ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Jay Wright is at it....again

Jay has the Cats running like a well oiled machine. He gets top talent with shooting ability and teaches the players how to be tough defenders and play his system.

On offense the whole idea is to get open shots on the three. Get good shots in volume and fire them up. Take care of the ball and play great defense. And win like it’s going out of style and get guys to the NBA.

Any prospect in America, Jay calls, and the player is going to listen to what he has to say. It’s a great time to be a Wildcat.

He’ll probably verbal to Pat Chambers PSU!

:);):)
Glov I know you're just funnin' but remember. Let's say there is a player that Villanova REALLY WANTS and North Carolina REALLY WANTS and Penn State REALLY WANTS. I think it is fair to say that Pat is going to come up short. But that certainly doesn't mean Pat is a bad recruiter.

Lamar Stevens - played at Roman right down the road. Bet your azz Jay knew all about him. Throroughly scouted - everybody knew he was a Power-5 starter on virtually every team. Villanova just had other guys they liked better, the Cats didn't go hard after him, and PSU got him. Certainly doesn't mean Stevens was a 'reach' or a 'Plan B'.

If Chambers continues to reel in guys like that, PSU basketball fans will be very happy.

Glov I know you're just funnin' but remember. Let's say there is a player that Villanova REALLY WANTS and North Carolina REALLY WANTS and Penn State REALLY WANTS. I think it is fair to say that Pat is going to come up short. But that certainly doesn't mean Pat is a bad recruiter.

Lamar Stevens - played at Roman right down the road. Bet your azz Jay knew all about him. Throroughly scouted - everybody knew he was a Power-5 starter on virtually every team. Villanova just had other guys they liked better, the Cats didn't go hard after him, and PSU got him. Certainly doesn't mean Stevens was a 'reach' or a 'Plan B'.

If Chambers continues to reel in guys like that, PSU basketball fans will be very happy.

You are right. Villanova never recruited Stevens

Reactions: TheGLOV
Gotta remember that Nova had a long jam of guys similar in size to Lamar, logjam of talent. Hart, Jenkins, Paschall, Bridges, Samuels, Spellman.

I’ve always like Jay as a coach. People think they are getting to me when they post stuff about Jay or the team but they are not.

Always liked the program.

I’d even like for Jay to take over after Roy leaves UNC but that won’t happen

Stevens was not a very good shooter in hs at all. And I do not think that Jay would leave for either UNC or Duke. He has a low stress job, makes good money and if he never wins another title is a legend in Phila.
Wright has already turned down Kentucky. It is pretty plain to see that he's not taking another college job. He has three Final Fours and two Natty's on his resume. He's outperformed guys like Bill Self and Jim Boeheim. Izzo has many more Final Fours but he's 1-for-8, Wright is 2-for-3. Virtually any place he goes, it's a lateral move.

I also think Jay saw what happened to great college coaches like Calipari, Pitino, and most recently Beilein who got chewed up and spit out in the NBA. Aside from the Sixers making a move with Brett Brown, which is kind of unlikely I think, Jay will be at Villanova until he hangs up the whistle.

Sixers? Maybe. Anyone else? I'd be shocked.

Wright has already turned down Kentucky. It is pretty plain to see that he's not taking another college job. He has three Final Fours and two Natty's on his resume. He's outperformed guys like Bill Self and Jim Boeheim. Izzo has many more Final Fours but he's 1-for-8, Wright is 2-for-3. Virtually any place he goes, it's a lateral move.

I also think Jay saw what happened to great college coaches like Calipari, Pitino, and most recently Beilein who got chewed up and spit out in the NBA. Aside from the Sixers making a move with Brett Brown, which is kind of unlikely I think, Jay will be at Villanova until he hangs up the whistle.

Sixers? Maybe. Anyone else? I'd be shocked.

I have a friend who is a 'Nova grad & Booster and very close to Jay. Also Billy Cunningham, Bill Raftery they all golf together in the summer. He has told me that Jay has said he will not take another job. Thinks he has about 5 more years to give the program all he has before he hands it off to someone else. He has ZERO interest in the NBA but will always listen since 1 it helps with any contract negotiations he has as well as if someone was willing to make him the offer of a lifetime. He is very comfortable at 'Nova, it was always his dream job.

Temple has a similar situation, tho Aaron is just now coming into his own.
"John Chaney's 'Be The Dream' mantra really hit home for me today, as becoming the head coach of Temple Basketball is truly a dream come true," said McKie. "There are so many people that have helped make this dream a reality, like Coach Chaney, and it would be impossible to name them all.

"I am so honored to take the baton from Coach Dunphy, who had it passed to him from Coach Chaney, and continue the proud tradition of the NCAA's fifth-winningest program. I am also grateful to President Englert and Dr. Kraft for believing in me and in my direction for the future."

McKie, who has spent his entire life immersed in the Philadelphia basketball scene, becomes the 18th head coach in Temple men's basketball history, but just the fifth since Hall of Fame coach Harry Litwack took over the reins of the program in 1952. He will also be the first alum to serve as the Owls' head coach since Litwack, who won 373 games and made two Final Four appearances in his 21-year tenure.

"We are delighted to have Aaron McKie as our next men's basketball coach. Aaron knows Temple's history and its rich basketball tradition that goes back for generations, including such coaching legends as Harry Litwack, John Chaney and Fran Dunphy," said Temple President Richard M. Englert. "Coach McKie has demonstrated over his career a strong commitment to developing our students for the classroom, for the basketball arena and for life, and his successes as a star Temple student-athlete will serve him well. We wish him and his entire team all the best in the upcoming seasons."

Sixers is only job I would worry about losing Jay to. They could back up the brinks truck and even give him an ownership piece a la the Pat and JoePa in 70s. That would be something he would need to at least think about. He is also tight with Sixers Team President Scott O'Neil. Thankfully, O'Neil handles the team business side and not the basketball side.

Temple has a similar situation, tho Aaron is just now coming into his own.
"John Chaney's 'Be The Dream' mantra really hit home for me today, as becoming the head coach of Temple Basketball is truly a dream come true," said McKie. "There are so many people that have helped make this dream a reality, like Coach Chaney, and it would be impossible to name them all.

"I am so honored to take the baton from Coach Dunphy, who had it passed to him from Coach Chaney, and continue the proud tradition of the NCAA's fifth-winningest program. I am also grateful to President Englert and Dr. Kraft for believing in me and in my direction for the future."

McKie, who has spent his entire life immersed in the Philadelphia basketball scene, becomes the 18th head coach in Temple men's basketball history, but just the fifth since Hall of Fame coach Harry Litwack took over the reins of the program in 1952. He will also be the first alum to serve as the Owls' head coach since Litwack, who won 373 games and made two Final Four appearances in his 21-year tenure.

"We are delighted to have Aaron McKie as our next men's basketball coach. Aaron knows Temple's history and its rich basketball tradition that goes back for generations, including such coaching legends as Harry Litwack, John Chaney and Fran Dunphy," said Temple President Richard M. Englert. "Coach McKie has demonstrated over his career a strong commitment to developing our students for the classroom, for the basketball arena and for life, and his successes as a star Temple student-athlete will serve him well. We wish him and his entire team all the best in the upcoming seasons."

Let's not compare McKie to Jay Wright just yet. I think that Jay stays more than five more years as long as he is able to recruit the kind of players that he wants. Hopefully not the Domenic Cheek type of players. He learned a lot in those really bad 3-4 years when he had some really selfish players including Malik Wayans.

Let's not compare McKie to Jay Wright just yet. I think that Jay stays more than five more years as long as he is able to recruit the kind of players that he wants. Hopefully not the Domenic Cheek type of players. He learned a lot in those really bad 3-4 years when he had some really selfish players including Malik Wayans.

Leave Jay alone!

:eek::):eek:

Ugh. Don't remind me. Isaiah Armwood too. Terrible mix.

It's fair to say that it took Wright a little while to build up. Couple bad years in there. But once the train started rolling, it hasn't touched the brakes since.

Who did Villanova lose to in the Big Five last year? Was it Temple? Maybe it was Penn. The opponent played an excellent game and the Cats were lousy. But I think Villanova still won the B5 at 3-1?

Oh hell no!

What a disaster!!!

Where's Rollie when you need him?

;):);)

And did the 'payments' finally stop for Doug West to attend 'Nova?

Asking for a friend.

:D:eek::D;):D:eek::D
Those were the days. Roland V. Massimino vs Paul Evans. Boy those two HATED each other. Evans had that crooked dentist in Altoona, thought it was in the bag. Sorry Paul, we got guys too.

Years later I was flying from Pittsburgh to Boston for Naval Reserve drill weekend. Pitt was playing BC on Saturday and turns out the flight was the Pitt official travelling party - Evans was on the plane. I couldn't resist talking to him for a minute, told him I was a VU grad and a huge hoops fan. He gave me a bit of a funny look, but I got to say he shook hands and was very gracious.

Great games back in the '80's. We got scalded but good more than a few times at Fitzgerald Field House. Of course we won a lot too. Bobby Martin, Charles Smith, Jerome Lane, Demetrious Gore, Sean Miller - they were a powerhouse back then.

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13 and TheGLOV
Those were the days. Roland V. Massimino vs Paul Evans. Boy those two HATED each other. Evans had that crooked dentist in Altoona, thought it was in the bag. Sorry Paul, we got guys too.

Years later I was flying from Pittsburgh to Boston for Naval Reserve drill weekend. Pitt was playing BC on Saturday and turns out the flight was the Pitt official travelling party - Evans was on the plane. I couldn't resist talking to him for a minute, told him I was a VU grad and a huge hoops fan. He gave me a bit of a funny look, but I got to say he shook hands and was very gracious.

Great games back in the '80's. We got scalded but good more than a few times at Fitzgerald Field House. Of course we won a lot too. Bobby Martin, Charles Smith, Jerome Lane, Demetrious Gore, Sean Miller - they were a powerhouse back then.

I was in attendance as well my friend.

BUT, you forgot the most entertaining MAN/PERSON/CHEERLEADER of ALL for Pitt sir:

Tiger Paul!!!

:)

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II

Wasn’t Evans the Pitt coach who Rollie beat out for Doug West, an Altoona guy. Whoever the Pitt coach was he was really pissed off as I recall :)

Now now A&L, don't be picking on @TheGLOV.

Villanova and North Carolina have met many times in the NCAA Tournament with each team collecting both pulsating wins and devastating losses. We beat them in the 1985 Final Eight at Birmingham, they got us in the 2009 National Semifinals. Of course we beat them head to head for the Natty. IIRC there were other matchups in there as well. I was always a great admirer of Dean Smith, although I'll admit to losing some respect for them in the subsequent years.

When you're talking about recruiting from 35 years ago things get fuzzy, so I looked it up. The late Roy Chipman (died so young, well before his time) was at Pitt from 1980-81 thru 1985-86; Evans was at the Naval Academy until he took over in 1986-87.

Doug West graduated Altoona HS in 1986 and was a freshman player at Villanova in the fall. Now I don't know when Chipman resigned and Evans took over. Basically he would have been a Chipman prospect, and Roy was an excellent recruiter bringing in guys like Charles Smith. Now West could have very well committed late and still have been around when Evans got to Pitt and made a late push. It's all rumors and old stories now. But that was the heyday of the Golden Panthers, so anything is possible.

What's not in dispute though is, Mass and Evans detested each other. Brought a lot of spice to the league that's for sure. The Big East was at it's apex. Syracuse was great, Georgetown was great, the Johnnies had faded a little but Providence was coming off a Final Four and Seton Hall was gearing up for their big run. Pitt and Villanova were strong - the league was a total buzz saw. UConn had just brought in a young gun named Jim Calhoun. It was the greatest league in the greatest time of college basketball history.

Dave Gavitt is gone now, but Mike Tranghesi should write a book about the era. It would fly off the shelves.

Big kid with college body and aggressiveness. We need bigs and a point guard to back up or start next season. We are losing Beh this year. Next season we'll be deep with transfer guard Daniels, and big kid from Abington who redshirted this year added as well as Antoine playing a full season. Likely lose Antoine, Gillespie, Moore, Robinson Earl, Cosby Roundtree and Samuel's after next season. That will be tough, but open door for new bodies. I love PSU basketball, but have been a Big5 and Nova fan since early 1970's , watching double headers on channel 17 out of Philly with the rabbit ears antennae.
The Big Five was awesome. I would also watch the Saturday night double headers. I believe the first announcing icon was a guy by the name of Les Keiter. Like a ring tailed howitzer I believe was one of his lines to describe a shot made. Classic teams like #2 1969 La Salle, #2 Penn 1971 and 1971 NCAA runner up Villanova made the late 60's and early 70"s just another great big Five era. In that era Al Meltzer, Charlie Swift and I believe Bill White were doing the games. Penn State fans were able to experience the Palestra first hand last winter. I think people at that games can probably imagine how utterly ridiculous the insanity must have been back then. Insane rivalries and barnburners 8 out of 10 regardless of ranking. Famous last second shots. It was basketball nirvana. No it was better than that.

The Big Five was awesome. I would also watch the Saturday night double headers. I believe the first announcing icon was a guy by the name of Les Keiter. Like a ring tailed howitzer I believe was one of his lines to describe a shot made. Classic teams like #2 1969 La Salle, #2 Penn 1971 and 1971 NCAA runner up Villanova made the late 60's and early 70"s just another great big Five era. In that era Al Meltzer, Charlie Swift and I believe Bill White were doing the games. Penn State fans were able to experience the Palestra first hand last winter. I think people at that games can probably imagine how utterly ridiculous the insanity must have been back then. Insane rivalries and barnburners 8 out of 10 regardless of ranking. Famous last second shots. It was basketball nirvana. No it was better than that.
I love La Salle!

Any damn dookie can tell you why!!

Rollie and Paul Evans feud got heated due to the recruitment of Bobby Martin. Rollie thought he had him and he jumped to Pitt at last minute. Rumors were that a $10K payment got him to Pitt. It was pretty ugly the first game that Martin and Pitt game to the Dupont Pavilion his freshman year. Trust me, I was sitting in the student section.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
Now now A&L, don't be picking on @TheGLOV.

Villanova and North Carolina have met many times in the NCAA Tournament with each team collecting both pulsating wins and devastating losses. We beat them in the 1985 Final Eight at Birmingham, they got us in the 2009 National Semifinals. Of course we beat them head to head for the Natty. IIRC there were other matchups in there as well. I was always a great admirer of Dean Smith, although I'll admit to losing some respect for them in the subsequent years.

When you're talking about recruiting from 35 years ago things get fuzzy, so I looked it up. The late Roy Chipman (died so young, well before his time) was at Pitt from 1980-81 thru 1985-86; Evans was at the Naval Academy until he took over in 1986-87.

Doug West graduated Altoona HS in 1986 and was a freshman player at Villanova in the fall. Now I don't know when Chipman resigned and Evans took over. Basically he would have been a Chipman prospect, and Roy was an excellent recruiter bringing in guys like Charles Smith. Now West could have very well committed late and still have been around when Evans got to Pitt and made a late push. It's all rumors and old stories now. But that was the heyday of the Golden Panthers, so anything is possible.

What's not in dispute though is, Mass and Evans detested each other. Brought a lot of spice to the league that's for sure. The Big East was at it's apex. Syracuse was great, Georgetown was great, the Johnnies had faded a little but Providence was coming off a Final Four and Seton Hall was gearing up for their big run. Pitt and Villanova were strong - the league was a total buzz saw. UConn had just brought in a young gun named Jim Calhoun. It was the greatest league in the greatest time of college basketball history.

Dave Gavitt is gone now, but Mike Tranghesi should write a book about the era. It would fly off the shelves.
I went to many of the Saturday afternoon games at the Spectrum. We knew the equipment guy for the Sixers so we always got great seats. Mullin, Berry, Ewing and so many more great tough players. Those mid 80s games were the best I’ve ever seen. We’d always stop at a bar near the arena prior to the games and grab cheesesteaks and a few beers. Great times.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT