ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Latest MH370 analysis.....

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/02/asia/mh370-crash-landing-report/index.html

"The really important news in this report is that the flap found in Tanzania was stowed. Therefore there was no way this airplane was being flown by anyone," he said.

"It was out of control, ran out of fuel and spiraled into the sea at high speed."

Kind of a confusing article. What's your take? Mine is that everyone was already dead, but still onboard the plane when it crashed. They don't make it clear that the pilot committed suicide. They almost insinuate he somehow bailed before the plane went out of control.

When I first transitioned to the 777, this topic came up as a sort of "systems knowledge integration" lesson. The Boeing instructor took us through steps which "could" have happened and also meshed with the available data which included the transponder being turned off at the boundary between KL and Vietnam (IGARI intersection). The aircraft turned back towards Malasia, climbed above its certified operating altitude, was manually depressurized. This would incapacitate the passengers and cabin crew. It then descended to below 10,000 feet over Malasia. It slowed to a reasonable speed, was programmed to climb at a certain point and resume a southerly course out of radar coverage. At this altitude, and speed, the pilot could exit the airplane from an over wing exit with a parachute. Once the pilot was gone, the preprogrammed airplane could accelerate, climb and head south. Eventually, as it ran out of fuel, various things happen to the electrical power sources and auto flight systems. The lesson went on to describe how the airplane would try to resolve each of these issues as the engines and backup sources lost power. Again this was purely speculation for purposes of instruction but it addressed what COULD have happened given the available data and the airplane's capabilities. Any number of other thing could also have happened.

As an addition to the previous comments, I have several questions:

1) Why would the crew turn off the transponder?
2) Why would the pilots say goodnight to KL but fail to check in with Vietnam?
3) Why would the aircraft turn around to KL and climb above its Max certified altitude?
4) Why would the aircraft then descend below 10,000 ft. and slow down over Malasia?
5) Why would the aircraft then accelerate, climb and head south over the ocean?
6) How, or by whom, was the ADS system (modern day "replacement" for radar monitoring) disabled? Without getting into too much detail, I can tell you that it is not a simple matter of flipping a switch on the flight deck.

The aircraft was only tracked in the later hours based on data packages sent to the engine manufacturer and Boeing at various intervals.

It all makes it sound to me like the Pilot(s) pulled a DB Cooper.

Once again.....Why?

Crazy stuff, but I would really like an answer.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
As an addition to the previous comments, I have several questions:

1) Why would the crew turn off the transponder?
2) Why would the pilots say goodnight to KL but fail to check in with Vietnam?
3) Why would the aircraft turn around to KL and climb above its Max certified altitude?
4) Why would the aircraft then descend below 10,000 ft. and slow down over Malasia?
5) Why would the aircraft then accelerate, climb and head south over the ocean?
6) How, or by whom, was the ADS system (modern day "replacement" for radar monitoring) disabled? Without getting into too much detail, I can tell you that it is not a simple matter of flipping a switch on the flight deck.

The aircraft was only tracked in the later hours based on data packages sent to the engine manufacturer and Boeing at various intervals.

It all makes it sound to me like the Pilot(s) pulled a DB Cooper.

Once again.....Why?

Crazy stuff, but I would really like an answer.

One would have to be a pretty accomplished sky diver to jump at night and make land. Even if that was the plan, I'd imagine the window of opportunity for a jump to be short. To accomplish all those steps to hide the plane, incapacitate all other passengers, and still make a jump would have some low odds.

Sadly, we will probably never know. It doesn't look like wreckage will be found and even if it is who knows when or if the data recorders will be useful.

Actually, what the data suggests is that the airplane descended bellow 10,000 ft, slowed bellow 230 kts directly over malasia. This is a jump that can be made (see DB Cooper). The Aircraft then climbed back to cruise altitude, accelerated and resumed a southerly course over water where there is no radar surveilence. It then continued for a number of hours, over water, before running out of gas. Malasia is a big target for a skydiver. If in fact the airplane was deprssurized, the passengers had become a non issue. once the airplane ran out of gas over really deep water, hiding it was also a non-issue. Once again, all I am left with is more questions.

Well as far as I know, my....uh.....errr....HIS body along with HIS ill-gotten booty has yet to be found, so I have to assume that HIS jump from that 727 was successful.;)

They didn't find DB but they actually did find SOME of the money.

Reactions: kgilbert78
Does anyone recall the poster on this board who was an ex-747 driver from MN? When this MAS 370 went down, he had a whole lot of insight to offer. As I recall, he had flown through that area for many years. Once again, I thought he had a whole lot to add to the discussion and am a bit disappointed that he hasn't posted. I hope all is well with him.

Reactions: step.eng69
Does anyone recall the poster on this board who was an ex-747 driver from MN? When this MAS 370 went down, he had a whole lot of insight to offer. As I recall, he had flown through that area for many years. Once again, I thought he had a whole lot to add to the discussion and am a bit disappointed that he hasn't posted. I hope all is well with him.

I think he posted as Minnesota Flyer.

Reactions: jim cummings
a team of experts met to go over the Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 disappearance from 2014. The conclusion is that the pilot expertly navigated around radar and made it over his hometown where he banked and went west over the Indian Ocean. In addition, it appears the pilot "landed" the plane in the ocean to mitigate wreckage and avoid discovery.

Amazing.

So I get wanting to kill yourself, for whatever reason things seem so bad that death to yourself is the best alternative. But why take the entire plane with you, what is the point. Doesn't seem like suicide to me, seems more like murder. And probably murder with an ideological purpose.

So I get wanting to kill yourself, for whatever reason things seem so bad that death to yourself is the best alternative. But why take the entire plane with you, what is the point. Doesn't seem like suicide to me, seems more like murder. And probably murder with an ideological purpose.
That Germanwings pilot did it back in 2015 - wanted to kill himself and everyone else and flew into a mountain. People are crazy.

That Germanwings pilot did it back in 2015 - wanted to kill himself and everyone else and flew into a mountain. People are crazy.

That is true, if i remember correctly, he locked the co-pilot out of the cockpit when the co-pilot went to the bathroom. Just don't understand suicide to mass murder,, i guess crazy is about the only reason.

Wasn't there a co pilot on board or any crew that would have known what was going on?

That is true, if i remember correctly, he locked the co-pilot out of the cockpit when the co-pilot went to the bathroom. Just don't understand suicide to mass murder,, i guess crazy is about the only reason.

This guy has a lot of these air disaster videos on youtube- they are pretty good. Just don't watch them before taking a flight.

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
Wasn't there a co pilot on board or any crew that would have known what was going on?

Yes...but a co-pilot could have been killed or knocked out pretty easily. Who would suspect the pilot would hit him/her over the head with a cricket bat (or whatever). Second, the cockpits are now secured. And, without knowing what you are looking at at 40,000 feet, who would know you are over the ocean, land, or whatever. Also, I believe the flight was a redeye...meaning the flight took place when it was dark (last verbal was at 1:20am). It took off at 12:41am. So who, looking out the window, would know or not know you were on course?

The pilot's wife was was rumored to have told him she was leaving him like 1-2 days before this happened. She has never publicly commented on the case.

It's one of a few scenarios, but there's no real proof of it.

Some day they'll find that plane. Though maybe too late for there to be any evidence of what happened.

Yes...but a co-pilot could have been killed or knocked out pretty easily. Who would suspect the pilot would hit him/her over the head with a cricket bat (or whatever). Second, the cockpits are now secured. And, without knowing what you are looking at at 40,000 feet, who would know you are over the ocean, land, or whatever. Also, I believe the flight was a redeye...meaning the flight took place when it was dark (last verbal was at 1:20am). It took off at 12:41am. So who, looking out the window, would know or not know you were on course?
BTW, there's an axe in the cockpit. My brother flies internationally for American and brought up that he thought it was funny he got stopped in security for a nail clipper (this has been a few years), while there's an axe in the cockpit (would go through thin aluminum pretty well for alternate exit).

Marginally OT but this Allec Joshua Ibay has a lot of horrible, yet eminently interesting vids on YT. I fly very rarely but I find his recreations of these accidents compelling. Some you never heard about. He usually doesn't speak in the videos. Just putting it out there. Huge catalog of air disasters. Some are chilling/sad.

**EDIT*** I noticed ro already clued everyone in on this guy. Sorry.

Last edited:
So "if" the pilot "landed" the aircraft in the water....... would not the passengers have been able to open the doors and get out with life vests??? Seems some of these might have shown up on search and rescue??

So "if" the pilot "landed" the aircraft in the water....... would not the passengers have been able to open the doors and get out with life vests??? Seems some of these might have shown up on search and rescue??

Unlike when "Sully" kept the nose up and glided into the Hudson River, this pilot most likely approached the water at a high rate of speed and at an angle with the nose down. The plane and most likely the passengers did not survive the impact.

Unlike when "Sully" kept the nose up and glided into the Hudson River, this pilot most likely approached the water at a high rate of speed and at an angle with the nose down. The plane and most likely the passengers did not survive the impact.

The "experts", agree or disagree, felt the lack of a large area debris field denoted a pilot "landing" on the ocean rather than diving into the ocean. The thought process being the pilot committed suicide and didn't want to leave a footprint.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT