ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Last game between Wilkes-Barre GAR and Meyers

diontechristmas

Sep 3, 2009
Starting next year, Wilkes-Barre will consolidate its 3 high schools into one. This week marks the last game between the Grand Army of the Republic Grenadiers and the E.L. Meyers Mohawks after 87 years. The game has been sold out for weeks. It’s sad to see these old schools and traditions die, but understand consolidation was the right move financially.

GAR produced guys like the dope Greg Skrep, Bob Sura and Penn State’s own Paul Jefferson. Myers is most famous for the Ismael brothers, but also counts former Penn Stater Phil Ostrowski as an alum.

The decision to include GAR into that consolidation was very controversial (i.e. 'last minute' by school board standards) . Lots of local opposition, and the site of proposed new school has a lot of mine subsidence/ reclamation issues.

Reactions: step.eng69
Starting next year, Wilkes-Barre will consolidate its 3 high schools into one. This week marks the last game between the Grand Army of the Republic Grenadiers and the E.L. Meyers Mohawks after 87 years. The game has been sold out for weeks. It’s sad to see these old schools and traditions die, but understand consolidation was the right move financially.

GAR produced guys like the dope Greg Skrep, Bob Sura and Penn State’s own Paul Jefferson. Myers is most famous for the Ismael brothers, but also counts former Penn Stater Phil Ostrowski as an alum.

As a Meyers alum...you forgot Todd Moules! Game will be played in a tsunami, hope they move it to Monday. Neither team is involved in playoffs, I think. No, i am not going, will be getting soaked at PSU!

The decision to include GAR into that consolidation was very controversial (i.e. 'last minute' by school board standards) . Lots of local opposition, and the site of proposed new school has a lot of mine subsidence/ reclamation issues.

All of the wyoming valley has mine subsidence issues! They had a chance to build it where the VA Hospital now sits. Stupid that they didnt pick that site, but nepotism and politics along with backroom deals still rule the Valley.

As a Meyers HS alum...you forgot Todd Moules! MHS/GAR games were historic, the 74 game was on Thanksgiving morning, as were many of the games, won by MHS 66-8, in front of 10,000 people.

Reactions: diontechristmas
As a Meyers HS alum...you forgot Todd Moules! MHS/GAR games were historic, the 74 game was on Thanksgiving morning, as were many of the games, won by MHS 66-8, in front of 10,000 people.
did Barry Wasileski (sp?) play at Meyers?? Didnt he go on to play at Maryland?

Also a state champ wrestler but his name was Degraffenreid in high school. Last states held at Rec Hall.

He changed his name to Wysocki during his Jr. year of High School. He was legally adopted by Stan wysocki who took a liking to Charlie. Like i said, I graduated with him, knew him since 7th grade.

Reactions: step.eng69
167. Meyers won the state team title that year. They had 3 state champs on that team, Charlie being one of them.
Patterson and Castragano the other two. When he won his states he was still Degraffenreid. I was there.

I remember hanging out at the IM bldg playing hoops with Al Harris, Dave Paffenroth and Walker Lee Ashley. The 3 of them said Charlie Wysocki was the toughest back they had to play against. They would tackle him, hard, and Charlie would get up laughing. And those days he toted the pill at least 35 times a game.

Reactions: LionJim
Patterson and Castragano the other two. When he won his states he was still Degraffenreid. I was there.

Buddy...I GRADUATED with the guy. I had at least 4 classes a day for 4 years ina row with the guy...I ran track with the guy. His last name was Wysocki! As we speak I am looking at our HS yearbook with his photo.....it reads under his senior photo: Charles J. DeGraffenreid Wysocki.

Reactions: HazletonLion

You are correct, Frank Castrigano was another classmate and close friend. Went on to wrestle for NC State. I think he won the 138 lb class. He now weighs about 230! Jay Patterson I think won 112, the first of his 3 or 4 straight state titles. I think he ended up at Syracuse.

Buddy...I GRADUATED with the guy. I had at least 4 classes a day for 4 years ina row with the guy...I ran track with the guy. His last name was Wysocki! As we speak I am looking at our HS yearbook with his photo.....it reads under his senior photo: Charles J. DeGraffenreid Wysocki.

Charles DeGraffenreid

Class of 1978

1975-1976: State DNP (AAA)
1976-1977: State DNP (AAA)
1977-1978: State 1st (AAA)

Not saying you're wrong but i have the 78 program and his name in the program is Degraffenreid.

Charles DeGraffenreid

Class of 1978

1975-1976: State DNP (AAA)
1976-1977: State DNP (AAA)
1977-1978: State 1st (AAA)

Not saying you're wrong but i have the 78 program and his name in the program is Degraffenreid.

Don't know why...he changed it during the spring of our Jr year in HS. It was a huge deal in the local papers...African American kid from a tough neighborhood being legally adopted by white parents.

Don't know why...he changed it during the spring of our Jr year in HS. It was a huge deal in the local papers...African American kid from a tough neighborhood being legally adopted by white parents.
Thanks, I’ve never heard this story. I’m from Hazleton and this was before my time, a very interesting and tragic story.

I still remember the last Hazleton Mountaineers and West Hazleton Wildcats football game. It was quite the event, and folks around here still miss their old schools after 25 plus years.

This is from the PIAA web site.

1978 PIAA Class AAA Wrestling Championships
results
provided
by
CHAMPION
Charles DeGraffenreid
Elmer L. Meyers
Steve Sefter
Cedar Cliff
Jim McNamara
Mount Lebanon
Pat Benko
Shaler
Place Winners
SR
SO
JR
JR
3rd Place
J. McNamara (ML)
P. Benko (SHA)
Ref. Dec. 1-1 5-5 OT
J. McNamara (ML)

Once you said Buddy, i knew you were right:) .
The new merger will be known as the Wolfpack, they PC'd that name easily getting rid of Mohawks, Crusaders, and Grenadiers.
When they merged Hazleton Area the students voted for Falcons with colors of Silver & Black, But, But they are now known as the Cougars with disgusting Ohio St colors. At the time they said Black was a gang color, now the predominant color is Red. I need not say what gang is dominant in this town and their color.

Last edited:
maybe you've seen this but Charlie has a web site....http://www.charliewysocki.com/

watch the video, might bring tears to your eyes. Dave Pacella should be in MD HOF for this, let alone he won the Jacobs Blocking trophy for the ACC his Sr year.

Once you said Buddy, i knew you were right:) .
The new merger will be known as the Vikings, they PC'd that name easily getting rid of Mohawks, Crusaders, and Grenadiers.
When they merged Hazleton Area the students voted for Falcons with colors of Silver & Black, But, But they are now known as the Cougars with disgusting Ohio St colors. At the time they said Black was a gang color, now the predominant color is Red. I need not say what gang is dominant in this town and their color.
I read the new name will be Wolfpack with black and Columbia blue as colors. You sure about the Vikings?

My mistake it is Wolfpack, sorry , good name though, i'll make the correction, i knew black was one of the colors.
No problem. I always hated Cougars too by the way as it’s so generic. Actually like the silver and red, but they’ve mostly reverted to red and white with some silver trim these days.

Wow brings back memories. I'm a 1978 grad from WVW and remember charlie D beating us on the last play of the game...we scored to go ahead and kicked off....he ran it back for a TD to win the game....he was special.... Also Myers fb team sent our cheerleaders an box of kotex with all their names written on them :)

As a Meyers alum...you forgot Todd Moules! Game will be played in a tsunami, hope they move it to Monday. Neither team is involved in playoffs, I think. No, i am not going, will be getting soaked at PSU!
Was your HS the one with the sorta squarish track that went under the stands on the backstretch? I think that's where I first saw you run. Forget what meet it was but it was early in the season and it was friggin' cold and windy that day!

Thanks, I’ve never heard this story. I’m from Hazleton and this was before my time, a very interesting and tragic story.

I still remember the last Hazleton Mountaineers and West Hazleton Wildcats football game. It was quite the event, and folks around here still miss their old schools after 25 plus years.
When did you go to Hazleton? My dad was HHS class of ‘50, played guard on the ‘48 and ‘49 teams. I have his programs and some old pics from HHS/WHHS Turkey Day games.

Nice thread. I didn't grow up in W-B, but my dad went to Meyers and my mom went to GAR, back in the '30s and '40s. Times have certainly changed....

This is from the PIAA web site.

1978 PIAA Class AAA Wrestling Championships
results
provided
by
CHAMPION
Charles DeGraffenreid
Elmer L. Meyers
Steve Sefter
Cedar Cliff
Jim McNamara
Mount Lebanon
Pat Benko
Shaler
Place Winners
SR
SO
JR
JR
3rd Place
J. McNamara (ML)
P. Benko (SHA)
Ref. Dec. 1-1 5-5 OT
J. McNamara (ML)

Yo WD...since you have that program, do you have the hvwt results? I had another classmate who went down to states in that class. He lost to the eventual state champ and I think the guy went to LSU. For some reason the name Atiyeh pops into my head....thanks

Was your HS the one with the sorta squarish track that went under the stands on the backstretch? I think that's where I first saw you run. Forget what meet it was but it was early in the season and it was friggin' cold and windy that day!

Oooooh yea! That was it...some dude named Holmboe beat me in the last 200 yds...

Reactions: sluggo72
Yo WD...since you have that program, do you have the hvwt results? I had another classmate who went down to states in that class. He lost to the eventual state champ and I think the guy went to LSU. For some reason the name Atiyeh pops into my head....thanks
You're thinking of George Atiyeh. He went to LSU on a football scholarship. O lineman.

Reactions: bkmtnittany1
GAR players not talked about....Bob Tomko, DL and OL. Marcus Blake RB. Both of these guys went to WVU, I think they got out of HS in 1976. Maybe the best Grenadier footballer was a kid named George Suda, class of 73 I think who went to OKST. Absolute beast of a linebacker and fullback.

Reactions: diontechristmas
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT