ADVERTISEMENT

OT: LIV Golf and PGA Merge

Jim Furyk, whose record of 58 for a round was tied by LIV's DeChambeau yesterday, was asked what he thought about it and he said "well, my counted". LOL
LMAOROFL $4+ million counts a lot and it was on a top course. PGA= stuffed shirts, country clubbers trying to make working class Joe's think that they're one of them.

Reactions: Obliviax
Pretty shocking information regarding Phil Mickelson

Rumors are he had run up a 9 figure gambling debt.

I don’t care who you are and how much you’re currently making - keep that up and you may be found down the line in a shallow grave covered in lime

Rumors are he had run up a 9 figure gambling debt.

I don’t care who you are and how much you’re currently making - keep that up and you may be found down the line in a shallow grave covered in lime
True...however, most claim that he is in the $800,000,000 net worth area. So while he lost, he also won.

I think him taking the $200,000,000 that LIV was offering at age 46. Being on the tour was never going to pay him that much money (and he still plays the majors anyway).

True...however, most claim that he is in the $800,000,000 net worth area. So while he lost, he also won.

I think him taking the $200,000,000 that LIV was offering at age 46. Being on the tour was never going to pay him that much money (and he still plays the majors anyway).
I think if he took the DJ approach - they’re paying me a shit ton more money and I only have to work half the time - no one really cares all that much. But Phil had to be his phony, cloying self and dig himself a hole.

I mean, if you have that much money, why is it such a driving force still? Then again, I’ve never been in that position and most people who are got there because of an insane drive and can’t turn it off just because they are financially set. It takes a strong man to earn “**** you” money and step back forever.

I think if he took the DJ approach - they’re paying me a shit ton more money and I only have to work half the time - no one really cares all that much. But Phil had to be his phony, cloying self and dig himself a hole.

I mean, if you have that much money, why is it such a driving force still? Then again, I’ve never been in that position and most people who are got there because of an insane drive and can’t turn it off just because they are financially set. It takes a strong man to earn “**** you” money and step back forever.

Maybe he was concerned about inflation.

The new Seniors tour.

WSJ reporting that LIV is in final negotiations with Jon Rahm to join the LIV tour for an estimated income of between $450,000,000 and $600,000,000.

I've read the PGA tour is on life support as the ongoing litigation has drained them of assets. The merger terms haven't been completed so LIV has the upper hand, by far. Without someone coming in and infusing money into the PGA Tour, it may be over as we once knew it.

WSJ reporting that LIV is in final negotiations with Jon Rahm to join the LIV tour for an estimated income of between $450,000,000 and $600,000,000.

I've read the PGA tour is on life support as the ongoing litigation has drained them of assets. The merger terms haven't been completed so LIV has the upper hand, by far. Without someone coming in and infusing money into the PGA Tour, it may be over as we once knew it.
Holy s____ !! If true, how in helll can the PGA ever compete with that? Frankly, for that kind of money I can‘t blame Rahm. That’s beyond generational wealth. I think even Rory might jump for that kind of money. LOL !!!!!

Holy s____ !! If true, how in helll can the PGA ever compete with that? Frankly, for that kind of money I can‘t blame Rahm. That’s beyond generational wealth. I think even Rory might jump for that kind of money. LOL !!!!!
yeah. they can't. it is a different model. In LIV, while they get purse money, they also get a large salary. Why wouldn't Lefty, at the end of his career, take an additional $200m? The PGA Tour doesn't have a lot of money to give away. They take the top off of income from TV and endorsements and plow that into the purse money. as long as the Saudis are willing to give it a way in order to build a worldwide tour, the PGA is screwed.

I have a problem watching LIV. The music, the shorts, and the teams look really unprofessional. I can't imagine wanting to buy team swag.

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: ncgolfer
Where is this money coming from and when and how will the LIV owners make a profit?
Saudi Public Wealth Fund contributes the $. And I'm sure they're hoping that they'll throw a bunch of money at it upfront to get enough talent, get a real TV contract, get fans, and someday be seen as a viable tour rather than a fringe endeavor.

Seems like a similar strategy that Draftkings used for several years, bleeding money until they gained what they wanted to move forward and start to become profitable.

Saudi Public Wealth Fund contributes the $. And I'm sure they're hoping that they'll throw a bunch of money at it upfront to get enough talent, get a real TV contract, get fans, and someday be seen as a viable tour rather than a fringe endeavor.

Seems like a similar strategy that Draftkings used for several years, bleeding money until they gained what they wanted to move forward and start to become profitable.
Yep. PGA has mostly been the USA in light coordination with the European League. LIV is trying to go worldwide. They feel that the middle east and asia has been locked out so they are trying to grown the game of golf worldwide. If you understand how sports franchises are used to grow assets while hiding income from tax agencies, you can see that the Saudis (et all) see professional sports as a way to launder money. That is to convert oil assets to pro-sports assets which looks far less foreboding and is harder to penalize. People like their sports!

maybe I am the only one that cares but I love sports law.

Looks like the PGA took in a $3B investment from various investors to keep them alive in their joint/competition with LIV and the Saudi money.

You know what they say: one cash infusion is nice, but two is better.​
At least, that’s what they’re likely saying around PGA Tour headquarters on Wednesday morning, the day that the Tour finalized a landmark agreement with a group of sports business titans for an investment worth up to $3 billion in golf’s largest professional tour. The news came as no surprise to most in the pro golf world, which has been warned about advancing negotiations between the Tour and the consortium of investors named the Strategic Sports Group (SSG) in recent months.​
In the simplest terms, the agreement will welcome a group of outside investors into the Tour for the first time, see billions of dollars in equity stakes flow directly into more than 200 PGA Tour players’ hands and change the shape of the Tour business as we know it. But those are just the simplest terms. The nature and complexity of the agreement are considerable, and many details remain a mystery even to the players included on Wednesday morning’s 9:30 a.m. ET conference call with Commissioner Jay Monahan and some members of the SSG.​
What exactly are we dealing with here? And what do you, the average golf fan, need to know? Let’s dig in.​

I've been hearing strong rumors that LIV has offered Rory McIlroy $600m to join LIV and Rory is strongly considering it. Of course, this would be a knockout blow to the PGA and Rory feels that the PGA stabbed him in the back when they suddenly announced a deal to merge LIV with the PGA.

I've been hearing strong rumors that LIV has offered Rory McIlroy $600m to join LIV and Rory is strongly considering it. Of course, this would be a knockout blow to the PGA and Rory feels that the PGA stabbed him in the back when they suddenly announced a deal to merge LIV with the PGA.
There are also rumors that LIV won't last the summer and is only continuing until the Saudi's are happy with what they hear from the PGA. PGA tour leadership could screw up a two car funeral, and you can tell the leaders/faces of LIV (Norman and Mickelson) are lying because their lips are moving.

There are also rumors that LIV won't last the summer and is only continuing until the Saudi's are happy with what they hear from the PGA. PGA tour leadership could screw up a two car funeral, and you can tell the leaders/faces of LIV (Norman and Mickelson) are lying because their lips are moving.
first, I like a lot of the LIV players. I think Phil was brilliant in taking the bank because he is at the end of his career. And, at the same time, the PGA hasn't been great about supporting US players and created this entire "global game". The PGA is also the ones that wouldn't recognize LIV play and once you left the tour you were out for life. The easy fix is to just make LIV another recognized tour where players can opt in or out on a yearly basis.

I can't stand the LIV product. While the golf is good, it looks very USFL-ish. The shorts, the music, the teams. It all looks like a carnival to me. But I do recognize the value of glowing global into the middle east and asia. Formula One is making a killing.

Frankly, it was just as fun watching Malnati win this weekend as it would have been watching Rahm and Brooks. I don't care what tour they play on.

first, I like a lot of the LIV players. I think Phil was brilliant in taking the bank because he is at the end of his career. And, at the same time, the PGA hasn't been great about supporting US players and created this entire "global game". The PGA is also the ones that wouldn't recognize LIV play and once you left the tour you were out for life. The easy fix is to just make LIV another recognized tour where players can opt in or out on a yearly basis.

I can't stand the LIV product. While the golf is good, it looks very USFL-ish. The shorts, the music, the teams. It all looks like a carnival to me. But I do recognize the value of glowing global into the middle east and asia. Formula One is making a killing.

Frankly, it was just as fun watching Malnati win this weekend as it would have been watching Rahm and Brooks. I don't care what tour they play on.
I think the final outcome will be more tournaments in the Middle East between the PGA and DP World Tour with a lot of encouragement for players from all the tours to participate and one or two in Asia. The playing window in the ME is small because of the climate. F1 races at night to deal with it, but that's not a great option for golf.

I agree that the LIV product is awful. The announcers spend too much time trying to sell the team aspect and David Feherty seems to have lost a lot of the energy and enthusiasm that made him so appealing in the past. The catch phrases are the same, but that's about it. The problem with Koepka and DJ is that neither really loves playing. The talent is there, and I like both, but you can tell when they're into it and when they're not.

I had a busy weekend, so I didn't watch any golf. I really enjoyed the Players Championship. They weather was too nice, and the scores showed it, but the leaderboard was stacked with most of the best young players and they put on a show.

I could not blame Rory for jumping ship now. Not for that kind of money. Especially after the PGA pulled the rug out from underneath him. That had to be humiliating. Nothing like leaving somebody twisting in the wind to pi$$ them off.

I sincerely hope the PGA can stop the bleeding. I do not like LIV golf at all. The clown car atmosphere of their tournaments just comes off sleazy and unprofessional to me. Especially the music. Moreover, I love many of the old and established tournaments on the PGA tour. They have tradition and class. None of the LIV tournaments have that. You can’t buy that with just money. Especially with Saudi money.

I think the final outcome will be more tournaments in the Middle East between the PGA and DP World Tour with a lot of encouragement for players from all the tours to participate and one or two in Asia. The playing window in the ME is small because of the climate. F1 races at night to deal with it, but that's not a great option for golf.

I agree that the LIV product is awful. The announcers spend too much time trying to sell the team aspect and David Feherty seems to have lost a lot of the energy and enthusiasm that made him so appealing in the past. The catch phrases are the same, but that's about it. The problem with Koepka and DJ is that neither really loves playing. The talent is there, and I like both, but you can tell when they're into it and when they're not.

I had a busy weekend, so I didn't watch any golf. I really enjoyed the Players Championship. They weather was too nice, and the scores showed it, but the leaderboard was stacked with most of the best young players and they put on a show.
I totally agree with you. I love Feherty but he's kind of like cheesecake. After one bite it is just too much. He's better as a commentator and not a leading voice.

I honestly don't know what is so hard here. It seems like there is plenty of room for a compromise. But i think people said way too much and now their pride won't let them back down. the whole talk of "blood money" was off the charts and foolish in today's world economy. I wish I had the hair that Brandel Chamblee has but he really screwed up and make the positions uncompromisable.

Reactions: OaktonDave
I could not blame Rory for jumping ship now. Not for that kind of money. Especially after the PGA pulled the rug out from underneath him. That had to be humiliating. Nothing like leaving somebody twisting in the wind to pi$$ them off.

I sincerely hope the PGA can stop the bleeding. I do not like LIV golf at all. The clown car atmosphere of their tournaments just comes off sleazy and unprofessional to me. Especially the music. Moreover, I love many of the old and established tournaments on the PGA tour. They have tradition and class. None of the LIV tournaments have that. You can’t buy that with just money. Especially with Saudi money.
Even the fabulously wealthy monarchy wants to make money. Where is the payback for the billions they have already paid? Why do they have tin ears to the unwatchability of their TV shows?

The PGA Tour has agreed to merge with Saudi-backed rival LIV Golf in a deal that would see the competitors squash pending litigation and move forward as a larger golf enterprise.

The two entities signed an agreement that would combine the PGA Tour and LIV Golf’s commercial businesses and rights into a new, yet-to-be-named for-profit company. The agreement includes DP World Tour, also known as the European PGA Tour.
Everything is beeing corrupted by money, big money. Just sell everything to the Saudi's.

Even the fabulously wealthy monarchy wants to make money. Where is the payback for the billions they have already paid? Why do they have tin ears to the unwatchability of their TV shows?
"Billions" is like thousands for you and me. The oil empire has a limited life. These guys are looking 20 years don't the road. It is very likely that they will ruin, for lack of better word, the PGA. Once done, the game of golf will be theirs on a worldwide stage. Billions will turn into Trillions. More importantly, "influence" will change. They are going to start building golf "meccas" worldwide to try and sustain the incredible cities they've built in the middle east and will start building on the Pacific Rim.

It is far from over but I think LIV will end up owning the majority of the PGA within a year or two. They'll maintain the PGA as a money maker but expand the world market. the four majors are three US based tournaments and a UK based one. They are going to try and change that.

The biggest draw in golf, right now, is the Ryder Cup. I can see that being expanded as well. Women't golf has been dominated by Asians, mostly South Koreans.

In hindsight, the PGA missed a huge opportunity to take their product worldwide outside of the USA and the UK. Spain, Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, Japan and China are all ripe markets that could bring billions of fans to the game. The PGA dithered and LIV stepped in.

"Billions" is like thousands for you and me. The oil empire has a limited life. These guys are looking 20 years don't the road. It is very likely that they will ruin, for lack of better word, the PGA. Once done, the game of golf will be theirs on a worldwide stage. Billions will turn into Trillions. More importantly, "influence" will change. They are going to start building golf "meccas" worldwide to try and sustain the incredible cities they've built in the middle east and will start building on the Pacific Rim.

It is far from over but I think LIV will end up owning the majority of the PGA within a year or two. They'll maintain the PGA as a money maker but expand the world market. the four majors are three US based tournaments and a UK based one. They are going to try and change that.

The biggest draw in golf, right now, is the Ryder Cup. I can see that being expanded as well. Women't golf has been dominated by Asians, mostly South Koreans.

In hindsight, the PGA missed a huge opportunity to take their product worldwide outside of the USA and the UK. Spain, Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, Japan and China are all ripe markets that could bring billions of fans to the game. The PGA dithered and LIV stepped in.
Sad. This family funded thr rise of radical Islam. Every terrorist death, the millions who died after 9/11 since then is on them. Of they own the PGA I would never watch again. The win last weekend could never be seen on LIV.

The Saudis don't care about golf at all. Long-term Liv will ruin the game. I understand some of the golfers taking lots of money, but if you care about the long term health of golf you would stay away from Liv. When golf no longer is relevant to the short-term interests of the Saudis, they will just walk away and tell everybody tough luck. There is a lot of value in the tournaments that have been around for a long time even if they haven't been majors. If Liv destroys that, then ultimately future golfers, and the game of golf, will be harmed.

The Saudis don't care about golf at all. Long-term Liv will ruin the game. I understand some of the golfers taking lots of money, but if you care about the long term health of golf you would stay away from Liv. When golf no longer is relevant to the short-term interests of the Saudis, they will just walk away and tell everybody tough luck. There is a lot of value in the tournaments that have been around for a long time even if they haven't been majors. If Liv destroys that, then ultimately future golfers, and the game of golf, will be harmed.
I have to disagree.

The Saudis have been building resorts all over the world. A massive part of resorts is golf. Their formula one strategy is working perfectly. These greatly contribute to Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, Jeddah, Qatar and Azerbaijan in 2024. Other nations are opening their arms with events in China, and Singapore this year. They've taken Formula 1 out of Europe and gone worldwide (three, now, in North America with Miami, Austin and Las Vegas).

this is what LIV wants to do. This is what the PGA failed to do. They didn't want to water down the US product by taking players away and opened up their flanks to a rival tour. I don't know if it will be successful but understand what they are trying to do.

Reactions: Marylovesthelions

Ryder Cup at the Bethpage Black, my home course so to speak. Please do not destroy it!

He could be doing for this for two different reasons. 1) the money. 2) F___ you to the PGA for making a fool out of him.

He could be doing for this for two different reasons. 1) the money. 2) F___ you to the PGA for making a fool out of him.
He's not played well, at all, this year. The Masters would have given him the Grand Slam and for the second year in a row he played very poorly. Interestingly, LIV players faired poorly as well. Bryson and Cam Smith both tied for 6th. Hatton 6, Reed 12, Neiman 22, Phil 43, Koepka 45, Rahm 45, and the rest missed the cut including Garcia, Bubba, and DJ.

Apparently, Greg Norman had to buy his own ticket. There was a shot taken that each player gets something like 17 tickets and none gave GN one so he had to go out on the open market to buy one. That raised some eyebrows both in terms of what the Masters thinks of him and, perhaps, LIV players. Once in, Norman followed McIlroy around on his round.

Chamble makes a good point that LIV has no feeder system. So young players, like Aberg, Tom Kim and Bhatia can't break in to LIV. This makes LIV a parasite league.

Back to Rory, $850m would be tough to pass up. As DJ said, "As a professional golfer, it was a simple choice. I can play half the time and make twice the money no matter the result."

He's not played well, at all, this year. The Masters would have given him the Grand Slam and for the second year in a row he played very poorly. Interestingly, LIV players faired poorly as well. Bryson and Cam Smith both tied for 6th. Hatton 6, Reed 12, Neiman 22, Phil 43, Koepka 45, Rahm 45, and the rest missed the cut including Garcia, Bubba, and DJ.

Apparently, Greg Norman had to buy his own ticket. There was a shot taken that each player gets something like 17 tickets and none gave GN one so he had to go out on the open market to buy one. That raised some eyebrows both in terms of what the Masters thinks of him and, perhaps, LIV players. Once in, Norman followed McIlroy around on his round.

Chamble makes a good point that LIV has no feeder system. So young players, like Aberg, Tom Kim and Bhatia can't break in to LIV. This makes LIV a parasite league.

Back to Rory, $850m would be tough to pass up. As DJ said, "As a professional golfer, it was a simple choice. I can play half the time and make twice the money no matter the result."

$850M is a slam dunk.
Just really depends how it is paid.

LdN

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT