ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York City Restaurants

For a little perspective, there's great food everywhere. The Michelin 3* and 2* restaurants are more of an event than a meal. You go there to be able to say you went there. But the kabob or ramen shops down the street are great meals for hundreds of dollars per cover less.

If I were to plot an eating trip to NYC in normal times, it would include DiFarra's pizza in Brooklyn, Russ and Daughters on the Lower East Side, maybe Momofuku, Gaia Italian, Huerta's, Original John's Deli, Superiority Burger, and the like. I can eat very well at all of these places for the combined total of one cover at Per Se or Le Bernardin.

Plus, Thomas Keller can't be in every one of his restaurants at all times, so you're going to eat the Executive Chef's meals. And really good executive chefs tend to leave and start their own concept.

Expanding on the foodie chat a bit - one of the more disturbing/disgusting things in an otherwise thought provoking and reflective series, was the episode about 'tacos' in Netflix's 'Ugly Delicious' hosted by David Chang. For most of the episode you're learning about the history and appropriation of tacos, how Taco Bell came to be, and in the background there's the story of René Redzepi (chef/owner of Noma, often called the best restaurant in the world) and how he's setting up a Noma pop-up in Tulum, Mexico. One segment involves the Ugly Delicious personalities/Noma chefs going to Yaxunah, where they learn to make cochinita pibil and fresh tortillas with Rosalia Chay Chuc - which they use in their menu. The cost to eat this locally prepared food at Noma Mexico? $600 per person. Hell to the no. If there is any upside to the pandemic as it pertains to foodie culture and restaurants, it's hope that this kind of crap will be killed.

I'll add one of my favorite scenes in Ugly Delicious was when Aziz Anzari and Dave are looking to eat fried chicken in Tokyo. They go to a place and take a bite - Anzari quips something like, 'You better hope that whatever you do, some Japanese guy doesn't get it in his head to do it too - they will take your idea and perfect it,' (or something to that effect). Chang also literally cries after eating yakitori in a Tokyo yakiniku place. Also saw that for the 13th year in a row, Tokyo has the most Michelin star restaurants in the world (230). That's more than numbers 5-10 on the list combined. FWIW, Peter Luger's got a Michelin Star in 2020.

Wife and I like to hit the hot spots but one of my favorite meals in the city is The Little Owl in Greenwich Village. Very homey and cozy; wonderful food and great ambiance. Make a point of going there anytime we're in NYC. The meatball starter is a must, but my favorite is their pork chop with butter beans...

little-owl.jpg
I get to New York very often, but am still learning some valuable information from you and some others on the restaurant front. Hope to be able to take advantage real soon.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I'm loving this thread. As for casual eats in NYC, one of my all time faves is Curry in a Hurry at Lex and 28th since the 70's. I would never expect a restaurant with a name like that to be good, but it's super consistent, delicious, cheap food. Best chicken tikka masala I ever had. Eat there only if you like rich, thick comfort food.

Last edited:
I get to New York very often, but am still learning some valuable information from you and some others on the restaurant front. Hope to be able to take advantage real soon.
There's no end to what you can learn. I lived there for 10 years and could never keep up with all the great food options.

Reactions: Nitwit and nits74
I'm loving this thread. As for casual eats in NYC, one of my all time faves is Curry in a Hurry at Lex and 28th since the 70's. I would never expect a restaurant with a name like that to be good, but it's super consistent, delicious, cheap food. Best chicken tikka masala I ever had. Eat there only if you like rich, thick comfort food.

I‘ve been to Curry in a Hurry once and enjoyed it. That block of Lexington also has/had some really good grocery stores. Kalustyan’s, which was originally Armenian and morphed to include Indian and now is a general international grocer, and Spice Corner which is primary Indian. There was a third, mostly indian grocer right next to Curry in a Hurry but I can’t remember the name.

Sarge’s in Murray Hill is my choice for deli.

I‘ve been to Curry in a Hurry once and enjoyed it. That block of Lexington also has/had some really good grocery stores. Kalustyan’s, which was originally Armenian and morphed to include Indian and now is a general international grocer, and Spice Corner which is primary Indian. There was a third, mostly indian grocer right next to Curry in a Hurry but I can’t remember the name.

Sarge’s in Murray Hill is my choice for deli.
Yep, Sarge's is very good. About 10 years ago, a place called Mile End was opened in Brooklyn by a guy from Montreal. They serve a "smoked meat" sandwich, which is Montreal's answer to pastrami. Best deli sangwich I ever had. Then they opened a location near Bowery. It's been about 8 years since I've eaten their food. I hope it's still great.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT