simons96

Feb 3, 2013
Plano, TX
Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

beer_166.jpg

Reactions: step.eng69
Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

beer_166.jpg
Thanks Mr. Simons, the beer looks interesting. Although I can't remember ever having a fruit flavored beer, I'll give it a run.

copied a review:
The Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is a 5.2% ABV fruit-flavored ale. The first thing I noticed about the beer after opening it was the aroma! Pouring the Cherry Wheat into my glass, the cherry aroma became even more apparent. Even though the cherry smell was really strong, it smelled to me, very natural and not as synthetic smelling as the aforementioned strawberry beers did. It says right on the bottle that its a “wheat ale brewed with real cherries and natural flavors added.”

As you can see in the picture, the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat poured into my glass creating a white foamy head typical of wheat beers. The Sam Adams beer itself was an amberish color that didn’t look like anything out of the ordinary. It might have a very slight reddish tint, but maybe that’s just me knowing its a cherry flavored beer?

On to the taste! The taste of this beer was initially a little surprising to me because the cherry smell seemed so strong – and then the cherry taste was not quite as bold. Cherry is DEFINITELY pronounced in the flavor, just not as much as it is in the ‘nose’. I thought this beer would be like drinking cherry juice – but it wasn’t.

The beer was relatively light bodied, and very drinkable in the sense that it was smooth and slick. Just a little hop toward the finish, but otherwise I mostly tasted cherry (obviously) and some malt flavors. The Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat left an OK mouthfeel and wasn’t really that bitter and it provided a lingering cherryish aftertaste that wasn’t bad.

My overall impression of this particular Sam Adams beer is mixed. I certainly enjoyed it more than either of the two Strawberry flavored beers I just had, but I’m still not a fan of fruit flavored beers. Ain’t gonna happen – not today anyway!

That all being said, if you ARE a fan of fruit-flavored beers, than I think you will like the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. Its a quality beer, as are most of the Sam Adams beers, but this simply boils down to personal preference. It doesn’t taste like a cherry wine cooler, but for a beer it is on the sweet and fruity side (kind of like Neil). Did I say that?

Reactions: simons96
I did not drink much at PSU, partly because most of my friends were underage after I turned 21 and partly because my last term at PSU was actually in Cologne. So *at* PSU, it would have been Molson Golden Ale. But if you count the Universty of Cologne as an adjunct of the PSU campus, then....
muehlen-koelsch-koelschglas.jpg

Thanks Mr. Simons, the beer looks interesting. Although I can't remember ever having a fruit flavored beer, I'll give it a run.

copied a review:
The Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is a 5.2% ABV fruit-flavored ale. The first thing I noticed about the beer after opening it was the aroma! Pouring the Cherry Wheat into my glass, the cherry aroma became even more apparent. Even though the cherry smell was really strong, it smelled to me, very natural and not as synthetic smelling as the aforementioned strawberry beers did. It says right on the bottle that its a “wheat ale brewed with real cherries and natural flavors added.”

As you can see in the picture, the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat poured into my glass creating a white foamy head typical of wheat beers. The Sam Adams beer itself was an amberish color that didn’t look like anything out of the ordinary. It might have a very slight reddish tint, but maybe that’s just me knowing its a cherry flavored beer?

On to the taste! The taste of this beer was initially a little surprising to me because the cherry smell seemed so strong – and then the cherry taste was not quite as bold. Cherry is DEFINITELY pronounced in the flavor, just not as much as it is in the ‘nose’. I thought this beer would be like drinking cherry juice – but it wasn’t.

The beer was relatively light bodied, and very drinkable in the sense that it was smooth and slick. Just a little hop toward the finish, but otherwise I mostly tasted cherry (obviously) and some malt flavors. The Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat left an OK mouthfeel and wasn’t really that bitter and it provided a lingering cherryish aftertaste that wasn’t bad.

My overall impression of this particular Sam Adams beer is mixed. I certainly enjoyed it more than either of the two Strawberry flavored beers I just had, but I’m still not a fan of fruit flavored beers. Ain’t gonna happen – not today anyway!

That all being said, if you ARE a fan of fruit-flavored beers, than I think you will like the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. Its a quality beer, as are most of the Sam Adams beers, but this simply boils down to personal preference. It doesn’t taste like a cherry wine cooler, but for a beer it is on the sweet and fruity side (kind of like Neil). Did I say that?
This is one of the best balanced fruit flavored beer out there IMO. Bar by my house always has it on tap. Serves it in a frosted mug with a cherry in it. Amazing.

I did most of my drinking at the Phyrst. They had Bud and Mich on tap. We drank mainly Bud, because we couldn't afford the Mich.

When we splurged, we thought Mich Light was high quality brew.

Occasionally my friends and I would splurge for St. Pauli Girl or Pilsner Urquell (before Romania went tits up).
Also I graduated in '85 so none of these really nice "craft" brews were around then.

Um, Pilsner Urquell is from Pilsen/Plzen--in the Czech Republic....

Let me just post a pic of my Zeno's passports...but this one was one of those gateway beers for me:
Franziskaner_Weissbier_Kristallklar_54922.JPG

Honorable mentions for "DAMN, I never knew beer could taste like this...
oldpeculiar.png

541684473_77aba9983b.jpg
Rogue+Morimoto+Soba+Ale.JPG

That last one (Rogue Soba) being the only beer I ever ordered and stuck with all night at Zenos

Best Cigarettes??? I don't smoke but here are some old cigarette commercials. Funny stuff.

Camels the cigarettes most doctors recommend.

I'm sorry for saying this but I don't understand how anyone can say that a light beer is the best they ever drank. People who drink light beer don't like the taste of beer they just like to piss a lot

Reading some of these choices, I have to say "no fair"!!!

We're living in a renaissance era for craft beer in America. When I was in college, it was Yuengling or all of these other swill varieties listed in this thread. We didn't have Arrogant Bastard or even Sam Adams at our disposal. Of course as another poster mentioned, the best beer was ALWAYS the one that somebody else paid for.

Sam Adams is nothing more than rip off beer that clever marketing dunced yippies with more money than sense.

Release Valves at The Train Station. We learned how to make them and served them up at our parties. A couple of those in our female party guests and.........ah, those were the days. Today it's Manhattan's and a wide variety of craft beers and red wines.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT