ADVERTISEMENT

OT: I want to thank the McAndrew board tonight…

CF LION

May 29, 2001
Five years ago today I lost my wife to brain cancer. The year leading up to that day was pure hell for me but I always found some solace and escapism here on the McAndrew board. Countless nights were spent at the hospital, and when my wife was sleeping I usually ended up here on this board catching up on Penn State football, pop culture, world events, and numerous other topics.

I also used this board to vent my sadness, grief and helplessness during that time. Thank you for allowing me to do that.

I’m in a great place today and though it might seem a bit gratuitous, I know this board played a role with that. I got a lot of support and advice here and I took it all to heart. To this day, no matter where I am or what I’m doing, the days are few that I don’t stop by and at least see what’s going on here.

So thanks to all of you.

Now let’s kick some ass this season.

We Are…

Five years ago today I lost my wife to brain cancer. The year leading up to that day was pure hell for me but I always found some solace and escapism here on the McAndrew board. Countless nights were spent at the hospital, and when my wife was sleeping I usually ended up here on this board catching up on Penn State football, pop culture, world events, and numerous other topics.

I also used this board to vent my sadness, grief and helplessness during that time. Thank you for allowing me to do that.

I’m in a great place today and though it might seem a bit gratuitous, I know this board played a role with that. I got a lot of support and advice here and I took it all to heart. To this day, no matter where I am or what I’m doing, the days are few that I don’t stop by and at least see what’s going on here.

So thanks to all of you.

We Are…
PENN STATE!

Reactions: LionJim and 91Joe95

So thanks to all of you.

We Are…
Sorry to hear of your loss but also glad to hear you had found the solace you needed

Reactions: PSU Soupy

So thanks to all of you.

We Are…
I'm glad to hear that you are in a better place. I know it's not easy. I wish you continued recovery.

So thanks to all of you.

We Are…
So very happy for you sir. May the memories of your lovely wife continue to burn bright in her absence, and bring you joy for having shared them with her.

Thank you for sharing your story and experiences CF, glad you are doing well.

This board really is a community. In the last 5 years I’ve dealt with an unexpected divorce and stage 3 cancer diagnosis. The outpouring of advice and support has meant more than anyone will ever know. Like CF, I also want to say thanks and can also say I’m in a great place in life - and beat cancer. Life (and this board) is good.

So thanks to all of you.

I remember your posts from when your wife was dealing with her cancer, from when she passed away, and your later posts as you tried to put together the pieces. It still pains me to think about what happened to your wife, and what your kids and you had to endure. Your Penn State sweetheart, who became your wife and the mother of your children; a perfect story that unfortunately had an unexpectedly sad ending.

If I recall correctly, your daughter has since gotten married, your son has graduated HS and is about to start college. And you're in a great relationship, and started a new job in Florida in the past year.

It is unfortunate that you had to experience the events that you went through. That said, it seems as though you handled things well, and after getting over your grief and frustration, you've done a great job of moving forward.

Here's wishing you the best of luck in the future. And if you need any assistance in the future, don't hesitate to post.

I remember your posts from when your wife was dealing with her cancer, from when she passed away, and your later posts as you tried to put together the pieces. It still pains me to think about what happened to your wife, and what your kids and you had to endure. Your Penn State sweetheart, who became your wife and the mother of your children; a perfect story that unfortunately had an unexpectedly sad ending.

If I recall correctly, your daughter has since gotten married, your son has graduated HS and is about to start college. And you're in a great relationship, and started a new job in Florida in the past year.

It is unfortunate that you had to experience the events that you went through. That said, it seems as though you handled things well, and after getting over your grief and frustration, you've done a great job of moving forward.

Here's wishing you the best of luck in the future. And if you need any assistance in the future, don't hesitate to post.
You almost nailed it Tom. We postponed my daughter’s wedding last year due to COVID. She is getting married this November, Delta variant be damned.

Thanks again!

Thank you for posting this, CF. I remember you posting about your wife's passing. I'm glad the board brought you a measure of solace.

Your post also has reminded me of keeping things in proper perspective on this board. It’s ok to disagree on things, and to disagree strongly. But I have to remember that there is a person behind the moniker. And I don't have a clue what they are going through in their life. Maybe they just lost the love of their life to cancer.

Stay strong, CF.

I recall your posts throughout. Hard to believe it's been that long already. I'm glad to hear how well you've managed through it, I could only hope to be such a great father when dealing with such a thing.

I've also found this board to be a great place for solace when dealing with difficult issues and you just need somewhere to go to either forget about it, or discuss it in detail with a lot of people who have so many experiences to share to help you through it.

If you reach a certain age in this journey called life.....it seems that all you do is say "goodbye." I've learned to view grieving a spouse somewhat like recovery from an addiction. Once an addict always an addict. Some can progress relatively quickly, avoid falling back down the black hole (of grief) and others stay mired in it.
I am so glad to see CF found a new love and his children are flourishing. I do recall him posting about his son missing his mom.
I am at the 11 year, 10 month and 19th day point in battle with grief. Like many, some days are better than others. I too have found a community of supporters here.....and I believe it's easier for most of us to share our pain anonymously.
I believe that one's perspective(how they see things) depends on where they stand (what they have experienced in life). I regret not being able to comfort my father when my mother died. I thought that trying to go on and not change things was the solution. I became frustrated with him when he would set silently after just a few minutes when I traveled hours to visit him. I just didn't understand then.
To me what CF has shared with us is more important than any victory in a football game.
For the rest of us, we need to keep "fighting the good fight."

If you reach a certain age in this journey called life.....it seems that all you do is say "goodbye." I've learned to view grieving a spouse somewhat like recovery from an addiction. Once an addict always an addict. Some can progress relatively quickly, avoid falling back down the black hole (of grief) and others stay mired in it.
I am so glad to see CF found a new love and his children are flourishing. I do recall him posting about his son missing his mom.
I am at the 11 year, 10 month and 19th day point in battle with grief. Like many, some days are better than others. I too have found a community of supporters here.....and I believe it's easier for most of us to share our pain anonymously.
I believe that one's perspective(how they see things) depends on where they stand (what they have experienced in life). I regret not being able to comfort my father when my mother died. I thought that trying to go on and not change things was the solution. I became frustrated with him when he would set silently after just a few minutes when I traveled hours to visit him. I just didn't understand then.
To me what CF has shared with us is more important than any victory in a football game.
For the rest of us, we need to keep "fighting the good fight."
I echo the sentiments. Scraping wallpaper off of my deceased daughter's room today. Not that long ago I painted it when she was 3. This board was an escape long before I outed myself. Life moves on....whether we like it or not. Godspeed.

I echo the sentiments. Scraping wallpaper off of my deceased daughter's room today. Not that long ago I painted it when she was 3. This board was an escape long before I outed myself. Life moves on....whether we like it or not. Godspeed.
I often wonder what people think of the "old guy" who appears to have tears running down his cheeks while shopping for groceries.....

Last edited:
Reactions: 91Joe95

So thanks to all of you.

We Are…
Love your spirit! Go State

Reactions: brupsu
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT