ADVERTISEMENT

OT: How's everyones' garden this year. My tomatoes and dill size cukes have been crushing it lately. Grew some lettuce as well.

Didn't have a good summer crop here in New Orleans. Too much rain, 23 inches above average. Hoping for a better fall crop.
Daughter had a successful cherry tomato crop 55 miles north of me.
Lime tree is doing better than last year but not great.

As a matter of fact Mr Potter, I harvested some honey from the local grocery store this morning. :D

Last edited:
Didn't have a good summer crop here in New Orleans. Too much rain, 23 inches above average. Hoping for a better fall crop.
Daughter had a successful cherry tomato crop 55 north of me.
Lime tree is doing better than last year but not great.

As a matter of fact Mr Potter, I harvested some honey from the local grocery store this morning. :D
23 in above avg, holy eff.... it's not even hurricane season.

Reactions: Fac
Anyone Harvest Honey?

Shabbat Shalom
slow start in Madison WI. had freezing temps Mem day weekend when I usually plant. Also very dry summer here has held things back a little, so had to water. But have canned 16 quarts bread and butter pickles, and just starting to make tomato sauce, peppers mostly still green but heavy yields on some of the plants. Have decent okra this year, been very hot and humid (for all you climate change deniers an African plant growing in Wisconsin). Best tomatoes currently chef choice orange, buffalo sun hybrid, big beef, black cherry, pozzano. Epic yields dragon tongue and yellow beans

Update 8/14/2021 Picked 59.5 pounds tomatoes this morning, 31.5 pounds paste/ sauce and 28 pound slicing/ salad tomatoes.

Last edited:
Our squash has been otherworldly.
A guy once told me that at this time of year if you park your car in a large parking lot you want to be sure to put the windows all the way up and lock the doors or when you come back it is liable to be full of squash.

Our neighbor across the street use to put out all the things his garden was over producing on a table out by the street with a sign on it that said "FREE." Most people would take what they could use and go on their way. One day late in the afternoon everything was gone but someone stopped and took the table that said "Free" on it. After that he changed the sign to "Free, but leave the table please."

We got a ton of cukes. Zucchini did well although the plant looks all but dead. Tomatoes are just starting to come on. Lettuce did well also, but that's hard so mess up.

Not really "in the garden" but we got a boat load of blueberries. Unfortunately we were away for peak season. And they went to my wife's aunt and my dad. 6.5 gallons from 4 bushes.

Ground hogs ruined the pumpkin patch and bush beans, fusarium problems with the tomatoes, cukes ok, some squash, great lettuce, basil, onions. I plant a lot of tomatoes though so more than I need.

Reactions: Mr. Potter
Ground hogs ruined the pumpkin patch and bush beans, fusarium problems with the tomatoes, cukes ok, some squash, great lettuce, basil, onions. I plant a lot of tomatoes though so more than I need.
One solution to your fist issue...crossbow.

With your tomatoes...blanch freeze, and make a great sauce or salsa with herbs are ready. Can or freeze.

Anyone Harvest Honey?

Shabbat Shalom
Second year for garden @ this house since we moved to near Cresson. Last few days of rain were needed after 10+ day dry spell. Everything was doing great except we have lost the cukes to cucumber beetles after one early harvest and some of the zuchini from squash vine worms. We have pumpkins but they are small since the works hit their vines as well. Peas (snap and shelling) produced a ton and we have frozen nearly 30 quarts of beans (mostly green) to date. While we have been eating them on sandwiches / salads for the past month - first big pick of tomatoes was today and produced roughly a bushel and a half. Sauce making starts tomorrow! Early potatoes are ready as well - first three plants (we have 40 or so in several beds) produced about 4lbs. average, all in nice larger potatoes. Peppers (bell and 3 variety of hot) and onions (red & white) have been great as well. did carrots and leaks for the first time - carrot are now coming ready and they did well. Onions are huge and are dying off and curing now. We had lettuce and spinach all spring from the cold frames and the lettuce (3 kinds) is doing well now as are the cabbage. Only thing that grew well but didn't produce was the Broccoli - oly produced small heads this early season. Hoping the fall broccoli will do better!

Reactions: Mr. Potter
Second year for garden @ this house since we moved to near Cresson. Last few days of rain were needed after 10+ day dry spell. Everything was doing great except we have lost the cukes to cucumber beetles after one early harvest and some of the zuchini from squash vine worms. We have pumpkins but they are small since the works hit their vines as well. Peas (snap and shelling) produced a ton and we have frozen nearly 30 quarts of beans (mostly green) to date. While we have been eating them on sandwiches / salads for the past month - first big pick of tomatoes was today and produced roughly a bushel and a half. Sauce making starts tomorrow! Early potatoes are ready as well - first three plants (we have 40 or so in several beds) produced about 4lbs. average, all in nice larger potatoes. Peppers (bell and 3 variety of hot) and onions (red & white) have been great as well. did carrots and leaks for the first time - carrot are now coming ready and they did well. Onions are huge and are dying off and curing now. We had lettuce and spinach all spring from the cold frames and the lettuce (3 kinds) is doing well now as are the cabbage. Only thing that grew well but didn't produce was the Broccoli - oly produced small heads this early season. Hoping the fall broccoli will do better!
Glad to hear your garden is going well. But keep your damn critters over there. We don't need any more here in Lilly.

• Haha
Reactions: bytir
Wow, I'm impressed.

You get tired of eating squash every night but it does pay off the next morning. At my age that’s a good thing.
When collecting from the local farmers for the church food distribution Thursday we got an extra large box of squash and eggplant so we were just putting them whole in every box.
Dont know how many will get eaten but it was quite the haul, and these were huge.

Cherry tomatoes prolific as always. Best year for green peppers ever. Don't know if it is the variety, luck, weather. First time growing cucumber. Getting what we can use but only a few extra. Flowers like crazy but scarce fruit. Read about this and find that there are about 10 male blossoms to 1 female. Tried using a small brush to pollinate with no real success. Hard to spread their legs to see which is which.

I used to grow veggies and now I leave it up to the professionals to grow my produce. Its much easier and I don't have to worry about watering, insects, and foraging animal issues. I buy my summer veggies as needed from two places in Watermill, NY. Halsey farm which is a 12th generation family run farm and The Green Thumb which is NY/FDA certified.

Last edited:
Reactions: LionJim
I used to grow veggies and now I leave it up to the professionals to grow my produce. Its much easier and I don't have to worry about watering, insects, and foraging animal issues. I buy my summer veggies as needed from two places in Watermill, NY. Halsey farm which is a 12th generation family run farm and The Green Thumb which is NY/FDA certified.
Back in the 1950s my family used to camp at Hither Hills and on the way out there was a house in Watermill right on Rt. 27, on the right side of the road, that had their entire front yard planted in veggies and had a vegetable stand on the road. We would stop and buy for the week. Running the stand was one of the family children, never saw an adult.
Add 20 years or so and both my parents and I had houses in Montauk and this veggie stand was still open in the summer. That was the 1970s. I don't recall seeing it open in the 2000s. Are you familiar with this property?

slow start in Madison WI. had freezing temps Mem day weekend when I usually plant. Also very dry summer here has held things back a little, so had to water. But have canned 16 quarts bread and butter pickles, and just starting to make tomato sauce, peppers mostly still green but heavy yields on some of the plants. Have decent okra this year, been very hot and humid (for all you climate change deniers an African plant growing in Wisconsin). Best tomatoes currently chef choice orange, buffalo sun hybrid, big beef, black cherry, pozzano. Epic yields dragon tongue and yellow beans

Update 8/14/2021 Picked 59.5 pounds tomatoes this morning, 31.5 pounds paste/ sauce and 28 pound slicing/ salad tomatoes.
Good to hear, Steve, sounds like enough to get your'e canning needs.

Last edited:
Gonna put my crop of rocks up at the state fair this year and would wager the house on winning that category.

Got 50-60 gallons of blueberries, both yellow and purple figs have borne massive amounts of fruit, mellons are producing great in spite of rain - really sweet 'lopes and honeydew. Raspberry and blackberry harvest was average, strawberrys are still kicking butt.

Muscadine and scuppernong yield will be in the 300-500 lb range, an average year for those.

Orange, lemon and lime trees (potted indoor/outdoor) are loaded with fruit.

Too early to tell on the pecan and walnuts but the trees look loaded.

Last edited:
Gonna put my crop of rocks up at the state fair this year and would wager the house on winning that category.

Got 50-60 gallons of blueberries, both yellow and purple figs have borne massive amounts of fruit, mellons are producing great in spite of rain - really sweet 'lopes and honeydew. Raspberry and blackberry harvest was average, strawberrys are still kicking butt.

Muscadine and scuppernong yield will be in the 300-500 lb range, an average year for those.

Orange, lemon and lime trees (potted indoor/outdoor) are loaded with fruit.

Too early to tell on the pecan and walnuts but the trees look loaded.
God I wish you were one of the customers on my morning (3:30 am) paper route 58 yrs ago.
😛 🍉🍊🍋🍎🥝🍅
My two close friends, Ray & Chuckie, and I had adjacent paper route territories. In the summer we would take samples our customer's gardens and meet about six in the morning after deliveries and have a fresh Veggybreakfast.

God I wish you were one of the customers on my morning (3:30 am) paper route 58 yrs ago.
😛 🍉🍊🍋🍎🥝🍅
My two close friends, Ray & Chuckie, and I had adjacent paper route territories. In the summer we would take samples our customer's gardens and meet about six in the morning after deliveries and have a fresh Veggybreakfast.
That would be cool if you didn't mind the 12-gauge rock salt rounds in your ass that I would gift you.

Reactions: step.eng69
Back in the 1950s my family used to camp at Hither Hills and on the way out there was a house in Watermill right on Rt. 27, on the right side of the road, that had their entire front yard planted in veggies and had a vegetable stand on the road. We would stop and buy for the week. Running the stand was one of the family children, never saw an adult.
Add 20 years or so and both my parents and I had houses in Montauk and this veggie stand was still open in the summer. That was the 1970s. I don't recall seeing it open in the 2000s. Are you familiar with this property?
Can't say I know I know of the property you're referencing. Other than the Green Thumb the only other place I know on RT 27 in Watermill is The Milk Pail Market but that's on the left side heading toward Montauk. The Milk Pail does have a farm stand but it's on Mecox Rd not RT27. Both The Green Thumb and the Milk Pail Market products are pretty expensive. A chocolate Cream pie at the Green Thumb will run you $38 and an 8oz bag of cookies made out of almond flour will cost you $20. Hampton prices. ;)

Deer had a feast one night in July. A few nubs still trying to grow. Lost season...

Anyone Harvest Honey?

Shabbat Shalom
bumping this forward 2 weeks. Picked 110 pounds tomatoes on Saturday, and the great sauce making has begun. Have 30+ pints canned already and expect well north of 70 when all is said and done. I can tomato sauce in the Ball narrow mouth pint jars, in a Presto 23 quart pressure canner. There are only 2 of us so a jar is a single serving for one meal. peppers are rounding into color and expect to start making stuffed peppers, braised in said tomato sauce starting this week. And various pickled hot and sweet peppers. Use the Sean Brock recipes. How is everyone else doing?

bumping this forward 2 weeks. Picked 110 pounds tomatoes on Saturday, and the great sauce making has begun. Have 30+ pints canned already and expect well north of 70 when all is said and done. I can tomato sauce in the Ball narrow mouth pint jars, in a Presto 23 quart pressure canner. There are only 2 of us so a jar is a single serving for one meal. peppers are rounding into color and expect to start making stuffed peppers, braised in said tomato sauce starting this week. And various pickled hot and sweet peppers. Use the Sean Brock recipes. How is everyone else doing?
Do you ever try roasting the tomatoes before canning them?

I have not but know a chef in local restaurant who does that and I was considering trying that this year. I have plenty to experiment with. Part of problem is I have relatively small oven and large stove top with sone large kettles so more efficient to boil them down.

Last edited:
Reactions: LionJim
This is how my wife makes her sauce. Peppers, onions, garlic, and sometimes a little carrot. Only ingredient we didn't grow this year was the garlic - chippies or squirrels dug them out over the winter..... She has moved to using a large freestanding roaster for the first step, then drains the excess liquid (becomes soup stock) and then she takes the hand blender to it in a big pot and slow cooks it down on the stove top. We are canning and freezing sauce this year - about 30 quarts so far and we are maybe half way there. Going to look at an additional freezer tonight.

We got about 12 gallons of tomatoes and 6+ big green peppers frozen with plenty more to come. Once they're all picked we will make and can our sauce and probably some salsa.

I have not but know a chef in local restaurant who does that and I was considering trying that this year. I have plenty to experiment with. Part of problem is I have relatively small oven and large stove top with sone large kettles so more efficient to boil them down.
Just try some and see how you like it. The roasting seems to intensify the flavor by reducing the amount of water, and the tomato will caramelize. Bon Appetit

Anyone Harvest Honey?

Shabbat Shalom
bumping this forward again. The final tally: 92 pints deepest richest tomato sauce ever, I can in pints because there are only 2 of us and so 1 jar is a serving, 16 quarts bread and butter pickles, 12 pints pickled sweet banana peppers, 12 pints assorted pickled hot peppers, jalapeno, Philadelphia fish, Fresno, 20 pre stuffed and vacuum packed and frozen carmen peppers. Plus massive quantities edamame, green, yellow, dragon tongue beans, tomato sauce eaten fresh and not canned, kale, chard, asparagus........

Garden was wiped out from Hurricane IDA. Planted some carrot seeds before the storm so will wait to see if they do anything. Had just planted tomatoes for the fall season and had pepper plants with blossoms and peppers on them All gone.

Last edited:
My garden is pretty much done too here in western Ct. Within a bit more than a week we had Henri and then Ida. We started with a cold spring with lots of rain, then a rainy summer, and now more rain and water and a dwindling summer. Peppers and beans did well, squash and pumpkins not so much, tomatoes only fair.

Reactions: Fac
That would be cool if you didn't mind the 12-gauge rock salt rounds in your ass that I would gift you.

families-newspaper_delivery-newspaper-paperboy-paper_boy-paper_boy-dhgn914_low.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT