ADVERTISEMENT

OT-No NIT bid but the team was better than some given slots

All conference champs who lost in their tournament got an automatic bid. Examples: Bucknell, St Francis-Brooklyn.

It's no longer simply the best 32 teams/draws, new auto-bids and criteria*

Also, consider that the NIT is owned by the NCAA. Does anyone really think that Penn State would have been considered? No way, in my opinion.

Considering the games are held in "schwab auditorium" no way

we get a game.

Once the conference champs were put in, we simply were not better than

the other teams invited. You cannot expect to get into the NIT with 4 regular season conference wins. Sure, we won two in the Big Ten Tournament, but one was against a poor Nebraska team. Beating Iowa does not make up for a season of poor conference play. We did not get in because we did not deserve to get in.

Originally posted by kgilbert78:
Money. We are not a draw.
In some ways, yes, and in some ways, no. Had Penn State made the NIT and gotten early-round games at home, crowds very likely would have been small. However, remember that Penn State sent busloads of students to MSG for the NIT semifinals and finals a few years ago.

Re: Once the conference champs were put in, we simply were not better than

Originally posted by fairgambit:
the other teams invited. You cannot expect to get into the NIT with 4 regular season conference wins. Sure, we won two in the Big Ten Tournament, but one was against a poor Nebraska team. Beating Iowa does not make up for a season of poor conference play. We did not get in because we did not deserve to get in.
I cannot argue with you.

yes the reason we are not in is because we did not win well enough in BIG conference play, also too many slots are given to teams that come from minor conferences that many have never heard of. My neighbor vaguely knew who Bucknell was, and thought they were in Mass not PA.

since both the ncaa and nit now have a large number of these teams, it takes more of a feet to get in for teams from the more legitimate conferences. could Bucknell or Lafayette beat PSU? I would bet we could beat either of those teams.
but
personally, I would prefer to go back to the days of just selecting the best 32 for ncaa and next 32 for nit. NCAA round of 64 and NIT round of 32 is filled with joke games that most people (excluding the bottom teams themselves) care about.

Could we beat Bucknell? We did!!

Gotta get two feet in the door.

Minnesota got in. Right?

I agree to a point. There is no arguing that 4 conference wins is horrible. However, Minnesota got in with what ultimately amounted to 1 more Big win, and PSU beat them twice and recently on the road. Didn't minn also get a 5 seed or something like that?

I don't think its a big deal either way. I'm glad they refused the CBI.

This post was edited on 3/16 12:12 AM by NewYC

Re: Minnesota got in. Right?

Originally posted by NewYC:
I agree to a point. There is no arguing that 4 conference wins is horrible. However, Minnesota got in with what ultimately amounted to 1 more Big win, and PSU beat them twice and recently on the road. Didn't minn also get a 5 seed or something like that?

I don't think its a big deal either way. I'm glad they refused the CBI.

This post was edited on 3/16 12:12 AM by NewYC
Minnesota did not make the NIT. The only B1G school in the NIT is Illinois, as a 3-seed.

If it were based solely on money, we would have gotten in. I really think that based on how the season ended we would have probably had decent crowds that would have only gotten bigger the longer we were in the tournament. We went 4-14 in conference during the regular season. That is why we didn't get in.

No. We don't draw well. There's a reason the entire upped deck is curtained off.

It would help to win some meaningful games.

Just sayen ......................................

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT