ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Is there an established protocol for civilians during the National Anthem?

How do you feel about courtrooms making you "Swear on the Bible" before taking the stand, in a US Court of Law where we have separation of Church and State? Or am I a douchebag for asking?

you seem upset, I'm not sure why

but to answer your question, I'm not a fan of the practice myself- I think the separation of church and state needs to be jealously guarded, as do all of our liberties

you seem upset, I'm not sure why

but to answer your question, I'm not a fan of the practice myself- I think the separation of church and state needs to be jealously guarded, as do all of our liberties

p01m7dtz.jpg

Reactions: Nitt1300
The hand over heart thing seems like a newer thing to me. I don't remember ever having to do hand over heart when I was a kid in the 80s. Hand over heart was for the pledge and that makes sense to me. Nothing wrong with holding your hands in front of you or hands behind the back respectfully.

People are idiots if they say you are "doing it wrong" provided you are not being overtly disrespectful.
Apparently the idiots in Congress decided to tell people what to do in 2008. I'm betting on them being too stupid to grasp the difference between a "pledge" and an "anthem", but of course some of them also think you need to buy some Chinese made flag pins to be patriotic.

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
People are always looking for a new way to be offended. If Ledecky was the most decorated Olympian in history, I'm sure she would have received the headline as well.

As for the National Anthem, both Phelps and Gabby were criticized on Twitter for their actions on the podium. Again, people always look for a new way to be offended.
Phelps came in second -- silver. Ledecky won by five yards, for shit's sake. Turn the tables you dolt.

Apparently the idiots in Congress decided to tell people what to do in 2008. I'm betting on them being too stupid to grasp the difference between a "pledge" and an "anthem", but of course some of them also think you need to buy some Chinese made flag pins to be patriotic.
The current law was passed in 2008, but the practice of putting your hand over your heart while hearing the anthem or saluting the flag goes back way, way before that, we were taught that in elementary school when I was a kid. I was PSU class of 1972, so you can do the math on when I was in elementary school.

How do you feel about courtrooms making you "Swear on the Bible" before taking the stand, in a US Court of Law where we have separation of Church and State? Or am I a douchebag for asking?

You don't have to swear on the bible. The only thing that you are required to do is affirm that you will tell the truth. A bible is not needed, nor are the word "so help me God".

I was trained/taught that as a former military man (person) that is now a civilian, you should stand at attention facing the flag during national anthem. Of course, should you be wearing a hat, remove it and stand at attention.

The current law was passed in 2008, but the practice of putting your hand over your heart while hearing the anthem or saluting the flag goes back way, way before that, we were taught that in elementary school when I was a kid. I was PSU class of 1972, so you can do the math on when I was in elementary school.

The practice of putting your hand over your heart while hearing the anthem goes back way, way before that - for SOME PEOPLE. FTFY.

I'm sure for everybody who was taught that was the way to do it in elementary school, there are lots of people who were taught that it isn't necessary to do so.

That's the problem with taking a "custom" and enshrining it into law. Where and when I grew up, it was "customary" to put your hand over your heart during the pledge, and to remove your hat and stand at attention for the anthem.

Now someone has apparently passed a law in the last few years that tells me that my custom was wrong and I was doing it wrong all along. Oh well - I'm still going to do things the way I've always done them.

Actually, that does count as a world record. I didn't know that until it happened, just the other day.
It was still a bloody split. Besides, how accurately were split times recorded in the past? Numbnuts is just deflecting from the obvious.

This isn't a law, correct, it's just a BS guidance document...

This isn't a law, correct, it's just a BS guidance document...
36 U.S.C. Sec. 301

TITLE 36 -- PATRIOTIC AND NATIONAL OBSERVANCES, CEREMONIES, AND ORGANIZATIONS, passed in 1998, and amended in 2008.

Who said Congress doesn't get things done!! Also enacted under this law is the following important piece of legislation:

Sec. 114. Leif Erikson Day

The President may issue each year a proclamation designating October
9 as Leif Erikson Day.

It was still a bloody split. Besides, how accurately were split times recorded in the past? Numbnuts is just deflecting from the obvious.

It only counts as a world record if you lead off the relay (which Murphy did) - and it's been that way forever.

An interesting Smithsonian Magazine about some of the background for the rules for civilians regarding what to do during the National Anthem can be accessed at THIS LINK.

Of course it was a WR, swimming allows for world records on the opening leg of the relay. Swimmer starts in the blocks same as an individual swim and his/her time it calculated by when they touch the pad, just like an ind. race. Thus, swimmers CAN set WR's on lead off legs, just like Murphy did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT