ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Lost one of the Greatest Generation today...

CF LION

May 29, 2001
Not Hef, but my pop. Passed today at 95 after an extended illness.

WWII vet, fought in the Battle of the Bulge. Landed at Normandy D-Day +20. He was an army engineer. Mostly built bridges for our guys to get troops where they needed to be. He had no formal training as an engineer, but grew up on a farm in western PA and learned how to build damn near anything at an early age. Raised six children and got us all through college somehow even though he was self employed, never made much money and had little formal education. Three of us graduated from Penn State.

My dad loved Joe, and was fascinated by the research on farming and forestry at Penn State and was a big fan of the deer research pens. I took him to see the deer whenever he would visit. He could have attended PSU on the GI Bill after the war, but he met my mom at a dance, they fell in love and that was that.

I am what I am today because of him, whatever that is. I'm feeling a bit melancholy tonight so please forgive my rambling post.

You guys helped me through my wife's illness and death, and though this not nearly the same, it just helps me to post this.

Thanks

WWII vet, fought in the Battle of the Bulge. Landed at Normandy D-Day +20. He was an army engineer. Mostly built bridges for our guys to get troops where they needed to be. He had no formal training as an engineer, but grew up on a farm in western PA and learned how to build damn near anything at an early age. Raised six children and got us all through college somehow even though he was self employed, never made much money and had little formal education. Three of us graduated from Penn State.

My dad loved Joe, and was fascinated by the research on farming and forestry at Penn State and was a big fan of the deer research pens. I took him to see the deer whenever he would visit. He could have attended PSU on the GI Bill after the war, but he met my mom at a dance, they fell in love and that was that.

I am what I am today because of him, whatever that is. I'm feeling a bit melancholy tonight so please forgive my rambling post.

You guys helped me through my wife's illness and death, and though this not nearly the same, it just helps me to post this.

Thanks
Thoughts and prayers your way my friend...

Reactions: CF LION
I am so sorry to hear of this CF. Stay strong.

CF Lion

I have so much respect for your fathers generation. I have read several books on the " Greatest Generation" and have been to WW II weekend at Reading Regional Airport. The effort they undertook was amazing. I would have loved to meet your father. My sincerest respect to him. Joe

Reactions: psu00 and CF LION

Thanks
Thanks CF LION, I can emulate your feelings

Reactions: psu00 and CF LION
I am so sorry to hear of this CF. Stay strong.

Thanks ro. On a much lighter note, a friend who was a metal rocker back in the 80's is giving me one of his bass guitars to help me get rolling on my next career.

Sorry to hear CF, I have the utmost respect for all of the WW2 vets, my father was also in the BOTB, I lost him 8 years ago. There is a valid reason they're called the "greatest generation", tough as nails and truly heroes in my book. Sadly, their numbers are quickly dwindling. Prayers to you and your family.

Words on a message board can't express the debt we owe him CF. I'll just say that I'm very happy you had so many years to spend with him. I certainly could have used him on a few job sites when things were going sideways over the years!

Thank you for sharing. The stories of great men never get old. Your in my thoughts and prayers as you start your journey though life without him

God bless you and your family CF...and eternal thanks to your father for all that he gave to our beloved country.

And the road
The old man paved
The broken seems along the way
The rusted signs, left just for me
He was guiding me, love, his own way

Now the man of the hour is taking his final bow
As the curtain comes down
I feel that this is just goodbye for now

(Eddie Vedder)

I love this post my friend. Especially the way you began to talk about your beloved father so spontaneously. You are so fortunate to have had your father's wisdom available to you for so many years. Grieve as you might, for grief is actually a gift which allows to demonstrably show our love for those we have lost.

Words on a message board can't express the debt we owe him CF. I'll just say that I'm very happy you had so many years to spend with him. I certainly could have used him on a few job sites when things were going sideways over the years!

It's funny that you say that. He would get so ticked off whenever PennDOT would take forever to get anythng done. He would launch into his "my platoon could build a bridge in three days" rant every time....

We western Pa. folks are of good stock. My condolences on your loss; he was a wonderful man.

Thanks
My condolences. You seem like a really good dude, and no doubt a huge part of that is due to your father and your wife.

I'm glad you felt you could post about this here, and it was great to read what you wrote.

All the best, man.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nitwit and CF LION

Thanks
:(

Thanks for posting, CF. I know you've been through a lot, but it's great to see the pride and the love you had for your Father. I'm sure he was proud of you.

Had a few parallels to my own family; my Dad has been gone for 5 years, but he would have been 95 earlier this month and he too was an Engineer and World War II vet and loved PSU football and Joe Paterno. His grandson (my nephew) chose his birthday to get married which was a very nice gesture, and led to toasts and remembrances.

Tip of the hat to you. Stay strong.

Thanks

Awesome man. cherish the memories and take comfort in him being in heaven.

Thanks
The greatest generation indeed. A life well lived and one that should be celebrated.

Thanks
You've gone through some very difficult years, CF, but your posts reflect an honorable man, shaped by the values your parents instilled in you, and nurtured by your loving wife. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Here is an old engineer song from WWII:
Engineers are hardy steers,
They're never sour pickles,
Wipe their ass with ground glass,.
and laugh because it tickles

Thanks
An old combat En

Thanks

Here's an old combat engineer song from WW

Thanks

What a wonderful eulogy for your father and all of his qualities. Your loss is our loss too and a loss to our country.
The Army considers the Engineers to be a combat branch along with the Infantry, Armor, Artillery, etc. The guys who do the shooting can't go anywhere without the engineers. The enemy knows this and makes the engineers a primary target. So while they are building bridges they are also doing some of the most intense fighting that any war experiences.
There are many decorated heroes in the Army Engineers and to the Infantry, Armor and Artillery they are all heroes.

Thanks
That generation is tough to follow they were special.Your dad seems to have had a great life.God bless you and your family.

I guess my earlier posts didn't get through, but I want you to know that my prayers go out to you and thoughts of a great relationship you had with your dad.

He will live on in your own life and memories forever. Take comfort from knowing his strengths and values were passed onto you over his long lifetime. No doubt he took great pride in that.

My sympathies. CF, they don't make them like that anymore. I appreciate his service and the example he left for you. Bless you.

CF...my deepest sympathies to you and your family. I would like to make an offer to you and your family. If you have a nice photo of your pop current or from his military days etc. please feel free to drop it off at the shop and I will do my best to custom frame to the very of my ability. Thankful for your pops service. All the best.

CF...my deepest sympathies to you and your family. I would like to make an offer to you and your family. If you have a nice photo of your pop current or from his military days etc. please feel free to drop it off at the shop and I will do my best to custom frame to the very of my ability. Thankful for your pops service. All the best.

Thank you dukie. That's very generous. If someday a guy walks into your shop with an old photo of a young, strapping WWII Army engineer and asks "do you remember an offer you made on the McAndrew Board"......it will be me.

Reactions: psudukie
Your father is the bedrock on which you stand...sorry for your loss,...always amazed by the grit the greatest generation demonstrated as such very young men. Savor the memories!

Thanks

CF, sounds like a man I would have been proud to know. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Bring it in. Will be a pleasure to meet you and an honor to do this project for your family.

One short funny story...

There were a few years in the mid 1990's that my dad looked an awful lot like Joe. One football Saturday in '95 or '96 my wife, daughter and I were watching a Penn State game on TV. Joe was shown on screen pacing the sidelines and my daughter, who was 3 or 4 at the time, squealed "Grandpa!".

Sounds like your Dad led a long productive life. My Father passed in 99 and he too fought in The Battle of the Bulge with the 28th Division. We don't make men like your Dad anymore and it's a damn shame. Prayers to you and your family.

Reactions: CF LION and TheGLOV

Thanks

CF Lion, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Your dad, just like mine, was the greatest dad ever! He lives on in you!

You will hear his voice talk to you as you go on in life. What a great gift that is!

Prayers offered sir.

When my dad died, I went into his closet and pulled out one of his shirts. I pressed it close to my nose it smelled it as hard as anyone could.

It is a smell I hold onto this day.

It may sound strange but not really, I just wanted to remind myself of the essence of the greatest man ever in my life.

Go ahead and do it. You will not regret it sir. He lives on in you!!

Thanks

A great man. Please accept our sincere sympathies.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT