ADVERTISEMENT

OT. How to sell books?

StrawDog

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2002
Over the years I’ve accumulated perhaps 200-300 or so books. Mostly nonfiction, mostly hardcover, mostly excellent condition.
I’m not adverse to donating to local library but would like to sell some if possible. Any ideas on where/how to sell?
(I Tried Amazon and apparently I had an account to sell but said account has “expired”. Can’t for the life of me get that sellers account reset, including calling Amazon). Any ideas are welcomed.

I'd like to learn more about the Amazon account because I have a lot of books to sell too.

In the past, I would find a used book store, but they would cherry pick a few of the nicer books and leave me with the rest.

Then there's e-Bay, where you can try to bundle them into interesting batches.

Over the years I’ve accumulated perhaps 200-300 or so books. Mostly nonfiction, mostly hardcover, mostly excellent condition.
I’m not adverse to donating to local library but would like to sell some if possible. Any ideas on where/how to sell?
(I Tried Amazon and apparently I had an account to sell but said account has “expired”. Can’t for the life of me get that sellers account reset, including calling Amazon). Any ideas are welcomed.
Have you checked out McKay's Used Books -- don't know if they have one near you.

http://mckayusedbooks.com/about-mckay-used-books/

Reactions: PSU Soupy
Make sure you check for first editions before you sell them or donate them. Some can be worth a lot, so you want to make sure you don’t get ripped off.

Donate to a school take tax deduction at value of book?

I used to use half.com but they were bought by ebay. Not sure if it is worth it these days unless you have a book that is rare. Most books sell for cheap then you use Media Mail to ship them which the buyer pays. You still then had to buy the packaging to ship them in(usually a padded big envelope). From my experience, it really wasn't worth my time(listing, packing, taking to post office) and in the end just donated them to the AAU book sale that happened every year here in State College.

Haven't tried Amazon but according to this site, it may be worth it again: https://www.insider.com/the-best-way-to-sell-your-books-online-2016-12

You could put together some other stuff you want to get rid of and have a yard sale. You may not get much but you wont have to deal with the hassles of shipping, etc. Maybe get a few neighbors to join you to attract more people. Of course, be sure to check the latest hourly changes in state and local COVID-19 requirements.
My advice. Donate them if you can find a library to take them.

Haven't tried Amazon but according to this site, it may be worth it again: https://www.insider.com/the-best-way-to-sell-your-books-online-2016-12

The basic instructions for Amazon are in this link. Perhaps it would be best for you to just set up a new account.

FWIW, it's amazing how popular the sale of used books has become. I often go to used book sales at libraries, in search of classic Rev War history books that I don't own. Frequently, these sales are somewhat overrun by the folks that simply scan the book codes, and purchase them simply to resell them on Amazon.

It's probably a long shot, but if you have any books on the Rev War period or bios of people from that era in your collection, let me know. If I don't already own the book, I might be interested in purchasing it.

Yep, set up a new Amazon account and see those that have value there. Values for used books are all over the map, but I would sell my sons college books on Amazon, i.e. those that had enough value to make it worth the Amazon fees and shipping hassle....

We sell all our books at half price books. See if they have a location near you. Just be warned, you don't get much in return.

Not worth the hassle. Check out your local senior center. I donate all of my books to a used bookstore that is run by our local senior center. They are always happy to take them off of my hands. I've donated hundreds of books to them over the years.

I'm in the process of doing the same thing. I came across Decluttr https://www.decluttr.com/

I like this app because you can scan the book barcode with your smartphone and it automatically tallies your prices. You then generate a mailing sticker and they pay postage. Only problem as I thought, you don't get much for most books. Some expensive hardcover books I scanned are worth only a few dollars. I have to consider, is it worth going to the trouble for less compensation that I had hoped for?

I do feel that a majority of the books in my collection are not worth the time to sell for only a few dollars, but I would recommend that you check the value some how. I had an architectural engineering book(not a text book) from a past career in the 90s that was worth money that I sold for $150.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT