ADVERTISEMENT

OT: How much should it cost to replace an exhaust system?

bdgan

May 29, 2008
My daughter drives a 2006 Dodge Stratus. I took it in for inspection and was told that it needs a new exhaust system. The catalytic converter is fine but it needs new pipes and muffler behind that. Monroe muffler wants $729 and that seems expensive.

I had Monroe replace the same thing 3 years (20,000 miles) ago and it cost $429. Shouldn't an exhaust job last more than 3 years?

FWIW I used to get my brakes done at Monroe. The reason was they guaranteed brakes (pads) for life. But they seemed to last only 2 years and I always needed new rotors. I quit going to Monroe because I was able to get a complete brake job elsewhere (including pads) for less than what Monroe charged for just the rotors. They also seem to last longer. Rotors and pads on my new cars seem to last 3-4 years until they need replaced.

If you are within driving distance to Ephrata Pa, give Red Run Exhaust a call.

My daughter drives a 2006 Dodge Stratus. I took it in for inspection and was told that it needs a new exhaust system. The catalytic converter is fine but it needs new pipes and muffler behind that. Monroe muffler wants $729 and that seems expensive.

I had Monroe replace the same thing 3 years (20,000 miles) ago and it cost $429. Shouldn't an exhaust job last more than 3 years?

FWIW I used to get my brakes done at Monroe. The reason was they guaranteed brakes (pads) for life. But they seemed to last only 2 years and I always needed new rotors. I quit going to Monroe because I was able to get a complete brake job elsewhere (including pads) for less than what Monroe charged for just the rotors. They also seem to last longer. Rotors and pads on my new cars seem to last 3-4 years until they need replaced.
An exhaust job should last far longer than 3 years unless it was damaged by driving over something that damaged the clamps or welded connections.

Since its down-flow from the CC, it seems high to me. I'd go visit 2-3 independent local mechanics and give one of them your business. Those "chain" places are filled with untrained mechanics who generally try to gouge the unknowlegable.

$300-$400 seems more appropriate to me.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Exhaust system should last a hell of a lot longer than 2 years - I have driven all my cars for 10 plus year in the NE with our crappy winters and never had to replace any exhaust parts - the price seems very high as well - you could do it yourself - just unbolt and bolt on new parts but you may have an issue with frozen/rusted nuts (insert joke here) but after only 2 years I would not expects that - you would need a set of jack stands and a jack but that won't cost much.

Figure about $150 for parts, and a few hundred more for labor. Its not a hard or labor intensive job, and as others have pointed out you could do it yourself if you were so inclined. You might even be able to repair any small holes for only a few bucks. That $729 seems way high. Also, exhaust systems should last 10-15 years. If Monroe did the work previously I'd check your warranty and make them fix it right on their dollar.

Reactions: Peetz Pool Boy

As others have said, way too much and the replacement pipes and muffler should have lasted much longer than three years..

I'd look for a new place to have your auto repairs done. Rotors after two years? Unless you're really hard on them, even the the pads should last longer than that.

Call Midas and Meineke and ask them how much for a 2006 Stratus exhaust system from the converter back. Don't take it in as you already know what's wrong. You can purchase a new exhaust system for about $170 including pipes, resonator, and muffler on-line. So figure that the muffler type guys will charge you $200 for the parts and about 2 hours of labor. Labor rate should be about $50 - $60 per hour so figure $120 for the labor or a total of $320. Pay an extra $100 - $150 and get a stainless steel version so you'll never replace it again.

It appears you are learning, as I have, that Monroe is a ripoff.

Call Midas and Meineke and ask them how much for a 2006 Stratus exhaust system from the converter back. Don't take it in as you already know what's wrong. You can purchase a new exhaust system for about $170 including pipes, resonator, and muffler on-line. So figure that the muffler type guys will charge you $200 for the parts and about 2 hours of labor. Labor rate should be about $50 - $60 per hour so figure $120 for the labor or a total of $320. Pay an extra $100 - $150 and get a stainless steel version so you'll never replace it again.

It appears you are learning, as I have, that Monroe is a ripoff.

Thanks for the replies. Here's the final story.

I originally took my daughter's car to Monroe in August 2012 because of the loud noise. They replaced everything behind the catalytic converter. Now they say it needs replaced again. I found my original receipt because their system didn't have a record of this repair. They said that I have a lifetime guarantee on the muffler but no warranty on the pipes or labor. That brought my cost down to approximately $430.

I just called Mavis Discount Tire. They gave me a quote of $284 including the muffler. So much for the value of a lifetime muffler guarantee at Monroe. I'm heading to Mavis tomorrow morning. It's less than half the original quote from Monroe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT