ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Nasty train crash in Upper Darby

Used to ride the NHSL everyday... not sure how one can even crash on it unless the driver fell asleep or something ridiculous.

My father worked as a customer service engineer for the Budd Company's Red Lion Plant in Philly from the 1950s until he retired in the mid-70s. Budd made passenger rail cars and part of his job included traveling to the site of train wrecks to assess damages. He never talked about how horrible some of the crashes were until late in life, long after he retired. I get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach when I learn of a crash like this one in Upper Darby.

Prayers go out to the victims and those affected by this most recent crash.

Reactions: step.eng69
I worked for the B&O one summer, but had not ridden a train for many years, until about 5 yrs ago when I took the Amtrak from Greensburg to NYC.
I had not realized that trains do not (t least this one didnt) have seat belts !

42 injured, but early reports are that none are life threatening. Let's hope that is accurate.
Is Sara Ganim on the scene?

Train runs thru the Villanova campus. Back in my day, it was nicknamed the "Flying Coffin", nickname seems pretty morbid today. Hopefully none of the injuries are life threatening. Sound like it may have been a problem with the brakes, it overshot 2 stops prior to the crash. Never seemed all that safe.

Philadelphia transit accidents always have large number of victims. People walk blocks to be involved in the accident and consequent settlement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT