ADVERTISEMENT

OT AKB Locked out of IRS ID.me account

dailybuck777

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2018
I set up an ID.me account last April. It was set up to be authenticated by my phone no. Also, has a password that I have no idea of what it is. (Have about 200 password protected accounts) I Login in with my email address. Kept my original phone no., but have a new provider, T-Mobile. Because of that ID.me won't let me use my phone no. (stupid) Its webpage has no solution for people with a disabled phone no. and lost password. I tried to set up a new account with new email address and was blocked.

Wonder if anyone here has any experience and suggestions as to how I can get this taken care of.

Assuming that if I call IRS they will simply try to refer me to Id.me ID.me has a chatbox which so far has been unresponsive. Simply links me to useless FAQs. May have to call a politician to get this done. Anyone have any ideas how to get into my account?

Probably need to call in. I had a similar situation to get access to my mom’s social security account when I got power of attorney and she had no idea what her account info was.

Probably need to call in. I had a similar situation to get access to my mom’s social security account when I got power of attorney and she had no idea what her account info was.
I think SS is much easier to deal with because they have local offices where you can talk to people. Not the case with IRS.

Thanks been there. It doesn't work. Requires 3rd party verification and my only method is phone no., which they won't let me use. My account was never linked to Google or Facebook. (and can't imagine why anyone would trust their most sensitive stuff with either Google or Facebook.
It gets you to a spot to email them with problem though too.

If I did it, but I didn't. Also don't have Facebook account. Tried to open new account with new gmail address and that didn't work.
I guess I don’t understand. The link takes you to “sign in with idme” or “can’t sign in or don’t have account”. Wouldn’t going to can’t sign in and emailing them perhaps get you a workaround?

I guess I don’t understand. The link takes you to “sign in with idme” or “can’t sign in or don’t have account”. Wouldn’t going to can’t sign in and emailing them perhaps get you a workaround?
Already tried. You get a link that has to be authenticated by your phone no. (or something else I don't have) and they de-activated my phone because I went to a different provider. No phone, no way to reset. Simply not a well thought out verification system.

Reactions: psualt
Already tried. You get a link that has to be authenticated by your phone no. (or something else I don't have) and they de-activated my phone because I went to a different provider. No phone, no way to reset. Simply not a well thought out verification system.
Just fyi, it will let me submit an email request with an email. No ID, no sign in, no authentication. Maybe the link is taking you somewhere else. Sorry it didn’t help.

Just fyi, it will let me submit an email request with an email. No ID, no sign in, no authentication. Maybe the link is taking you somewhere else. Sorry it didn’t help.
I submitted the email request. Got a link. Link wouldn't work without 3rd party authentication -- my telephone no. Thanks for your efforts.

I submitted the email request. Got a link. Link wouldn't work without 3rd party authentication -- my telephone no. Thanks for your efforts.
I know your pain. Office 365 put me in the loop for ten days and it took an act of god to get them to fix it.

Reactions: dailybuck777
I feel bad now Daily Buck I called the IRS to check on you after some sketchy posts, sorry if I caused any issues.

I set up an ID.me account last April. It was set up to be authenticated by my phone no. Also, has a password that I have no idea of what it is. (Have about 200 password protected accounts) I Login in with my email address. Kept my original phone no., but have a new provider, T-Mobile. Because of that ID.me won't let me use my phone no. (stupid) Its webpage has no solution for people with a disabled phone no. and lost password. I tried to set up a new account with new email address and was blocked.

Wonder if anyone here has any experience and suggestions as to how I can get this taken care of.

Assuming that if I call IRS they will simply try to refer me to Id.me ID.me has a chatbox which so far has been unresponsive. Simply links me to useless FAQs. May have to call a politician to get this done. Anyone have any ideas how to get into my account?
Yes. I had the same problem months ago.. Site would lock up on me and say incorrect user or ID. After 3 times, it locks for a while, and try again. I too have hundreds of user names with multiple passwords. I knew I had right user name, as I keep them stored, but wasn’t sure if I had changed my password and forget to mark down new one. After multiple days and lock up’s, I finally got it to work, I think by closing out browser and restarting computer. I may have also switched browser back to old IE from chrome. It was something stupid, but that solved it, and has worked ever since.

ADVERTISEMENT