ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Just made a delicious lentil soup, was curious as to what your best recipe is. I'm the house expert on soups and stews, that's my limit

Mr. Potter

Dec 27, 2004
Lentil Soup Recipe:
  • 2 onion, chopped

• ¼ cup olive oil

• 4 carrots, diced

• 4 stalks celery, chopped

• 4 cloves garlic, minced

• 1 teaspoon dried oregano

• 1 bay leaf

• 1 teaspoon dried basil

• 1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes

• 1 16oz bag of dry lentils

• 8 cups water, 2 heaping teaspoons of Chicken Bouillon

• 1 cup spinach, rinsed and thinly sliced

• 2 tablespoons vinegar

• 2 1/2 teaspoons of salt

• 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Sauté the carrots celery onions and garlic in the olive oil; Then throw in the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil and then cook on low for two hours. Having it for the games today and the rest of the week

There's a Middle Eastern version that eliminates your addition of vinegar and replaces it with plenty of fresh-squeezed lemon juice. It also leaves out the tomatoes, but adds marble-sized balls of chick pea flour and burghul wheat.

Lentil Soup Recipe:
  • 2 onion, chopped

• ¼ cup olive oil

• 4 carrots, diced

• 1 bay leaf

• 1 teaspoon dried basil

• 2 tablespoons vinegar

Sauté the carrots celery onions and garlic in the olive oil; Then throw in the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil and then cook on low for two hours. Having it for the games today and the rest of the week
Lentil Soup Recipe:
  • 2 onion, chopped

• ¼ cup olive oil

• 4 carrots, diced

• 1 bay leaf

• 1 teaspoon dried basil

• 2 tablespoons vinegar

Nice. I made a steak soup two weeks ago. I cut the broth down so it was more like a steak stew/beef vegetables soup. It was great and filling in a winter day.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
What's great about soups and stews is that you never have to be exact, like when baking.

Right now I'm hooked on butter swim biscuits, because they're way easier than making biscuits the normal way.

7x11 baking pan
1 stick of butter melted and in the pan

Sift dry ingredients in large bowl.
2.5 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Add to dry ingredients
2 cups buttermilk

Mix by hand till just combined
Pour into baking pan (stoneware works best)
Spread to the edges (doesn't matter where the butter goes)

Bake at 450 for 15 minutes
Pull then pan out and cut into 6 or 8 squares
Optional: brush the tops with additional butter
Back into the oven for 8 minutes
Pull the pan out and let rest for 10 minutes

Lentil Soup Recipe:
  • 2 onion, chopped

• ¼ cup olive oil

• 4 carrots, diced

• 1 bay leaf

• 1 teaspoon dried basil

• 2 tablespoons vinegar

Sounds good! Bet it goes great with a nice crusty/chewy bread. It's almost vegan except for the chicken bouillon (I would just substitute vegetable stock).

Navy Bean Soup

1 lb bag Navy Beans (soak them overnight; discard the soak water)
1 large chopped onion
2 or three chopped celery stalks
1 can crushed tomatoes
2 big cloves chopped garlic
1 box chicken broth, 1 box veg broth
1 cup chopped carrots
1 big meaty ham hock or ham shank
Black pepper and parsley flakes

Lightly saute the garlic and onion - I think that opens up the flavor better than merely cooking them in the broth.

Add all the ingredients to a soup pot including the ham hock. Cook on medium-low for three hours.

Remove the ham hock and let it cool down enough to tear it apart. Trim off all the usable ham you can find. Return the ham to pot for one more hour. Taste test for salt - you might not need any with all the ham.

Serve with oyster crackers.

@Mr. Potter I never made it this way but I'm sure you could substitute a pound or so of broiled chicken breasts cut up into cubes. That should also be very good as well as a little less fat.

If it’s not on the grill, the Wife does all the cooking. Got an instapot a month or 2 ago and she’s been using it A LOT lately. I honestly don’t see any difference in the taste of her recipes and it takes a fraction of the time which is great as 2 full time working parents. She makes a very similar recipe to your lentil soup @Mr. Potter. She made a potato soup the other day that was awesome. She never shared her recipes with me, but it had:

ground venison
Red pepper flakes
Shredded parm cheese
Heavy cream
Kale
Potatoes (cubed)

was VERY good. I’ll also tout her green pozole and fideo as the best I’ve ever had. Key to the fideo is to purée mixed veggies and put them into it. Thickens it up a bit (which I like)

Reactions: Mr. Potter
I have a big pot of split pea soup with ham going right now. Basically same recipe as the one above for bean soup. One pound of dried split peas. No need to soak peas overnight like you do beans. No tomatoes but if you like them, knock yourself out.

Very important to gently saute the onions, garlic and celery in butter before adding to the pot. Opens up their flavors much better.

I'll pull the ham hock and disintegrate it around 5:30 and should be eating about 7. Man it smells delish!

Reactions: Mr. Potter
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT