ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Mt Baker with 155" in the past 10 days

Baker is at 127% of normal and I'm guessing that it will go significantly higher. I'm getting tried of all the wet conditions we've had here for the last year and it looks like that will continue. Already we're almost 3" above normal rainfall for this year. I was all set to take off tomorrow to float a local river to swing some flies before it closes and it's blown out - again.

I spent the weekend in upstate New York, just north of the Catskills, and while the ground was frozen solid still, virtually no snow on the ground. Of course I expect the ski mountains still have snow but the lack of ground cover surprised me.

I'm heading to Jackson Hole in 2 weeks, really looking forward to that. They've had a pretty solid season, based on what I'm seeing for much of the southern resorts.

I'm heading to Jackson Hole in 2 weeks, really looking forward to that. They've had a pretty solid season, based on what I'm seeing for much of the southern resorts.

Yes and no... Last couple storms really helped them. Before that their totals were deceiving ok up top compared to average but base was weak and lots of grass and dirt with manly man made snow allowing you to get to the bullwheel on the bottom lift. Friend just back from Vail said big brown spots with dirt and grass before this last storm covered things up a bit

I live in Colorado where the snow is lean this year and just got back from skiing Whistler, BC and the snow was fantastic. Started raining yesterday morning as I left though.

Yes and no... Last couple storms really helped them. Before that their totals were deceiving ok up top compared to average but base was weak and lots of grass and dirt with manly man made snow allowing you to get to the bullwheel on the bottom lift. Friend just back from Vail said big brown spots with dirt and grass before this last storm covered things up a bit
Thanks for the additional context. I had been wondering why with such good reported snowfall totals they still showed many closed runs until about a week ago. They opened up the Hobacks after the big storm early last week and those are on the lower mountain so hopefully that's good news. Also it looks like there are several smaller storms this week so hopefully things are at least sustained at a minimum. I've only been to Jackson once and the conditions weren't great then so I'm really hoping it's better this time.

Reactions: bwifan
Mount Baker has received over 220 inches in the month of January alone. It's not all wet snow. Telluride would kill for that right now.

Just spend a week skiing at Big Sky (Montana) about 2 hours north of Jackson Hole and the snow was great!! The best and deepest snowpack right now is in Montana so things should be pretty good at JH given its proximity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT