ADVERTISEMENT

OT; Most Dominant Sports Teams

nits74

May 14, 2010
As I was watching Alabama routinely destroying yet another opponent the other night, I got to wondering if there have been any other sports teams so dominant for so long at any time. After thinking it over the only ones I could come up with in that class were the New York Yankees, New England Patriots, UCLA basketball and the Boston Celtics. Any others?

As I was watching Alabama routinely destroying yet another opponent the other night, I got to wondering if there have been any other sports teams so dominant for so long at any time. After thinking it over the only ones I could come up with in that class were the New York Yankees, New England Patriots, UCLA basketball and the Boston Celtics. Any others?
UConn women’s basketball

Montreal Canadiens from the 50’s to the 70’s.
Yeah, and sort of strange that they've never come close to that level since. Maybe due to competition from expansion over the years. Back then, hockey was more of a niche sport in the U.S.

Reactions: Psugo823

North Carolina women's soccer
Have won 21 of the 37 NCAA championships
Did not win during last 8 years, so won 21 of 29, at one time
Won 8 in row and 12 of 14 in 1990s and 2000s.

Miami men's tennis - won something like 113 consecutive matches. Our great women's VB team won something like 111 in row, threatening the record for most consecutive wins.

Reactions: nits74
North Carolina women's soccer
Have won 21 of the 37 NCAA championships
Did not win during last 8 years, so won 21 of 29, at one time
Won 8 in row and 12 of 14 in 1990s and 2000s.

Miami men's tennis - won something like 113 consecutive matches. Our great women's VB team won something like 111 in row, threatening the record for most consecutive wins.

I've never heard about Miami being a tennis powerhouse. They actually won 137 matches in a row, interestingly, they never won a national championship during the streak.

Yeah, and sort of strange that they've never come close to that level since. Maybe due to competition from expansion over the years. Back then, hockey was more of a niche sport in the U.S.
Niche sport with fewer teams…hell, even the Maple Leafs were consistently good.

Reactions: nits74
I am asamed to be doing this, because they are so irrelevant to me since the late 80's. But, I am shiocked that nobody has yet mentioned this dynasty:

University of Pittsburgh Football; 1889-Present

Reactions: LionJim
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT