becoming a war zone. Broken window glass and 2 bullet marks on the door were badges of honor. It only had 50k miles...all from original owner who passed away and whose daughter worked w my wife.

Paid about $700 to get new tires, a bumper and everything else up to speed. This coincided with a time when our Township disallowed burning yard waste- so I did have a utilitarian need for the bed to haul branches to the dump.

A srategic plus was that I put my kids as primary drivers on that vehicle at lower insurance rates. They were allowed to drive any of our cars- but that pick up immediately paid dividends.

In a relatively wealthy part of SEPA where 16 year olds routinely drive nicer cars than their teachers, my kids drove "Charlie" with pride and made him cool. I ended up selling him to a former student for $1,300 and still see him around from time to time.

I now have a 94 Wrangler that I use with a pull trailer for yard waste, hillbilly wood grabs after the PECO guys cut logs to size on the side of the road etc.

Driving an old beater provides a joy that no Tesla ever will!

Not to completely hijack the tenor of this thread but hearing of local towns sounds funny as we just returned from 20 years in Ohio. We relocated to southern Chester County so NJ, DE, MD and PA names all come into play. An observation that only impact me most likely. PS: I have heard Toyota used trucks provide a great value and long life, from Sonny Kilmer (a youtube legend)

Not to completely hijack the tenor of this thread but hearing of local towns sounds funny as we just returned from 20 years in Ohio. We relocated to southern Chester County so NJ, DE, MD and PA names all come into play. An observation that only impact me most likely. PS: I have heard Toyota used trucks provide a great value and long life, from Sonny Kilmer (a youtube legend)
Welcome! My parents were New Yorkers- North Jersey and Staten Island. Dad worked for a company that had us placed in VA, OH, Central PA before he finally came to Wilmington in 1973 where he stayed in Management for the rest of his career.

He found our home near the PA/DE l8ne because he was staying in a long term hotel rental at the old Longwood Inn while transitioning positions/locations. Our "local" perspective can be slanted by going roughly 30 miles in any direction. Nj is reachable via the Del Memorial Bridge. A number of guys I know commute to the Salem nuke facility.

Delaware and Southern Chesco are the same. I don't even think when crossing the state line- hint- the gas stations and grocery stores jack up prices closer to the line. Drive 5 more minutes and you'll save $.

Cecil County, MD is home to some du Pont facilities and the headwaters of the Chesapeake. Great nature and crabcakes- and a totally different mindset/culture- Baltimore facing population instead of Philly. My wife doesn't blink whenever we are in MD and I stop for a 30 pack of Natty Boh. There it is cheap, 23 miles up the road it is considered a "craft beer."

I moved away after college and worked in NYC for 15 years. Came back to raise my family. My old man travelled most of the country in his job- and he often told me that our geography, and accessibilty to Ocean, Bay, Mountains, and NY to Washington- while still living in an agrarian region- were unmatched.

Based on my own travels I agree. Traditionally we have had 4 seasons, but lately it has been 3. Last year I did not use my snowshovel even once. The humidity is awful- and there is no way to polish that turd. The agricultural mix of corn, hay and mushrooms can provide some odors (or malodors depending on your location). Those of us who have been around for awhile are used to it.

We are now empty nesters. I've lived in Southern Chesco 35 years in 2 stints and will be buried here- my name is already on the stone. Recently my bride and I researched moving to Lancaster City, Lewes DE, and Hickory, NC. Decided to stay. The others spots are great but more 1 or 2 dimensional. From here you can do whatever you wish. For example, we grew up NY Giants ticketholders and just bombed up/down the Turnpike.

Last tip-get the Family Pass to Longwood Gardens for 5. You will save money after a few guests. Then just ENJOY the Gardens as frequently as possible On weekdays. Truly a global destination for many- right in your back yard. Same goes for Winterthur.

Again- Welcome!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT