ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Looks like Gulf area gonna get hammered again...

This one is going to be close to my home. We need it to turn east and then go north.

Hurricanes and fires have nothing to do with high temperatures and climate change.

Well, you put homes in a desert area and suppress fires for decades, and this is what would happen, climate change or not.
Definitely. Science is absolutely nonsense on this. Record heat doesn’t cause prime conditions for fires when combined with invasive bark beetles and decades of fire suppression. No effect whatsoever.
Also warm oceans don’t cause frequent intense storms, demons from outer space do.
Mask wearing is very dangerous!!!

Definitely. Science is absolutely nonsense on this. Record heat doesn’t cause prime conditions for fires when combined with invasive bark beetles and decades of fire suppression. No effect whatsoever.
Also warm oceans don’t cause frequent intense storms, demons from outer space do.
Galveston was wiped off of the map in 1905 by a hurricane. Did climate change cause that to happen? Maybe, maybe not. More likely, it just was nature acting like nature, which it has done since the beginning of time. My point is that there have been destructive hurricanes and fires since the beginning of time, whether there was global warming or cooling, and there always will be. There's nothing that humans are going to do to stop it, although states like California probably can take better measures to reduce the fire risk.

Galveston was wiped off of the map in 1905 by a hurricane. Did climate change cause that to happen? Maybe, maybe not. More likely, it just was nature acting like nature, which it has done since the beginning of time. My point is that there have been destructive hurricanes and fires since the beginning of time, whether there was global warming or cooling, and there always will be. There's nothing that humans are going to do to stop it, although states like California probably can take better measures to reduce the fire risk.
It’s the frequency of high energy hurricanes that’s changing and that’s definitely demons from outer space. I saw a very persuasive tweet from some excellent frontier physicians on this topic

EhrI3HEWAAYBMu0

Definitely fire suppression and actual clearing of much of the forests and record building of homes in western states couldn’t affect this graph whatsoever.
Thanks for posting this absolutely relevant plot. Just because there’s a “record “ number of acres burning in western states right now, your plot must tell the real story!
Thanks!!!!

Reactions: ralphster
It’s the frequency of high energy hurricanes that’s changing and that’s definitely demons from outer space. I saw a very persuasive tweet from some excellent frontier physicians on this topic
I know that that there have many tropical storms this summer. However, my recollection is that the last several years have not been particularly bad regarding the impact of tropical storms.

Based on my following of the weather, it seems as if these storms come in cycles, and the cycle now is bring these storms into the Gulf and then the Southeast. In a few years, it probably will change again, and these storms will impact the Southeast coast more.

Also, when was the last time that PA was affected as badly by a hurricane since Agnes in 1972?

I know that that there have many tropical storms this summer. However, my recollection is that the last several years have not been particularly bad regarding the impact of tropical storms.

Based on my following of the weather, it seems as if these storms come in cycles, and the cycle now is bring these storms into the Gulf and then the Southeast. In a few years, it probably will change again, and these storms will impact the Southeast coast more.

Also, when was the last time that PA was affected as badly by a hurricane since Agnes in 1972?
Thank God you are tracking the number and intensity of hurricanes and I don’t have to rely on NOAA or NWS or something
Because I actually read that the Gulf of Mexico hit record high temperatures a few times this year, but I need to see what some non experts have to say. Maybe they will straighten me out

Reactions: ralphster
Well, you put homes in a desert area and suppress fires for decades, and this is what would happen, climate change or not.

+1. From what I learned while hiking along the Pacific Coast Hwy, Joshua Tree, CA (kind of tweener between Mojave Desert and Sonoran) and the Catalina Mts. in Tucson (Sonoran Desert) is that a large part of the problem is non-native species of trees and grass taking over. Specifically in Tucson they said that Buffelgrass is a HUGE problem. Not only is it crowding out the native grasses but its sucking up the water that would normally go to them, then it provides a nice base for the fire at the foot of the Saguaro cactus and Joshua Trees.
Another issue is people moving to LA and trying to turn their desert landscape into a yard you would see back east. SMH.
All it does is provide tinder and speaking of tinder. I was shocked at the amount of Eucalyptus trees I saw along the Pacific Highway.
Think of it as a 30'+ piece of "fatwood" The bark along trunk and stem starts to peel off and then drop to the ground. Its a fire hazard waiting to happen.
RS29068_eucalyptusgrove7-1920x1280.jpg

all of that in addition to an ongoing draught and much higher temps than normal and you get the current destruction.

Thank God you are tracking the number and intensity of hurricanes and I don’t have to rely on NOAA or NWS or something
Because I actually read that the Gulf of Mexico hit record high temperatures a few times this year, but I need to see what some non experts have to say. Maybe they will straighten me out
The track of these hurricanes have been bringing them into the Gulf coast for several years now, going back to Katrina in 2005; it's not a 2020 phenomenon.

Reactions: bison13
"Including Saturday, the Phoenix area has experienced 52 total days of temperatures 110 degrees or higher — far exceeding the 2011 record of 33 days."

Move along, there's nothing to see here.

Here's something for you to learn about tropical cyclones. You can calculate this value for all these named storms in the Atlantic basin this year and post it here.

ACE this test.

Reactions: roswelllion
Here's something for you to learn about tropical cyclones. You can calculate this value for all these named storms in the Atlantic basin this year and post it here.

ACE this test.
Live in the Naples, FL area, lots of rain and the ponds in the neighborhood are filling, don't know if there is a mechanism to drain. We only evacuated once, a few years ago during Irma. Spent a couple vacation type weeks in Atlanta.

"hurricane intensity and frequency have not happened in the gulf Area in 170 years" Article from Dr Roy Spencer Phd. written the day Laura was hitting the Gulf Coast. You might also buy his kindle book saying " Reasons why hurricanes are not increasing due to Global warming.
For just $4 you too can "follow the science"

"combined with decades of fire suppression"

Caveat. We live half the year in CA [fortunately usually a little south of the major fires] and half the year [plus 1 day :) in North Carolina right on the beach on a small barrier island 1 mile wide and 7 miles long that was just ground zero for Hurricane Isaisis. All that to say I tend to follow these things pretty closely.
Props to Lionville for some great charts on fires and hurricanes.

The debate on this subject highlights the distortion the msm creates on almost every subject it seems. We are constantly told EVERY event that occurs even when they are contradictory [drought and excess rainfall,] is caused by climate change.

As lionville shows us and there are a number of studies by Dr Roy Spencer and Dr Roger Pielke that clearly demonstrate there is ZERO historical evidence these things are happening. It's hot and arguably getting hotter therefore hurricanes and fires are worse. Simply not true.

Sometimes we need a better explanation and we don't get it from the msm. [Fox IMO is also part of the msm just distorts from the other side of the spectrum]

Caveat. We live half the year in CA [fortunately usually a little south of the major fires] and half the year [plus 1 day :) in North Carolina right on the beach on a small barrier island 1 mile wide and 7 miles long that was just ground zero for Hurricane Isaisis. All that to say I tend to follow these things pretty closely.
Props to Lionville for some great charts on fires and hurricanes.

The debate on this subject highlights the distortion the msm creates on almost every subject it seems. We are constantly told EVERY event that occurs even when they are contradictory [drought and excess rainfall,] is caused by climate change.

As lionville shows us and there are a number of studies by Dr Roy Spencer and Dr Roger Pielke that clearly demonstrate there is ZERO historical evidence these things are happening. It's hot and arguably getting hotter therefore hurricanes and fires are worse. Simply not true.

Sometimes we need a better explanation and we don't get it from the msm. [Fox IMO is also part of the msm just distorts from the other side of the spectrum]

Here's one more you won't get from MSM.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...Energy_of_North_Atlantic_hurricanes,_OWID.svg

The track of these hurricanes have been bringing them into the Gulf coast for several years now, going back to Katrina in 2005; it's not a 2020 phenomenon.
Good point. Climate change didn't start till 2020. So it's just a coincidence. Oh wait... climate change doesn't exist. I meant this is all just a random thing. Hurricanes are just the same frequency now as they were 50 years ago and so is the mean temperature. In fact my grandfather never said he used to hunt deer in the snow every November without fail.

"hurricane intensity and frequency have not happened in the gulf Area in 170 years" Article from Dr Roy Spencer Phd. written the day Laura was hitting the Gulf Coast. You might also buy his kindle book saying " Reasons why hurricanes are not increasing due to Global warming.
For just $4 you too can "follow the science"
I wish I could get a PhD from a matchbook cover and follow the science like this guy!!!

You should be careful. It's the environmentalists who are against fire suppression. The homeowners, developers, and lumber interests support it. It has been the US Govt. policy for a long time. Almost all of the fires are on USG owned land, NOT STATE OWNED BTW.

I wish I could get a PhD from a matchbook cover and follow the science like this guy!!!
“PhD from a matchbook cover” Hehe

BS Univ of Michigan Atmospheric Science
MS PhD University of Wisconsin Meteorology
Lead Research Scientists Univ of Alabama
Awarded NASA Excellence in Scientific Research Award
Carry on, better call Don or Rachel to better learn about hurricanes

Last edited:
Yep the acreage of forest land hasn't changed a bit since 1917. So, that couldn't have anything to do with it!
So we don’t have acreage to burn these days. That is your position.? Is it hard for you to get through the day?

BS univ of Michigan Atmospheric Science
Lead Research Scientists Univ of Akabama
Awarded NASA Excellence in Scientific Research Awsrd
Carry on better call Don or Rachel to better learn about hurricanes
He is a total clown

So we don’t have acreage to burn these days. That is your position.? Is it hard for you to get through the day?
Of course the total acreage hasn't changed since 1920. So the amount burned each year wouldn't either. let me S-P-E-L-L it for you

You do know the fire suppression became the absolute rule of the US Forest Service when Yellowstone burned (nearly completely) during 1988?
Then, under the order of R. Reagan, the formerly science-based wild-fire burn policy was supplanted by a fire suppression policy. The public was outraged by the devastation of Yellowstone. So, something had to be done. Now we are living with the consequences. Of course the hottest, driest years the west has ever seen (at least since Europeans have conquered this continent) are now also happening.
Science is wrong and politicians (and the public) are always right!

BS univ of Michigan Atmospheric Science
Lead Research Scientists Univ of Akabama
Awarded NASA Excellence in Scientific Research Awsrd
Carry on better call Don or Rachel to better learn about hurricanes
Here is a little data on your boy Roy.
His nickname in the climate science community is "Total Clown." (Emphasis mine)

Let me know if you want a lesson in adding and subtracting. After that we can move on to integrating and averaging. One day you will understand how data is turned into conclusions.

Sometimes I wonder if people ever ponder where all the huge amounts of coal came from.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT