ADVERTISEMENT

OT: If anyone has been to Mount Washington, check out the link. Video is terrifying

Mr. Potter

Dec 27, 2004

That is insane. In 2017, we sat at the dining table beside him two days before the race. Other racers were staying in the same motel. The busboy asked him for a picture of the two. We had no idea who he was, but Google took care of that. The next morning, I white-knuckled my way up Mt. Washington. The next day he broke the record. Pretty cool memory. He was very quiet and nice to the busboy.

hell, I did that on the WVa turnpike just weeks ago in an F150

Three times. Auto road twice and cog railroad once.
The first time it was a beautiful 75 degrees at the entrance. The attendant said the road is open but there are hurricane force winds at the top, when you get there open one door at a time. At tree line we're in the clouds and it's getting windy. At the top it's 45 degrees and the wind is 85mph. We get behind a stone building with a couple and their small boy to take a break from the wind. When we make to the visitors center the boy is really scared and crying. He says to his dad, i want to go back down to earth.
Of the way back down we pass a minivan with a luggage carrier on the roof. The lid is flapping in the wind. Couldn't see if the luggage was still inside.

So he did this without a nagavator riding along side him, no other moving cars, no potholes to avoid, and no pedestrians walking or cyclists to watch out for? Pfft.

Travis Pastrana is a great motorsport competitor and has attachments the size of wrecking balls and that video is just one example. He raced motocross and supercross early in his career but was always involved in freestyle motocross and stunt riding. He's more into 4 wheels now but is still one crazy MF'er.

That is insane. In 2017, we sat at the dining table beside him two days before the race. Other racers were staying in the same motel. The busboy asked him for a picture of the two. We had no idea who he was, but Google took care of that. The next morning, I white-knuckled my way up Mt. Washington. The next day he broke the record. Pretty cool memory. He was very quiet and nice to the busboy.
He lives in my community in Maryland. He is a great guy, very humble, approachable and just walks around like it's no big deal (grocery stores, fedex, restaurants, I've seen him everywhere).

Three times. Auto road twice and cog railroad once.
The first time it was a beautiful 75 degrees at the entrance. The attendant said the road is open but there are hurricane force winds at the top, when you get there open one door at a time. At tree line we're in the clouds and it's getting windy. At the top it's 45 degrees and the wind is 85mph. We get behind a stone building with a couple and their small boy to take a break from the wind. When we make to the visitors center the boy is really scared and crying. He says to his dad, i want to go back down to earth.
Of the way back down we pass a minivan with a luggage carrier on the roof. The lid is flapping in the wind. Couldn't see if the luggage was still inside.
I did the drive a couple years ago. It’s spectacularly scary. The dirt section is tight. Going down I had to pass a pickup with super wide mirrors (obviously for towing a camper). I just stopped and let him go by before proceeding.

The wind was howling up top. The observatory building is chained to the ground so it doesn’t blow away.

How was the cog railway? Is it scary at all?

Reactions: 4theglory54
I did the drive a couple years ago. It’s spectacularly scary. The dirt section is tight. Going down I had to pass a pickup with super wide mirrors (obviously for towing a camper). I just stopped and let him go by before proceeding.

The wind was howling up top. The observatory building is chained to the ground so it doesn’t blow away.

How was the cog railway? Is it scary at all?
Cog isn't scary. Nice enjoyable ride with the conductor telling the cog history and other stories. When people stand in the car it looks like they're leaning either forward, backward or sideways and should fall down.

I was suprised Pastrana said that's the toughest road in the world. I would like to see him drive up Mount Evans in Colorado. It's more of a white-knuckle ride than Mount Washington. Don't get me wrong, it is still an amazing feat.

I've driven up twice. The first time, my friend and I drove to the Autoroad entrance and on a sign, it stated weather at the summit, 38 degrees and eighty - five mile gusts. We laughed. Drove to the summit, they were spot on. I have a picture of the wind guage at 105 mph. Crazy place. You have to lean against a building to take a photo.

Reactions: 4theglory54
I would like to see him do Mt Evans in Idaho Springs, CO. I was there in June and 94F at the base, by 14130 ft, it drops to 30 something and wind @ 60mph

A buddy of mine did the cycling version of the climb. Barely moving in certain ramps. Said he was overheating when he got to the top, and within about 30 seconds of finishing, he was basically hypothermic. You weren't allowed to cycle down.

Made the drive up 3 times with my reluctant wife, all white knuckle affairs, and the last, over 30 years ago.

1st- we were by ourselves.

2nd- with friends of ours as passengers, in a cloud fog, which included an argument with a descending pickup truck who was insisting we move over further so he wouldn't scratch his vehicle on the inside rock face....(yeah right.....)

3rd- with my parents as passengers, when above the tree line, my Dad was requesting to be let out of the car and picked up on the way down (true story.... LOL)

I watched this video in awe, and couldn't wait to show my wife. I just did.....she watched without saying a word......it ended and she got up, looked at me, and said, Our ride up was scarier.........

There will be no more ascents for us!

Last edited:
I love how the one car door is almost immaculate.
Yea I've noticed that and have no explanation, especially given the amount of damage on the panel immediately behind it leading right to the edge of the door. God works in mysterious ways. Driver wasn't seriously injured either iirc.

Reactions: 91Joe95
I climbed it when I was a lot younger, and have been up on the cog railway a couple of times but never had any desire to drive or ride up that road, because I don't do heights.

Mt. Washington has a special place in my heart. As an avid outdoorsman (and hiker) that was heading into wilderness EMT program back in 1996 I decided to climb Mt. Washington before arriving at the school in North Conway the following day.

This was late June and about 80 degrees with mild humidity.

I got about 7/8 of the way up and it started to downpour cold rain. It transitioned from sleet to actual snow when I reached the peak. The faculties were closed.

I had all the gear an acknowledge/experience to make it off the mountain, so I decided to go for it.

It kept snowing/sleeting the whole way down. It took me more tto get down than up. It was an epic decent because of my “hard headed” approach to finishe the hike. I was shivering beyond control and knew hypothermia was setting in.

Got back to the Bronco and turned the car and heater on high and slept till morning.

Might not seem like a drastic scenario in text format, but that was the most scared and worried about my safety till this day.

I don’t know what’s worse...watching the video or reading the comments. One thing I learned is I will never go up there.

Never been there and wondered how long the auto road was and what was normal drive time. Here's a recap from the associated article:

" The 7.6-mile Auto Road to the summit typically take a tourist 30 minutes to drive, according to hillclimb sponsor Subaru. And considering the dropoffs and mixed surfaces you see in this video, that tourist pace of 15 mph or so sounds like a fine idea. But Pastrana's 2017 record was 5 minutes, 44 seconds. And this time, he was equipped with his Subaru "Airslayer" WRX STI that was built for the Gymkhana 2020 video, which puts out 826-horsepower and generates much more downforce from its aero. Airslayer got him up the mountain 16 seconds faster, at 5:28.67.
Our rough math makes the average speed to be around 83 mph."

And no deer?
Excellent point regarding an unforeseen critter crossing the road, at least below the tree line.

Back in 1970 I was stationed in Fort Hood Texas and our young, 2nd lieutenant platoon leader enjoyed tooling around the open Texas roads with his Porsche 914 convertible. That was, until one evening him and an armadillo decided to simultaneously occupy the same piece of pavement. Sent him off the road into some rough terrain.

Reactions: cment
Mt. Washington has a special place in my heart. As an avid outdoorsman (and hiker) that was heading into wilderness EMT program back in 1996 I decided to climb Mt. Washington before arriving at the school in North Conway the following day.

This was late June and about 80 degrees with mild humidity.

I got about 7/8 of the way up and it started to downpour cold rain. It transitioned from sleet to actual snow when I reached the peak. The faculties were closed.

I had all the gear an acknowledge/experience to make it off the mountain, so I decided to go for it.

It kept snowing/sleeting the whole way down. It took me more tto get down than up. It was an epic decent because of my “hard headed” approach to finishe the hike. I was shivering beyond control and knew hypothermia was setting in.

Got back to the Bronco and turned the car and heater on high and slept till morning.

Might not seem like a drastic scenario in text format, but that was the most scared and worried about my safety till this day.
I climbed Mt. Washington as part of the Appalachian Trail which passes right over the summit. I was fortunate to have fantastic weather for the entire Presidential traverse - it was sunny and in the 60's with light wind. It is definitely not a mountain to be taken lightly. A lot of people have died up there.

Tree line on Mt Washington is 4400'.
In Colorado tree line is at around 11,000 to 12,000 feet. The Tetons in Wyoming have a tree line around 10,000 feet elevation.

Tree line on Mt Washington is 4400'.
In Colorado tree line is at around 11,000 to 12,000 feet. The Tetons in Wyoming have a tree line around 10,000 feet elevation.

When I'm visiting the Grand Tetons the tree line is around 1/2 half a foot, unless the lawn mower was used.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT