ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Movies with perfect openings.

Patton. Has to be in the conversation for GOAT movie opening.
I saw "Patton" at Ft. Meade. It was my first week stationed there. My two previous posts always played the national anthem before starting the movie. The flag appeared on the screen and half the audience dutifully stood up. And here comes some guy in a uniform to stand in front of an old timey flag. WTF? Confusion as the "Call to Colors" is played. And then this old guy in uniform starts swearing. By then we had all resumed sitting. Sheepishly.

I'll double down on the Dazed and Confused opening (after watching the movie for the 50th time this AM). That opening scene is like a time machine. There is NOTHING out of place, and everyone and everything is perfect. I don't often heap praise on hollyweirdos, but Linklater got it done here. For sure.

Reactions: bytir and LionJim
I'll double down on the Dazed and Confused opening (after watching the movie for the 50th time this AM). That opening scene is like a time machine. There is NOTHING out of place, and everyone and everything is perfect. I don't often heap praise on hollyweirdos, but Linklater got it done here. For sure.
You’d be happy to know that Linklater is not a “Hollyweirdo.” He’s based in Austin. ;)

Reactions: 91Joe95

Plus it had Joey Lauren Adams :)
Yes, a striking girl.

enhanced-buzz-32165-1367521935-5.jpg

Back to the Future. Turns on every switch and cranks every nob to the max. Turns on overdrive. Stands in front of the huge speaker, hits a chord and gets blown across the room with a shelf falling on him. Lifts his head out of the clutter........"Whoa, Rock and Roll". Perfect for 1985

Reactions: PSU87 and LionJim
Raiders of the Lost Ark is the model here, I guess. Here’s my humble submission, Fat City.

I nominate the Overture to Kubrick's masterpiece:

When the film premiered, it was condemned as a glorification of sex and violence, and Kubrick (irony noted) even received death threats because of it, but it was no such thing, It was instead a meditation on what in classical philosophy is called the Free Will Theodicy: must evil exist for there to be good, and more specifically, can man be considered good without free will? This is a question that occupies much of Anthony Burgess in his novel on which the film is based. Neither Kubrick nor Burgess glorified the sex and violence, but used them as the means to explore the fundamental link between "the good" and free will. The Moog-synthesized version of Purcell's "Music for the Funeral of Queen Mary" sets an ominous dystopian mood for the opening monologue by the antihero Alex, and what is to follow. It frightened and disoriented many viewers, which was exactly the intended effect. Perhaps it worked too well for those who misunderstood the film, and thus caused the backlash.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT