ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Looks like Lahaina (Maui) no longer exists

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
due to a wild fire with high winds from being on the outskirts of a hurricane combined to burn most of it to the ground. Really beautiful place and sad that it is devastated.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Thought this was a controlled burn that quickly got outta control.
I am not sure of the start of the fire but know winds from an offshore storm caused it to get out of control and spread to where it is a disaster.

Tragic. Was there on mine and Mrs. Jennings' honeymoon. Maui is easily one of the most beautiful places I'd ever seen.

Lahaina shores appears to be standing (at the very start of the video). The Banyan tree looks to be gone ( it was one of the largest in the world). Doesn’t look like Kaanapali has been touched.

I heard a report that all he boats and slips in the harbor were destroyed. This is where we would board to go diving at Molokini.

If so, it goes to show how conservative we need to be in allowing human intervention to "solve" our environmental concerns. So many cases in history of man executing a plan to "solve" these issues where it totally backfires. Many cases involve introducing non-indigenous species to eradicate problem species which leads to even worse unintended consequences.

Crazy. I was just there in April - highly doubt that Banyan Tree will survive given what I’ve seen. Fires in the Upcountry too.

I thought Lahaina was kind of a boring tourist trap and only spent about an hour there before going back to Wailea, but it still sucks. Can see why those historic buildings went up like torches, though.

Where’s the source for that? Just heard they were wildfires with really bad timing (red flag conditions). Only morons would think of doing burns in those conditions

I just saw before and after stills on Reddit of Lahaina and it looks like Tokyo after tte massive fire bomb raids - complete devastation. That banyan tree is standing but black - it’s a goner, the elementary school gone, etc.

Can’t link.

Reactions: Obliviax
Where’s the source for that? Just heard they were wildfires with really bad timing (red flag conditions). Only morons would think of doing burns in those conditions

Haven’t seen it reported anywhere, most likely bullshit.

Terrible situation. Honeymooned there a few years ago.

I have a cruise booked for Hawaii and we're supposed to be in Lahania on Dec 1. It will be interesting to see how the cruise line handles it.

From what I read, brush fires aren't uncommon in Hawaii, especially on the drier sides of mountains. They tend to be small, less than 2 sq miles and are mainly grassland fires.

This one got out of control due to a typhoon 500 miles away that delivered 60 mph winds. They use helicopters to control fires, but the winds kept them all grounded.

I have a cruise booked for Hawaii and we're supposed to be in Lahania on Dec 1. It will be interesting to see how the cruise line handles it.

From what I read, brush fires aren't uncommon in Hawaii, especially on the drier sides of mountains. They tend to be small, less than 2 sq miles and are mainly grassland fires.

This one got out of control due to a typhoon 500 miles away that delivered 60 mph winds. They use helicopters to control fires, but the winds kept them all grounded.
wife and i were just there last summer on a graduation gift cruise for our grand children who had just graduated college & hs. a beautiful place. it's an absolute shame. hope things are better for you and the locals by that time.

Reactions: brupsu and Obliviax
Wow. Jeff Bezos just gave Maui $100,000,000 for recovery.

I know people complains about billionaires but credit where it is due.
More of those people should do the same. That community needs billions. They need to build a large home base and send the illegals over there to rebuild the town.

Looking at that video it is miraculous that thousands weren't killed.
Reading about all these wildfires and often seeing the lines of charred cars, it would lead me to maybe buy a cheap dirt bike if I lived in a fire prone area. Just read about 2 guys who survived - got their family to safety, went down to the harbor to try and save some boats, and rode out past all the doomed people in cars on their dirt bikes.

Something nimble to go off road, ride the shoulder or lane split

Looks like is gonna get real in Lahaina. There are concerns that there are going to be a lot of kids' bodies found as school was canceled and kids stayed home while their parents worked. In the meantime, the second-guessing is going to get really rough. I don't know how you can fight a fire in 60 to 80 mph winds but word on the street is that people are not going to accept whatever is the final after-action report.

• Sad
Reactions: Online Persona
Looks like is gonna get real in Lahaina. There are concerns that there are going to be a lot of kids' bodies found as school was canceled and kids stayed home while their parents worked. In the meantime, the second-guessing is going to get really rough. I don't know how you can fight a fire in 60 to 80 mph winds but word on the street is that people are not going to accept whatever is the final after-action report.

That's heartbreaking if true. I won't comment on the incompetence if the alleged is true unless it comes out as factual. But if it is then that is truly heartbreaking.

I have no doubt the media will work with the politicians to suppress uncomfortable information.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT